Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Machine Snobbery?

If offered in your area through your district school, see if they offer "getting to know your machine" type class.

Quote Originally Posted by athomenow View Post
    I don't think it was the price of a class but the low class of someone who would talk down to the owner of a machine she didn't consider worth buying. Some people can get very biased about what they're selling and don't realize that at some point that very person might just consider buying what they're selling. We all have to start somewhere and my somewhere 20 yrs ago is what I'm using today. Good luck on your purchase. I'm sure you will be very happy with it. Get what you can out of the class and then go somewhere else if you need more help.
    I thought this also. I read a post a few days ago about a woman who bought a machine and while she didn't actually apologize for it not being top of the line, she did seem a little defensive. I think we all need to remember that we buy what we can afford at the time. If we all waited for money for top of the line, none of us would have ever started quilting. Personally, if the machine works and it is all you can afford, buy it! If you lose interest in quilting, then you haven't invested a lot and can pass it on. If you love it and wear out your machine, then you can upgrade. Please never apologize for not being able to immediately afford something expensive. We all have budgets.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. There's NO excuse for such rudeness to customers! Reminds me of the scenes in Pretty Woman when she is treated like trash at a dress shop, then goes back when transformed and says "Huge Mistake" and flaunts the sales they lost out on. Back in the late 80's I took my 1st quilting classes, and though the LQS didn't sell machines there were several unfriendly comments about my "old" '76 Kenmore- by teacher and classmates. It bugged me, and I didn't take any more classes. Moved upstate, and about 2 years ago I took a class on beginning FMQ using my Brother CS6000i- never learned a thing. Instructor spent her time newbies how to thread and put feet on their fancy Bernina machines, and again there were snide potshots. There are a few "machine elitists" in the Guild I joined, and much worry about damaging expensive machines hauling them to and from sewing sessions. My machine is very light, has 60 stitches, table and many feet included in the package, and didn't cost as much as a car! Bought it used from another quilter. Still have the Kenmore that I use to teach some newbie sewers at a charity group. No one should be intimidated- sewing isn't brain surgery. Love the old metal machines- much more sturdy, and easier to maintain without the expense of a mechanic!

It's all about business, someone wants to shame you into buying expensive machines. It's like putting on pants on leg at a time. Any sewing machine must sew a straight line, and that can give you all kinds of pretty quilt tops. Plus people like that get off on making themselves feel better by belittleing you. You are a good person. Quilt on!
    Nothing beats a try but a failure.
    We all fall short of the mark.

The same people who look down on me for buying a used, older model Janome that I could afford, also look down on me for driving an 11-year-old Toyota Camry (with 84 thousand miles, not a scratch on it, and it runs like a top). Both "machines" are in "like new" condition, and are paid for, and work well. Why should I go into debt just to satisfy some snob who thinks owning the newest and best is just "the cat's meow". I am so far beyond caring what other people think about my belongings, that I just let it go over my head. So don't let it get to you. Besides, I quilt better than the couple of snobs I'm thinking of, and I think that ticks them off, because they have the super duper machines, and thus no excuse for not turning out wonderful quilts --- except they're lazy So they focus on resenting me and my "inferior" machine, when what they really resent is my energy, talent, ambition and perfectionism. Perhaps they do with you as well?
    Last edited by MacThayer; 01-26-2012 at 12:16 AM.
    MacThayer

Blog Entries
    I remember my first quilt teacher saying to the class "As long as you can sew a straight line you can make a quilt". Most LQS are dealers for one or several brands so of course they want to sell you something. What she had no right to do was to try and belittle you or your machine. Think of all the members here who love their FW and other older machines. As EasyPeezy say, there is so much information out there. You don't need to deal with rude people. You can also get lots of help here, as well as lots of encouragement. Keep going and don't let people like this ill mannered woman discourage you.
    Happy Quilting

Yep, there sure is. Some dealers won't even service machines if they aren't bought through them. Of course they're all mass produced. If they weren't they'd be custom and cost a lot more. I just found out. through talking to a Brother dealer, that Brother machines, as well as others, are built with a 10 year life expectency. That's nice to know. And that came from the service man who should know.

"I remember my first quilt teacher saying to the class "As long as you can sew a straight line you can make a quilt". See...THIS TEACHER was a very good teacher.. encouraging no matter what!

Several years back I had a friend who made a baby quilt with an old childs hand crank sewing machine. The little vintage ones? I about fell on the floor laughing, but it had been her daughter's BELOVED toy sewing machine and her daughter was having her first baby. THE BABY QUILT TURNED OUT DANG GOOD too...lol

Even tho' I've already posted I came back to say take your class IF YOU WANT (hopefully you can ignore the snobby woman).. and then keep your eye peeled for your "♥ quilt shop". Eventually, you'll find it and you'll feel great. When you walk in you'll feel like you're walking into your best friend's house. You'll know it when you find it. There are a few fabric stores in my area, but I love a smaller one were everyone is like sweet family.
    "It's a *fine line* between HOBBY and MENTAL ILLNESS"~ Dave Barry

Want to have fun? Want to learn the "tricks of the trade"? Want to meet new friends who have the same love of fabric? Join a guild!!! No one is a snob there! We all share ideas, share machines, help each other to "grow" into our favorite techniques, tricks and expand our horizons, pieced, patched, recovered, appliqued - we all have fun.

I am an educator for a local sewing machine dealer and fabric retailer. We are dealers for 4 lines of machines and service all makes and models. The comment about "mass produced" machines I think is being misunderstood. Sewing machine companies produce machines specifically for the "mass merchandisers" (Walmart, Target, etc) that the dealers do not have access to. The dealers are also limited in their access to parts and service training for them. For the dealer who offers service on machines, I have seen a lot of people with machines purchased from the mass merchandisers leave our store very upset because we are unable to get parts or even service the machine and then blame us for being "machine snobs". As an educator, I try to not to take offense at these emotional moments because I have owned less expensive machines and try to help those who need to learn their machine, whatever brand. Yes, there are dealers who are machine snobs, but the very machine companies who they represent have sometimes forced them into that position by their own making.

When I wanted to buy a serger I called my quilt shop to see what they recommended and to see if they had any used ones. She recommended a Janome that cost more then I wanted to pay. She told me to forget buying a cheaper one because it would be so frustrating to use that I'd never use it. Wrong. I bought the Brother 1034 and I love it.

Blog Entries
    I hate it when people look down on us for what we have or don't have. I have expensive machines and cheap machines. These same people can't tell which one I have used to sew or embroidery on. I am just a poor girl from Arkansas and try to do the best I can. That is what most people do. I am always looking for a bargain and am not ashamed to say I buy cheap when I can. We have a Singer Dealership here where I live and they are so sweet to me. They are all wonderful people and would never make fun of any machine I have. As some of the others have said, just go ahead and get what you can out of this class and look around to find another one you might enjoy more. I have a Brother and it is cheap but it will sew anything. That was the reason I bought it because it will sew thick material.
    I guess I have ranted long enough. Enjoy your Brother and learn, that is what I am doing. Have a great day. Joy
    Life is SEW great!!!!!!

I had a similar problem with a Brother machine purchased from Amazon - took it into a local authorized dealer for repair
    and was given a very hard time because I did not purchase the machine from them. Complained to Brother headquarters and did not get any satisfaction.
    Be kinder than is necessary because everyone you meet is
    fighting some kind of battle

Oh my gosh! I bought my machine on ebay, 2 year old Elegante 2 for a fabulous price, got to know the seller and have been amazingly please with the machine. I called local dealer and asked if I could purchase classes and he refused because I did not buy the machine from him and was quite arrogant! I called a LQS that had previously sold these machine and she gave me an unlimted lesson for $20! The worst thing got the dealer is that he has lost about 10 potential customer (I was so appalled that I mention it to every quilter that I meet!)
    Sondra

"Same at the Pfaff shop..he is only allowed to work on Pfaff machines"

Not so where I bought my Pfaff, they are an authorized Pfaff dealer who sells and repairs all brands of machines.
    They aren't a quilt shop so that maybe the difference.

Blog Entries
    EllieGirl, REMEMBER we are QUILTERS!!!! That makes us the people who see BEAUTY, GRACE and GREAT DEALS all around us. We come from STRONG! stock. We learn to make SOMETHING from NOTHING!!!! We know how to make people feel love (from the things - sewing & quilting), we make. Some of us sew by HAND. Some sew on a machine OVER 100 yerar old (with out power other than from them). Still others sew on HAND-ME-DOWN machines (from friends, sisters, mothers and grandmothers). And still others sew on NEW machines (that some can only dream about). Even after all the different quilters, machines and kinds of quilts - we ALL do the same thing in different ways. But we do this for the SAME reason - THE LOVE OF QUILTING!!!!!! Remember your quilts show YOUR HEART AND SOUL!!!! not your machine. People do not see your machine, they see YOU and YOUR LOVE AND KINDNESS. Never feel BAD about anything you make or use to make your gifts from the heart.

Quote Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
    I bought a Brother SE400 from Amazon. It's a combination embroidery/sewing machine and it was on sale. I called a local sewing shop about classes and told them my machine. The woman commented about my machine being mass produced (isn't everything mass produced) so they don't sell the machine and I would have to pay $50 for the class. No problem and I attended the class today. My machine was the simplest one there and the only one a combination machine. During the class again it was mentioned about mass produced vs dealer. What's the difference and is there an "attitude" about buying machines online or at stores other than sewing stores?
    When I took a class at one of our LQS's the lady there also made some snobby remark about my new Janome, but when I took a class at another LQS the instructor told us if any of us was having an attitude about machines, to leave our attitude at the door. I really enjoyed that class.

Blog Entries
    There is a sewing machine etc. store here in my area and they have been in business since the early 70's and I took my sewing/embroidery machine in for a service and was looking at their "used machines (many which are quite nice and well priced) - did not find anything so looked at a new BrotherX650 which they were demoing - they wanted $999. so I looked on Ebay and found the same machine (which is now renamed but the same Brother machine) online at Ebay for $650 no tax, no shipping - factory serviced. It was new but had been used in a Brother exhibition (whatever they call it). I am the original owner with all the benefits. Got it from a sewing machine company somewhere near New Orleans and was able to call their 800 number for additional info. It works like a charm and I saved several hundred $$$. Needless to say, the store would not be happy to hear this and I would have to pay for any class I take but it is so similar to my Babylock Ellegeo.
    Jeanne

I have a Brother SQ9000, not the most expensive machine avalible and yes mass produced, but what I can afford. I would love to afford one of the high end machines with all the bells and whistles or even one without all the bells and whistles, but I make do with what I have. It sews just fine for what i'm doing. Around here it seems at the LQS the average class is about $50 or so. To me that isn't a bad price for someone sharing their knowledge and showing you how to do something.
    When I posted a topic recently about my Brother locking up when I got a thread jam and I kinda apologized for the machine not being the best, someone told me to never apologize for my equipment. So I won't anymore.
    If your machine does what you want it to do, gives you features you like then enjoy it and make many lovely quilts with it. If others can't deal with that, then it's on them.
    Tammy

Life Is A Banquet and Most Poor Suckers Are Starving!

What is the big deal

Hi
    I dont' believe I posted here yet, but with this note, I had too.
    Expensive sewing machines have their place. I have several antique machines that I LOVE better than my viking. I do like my viking, but alas, also love my oldies but goodies. Beautiful quilts come from all different sources. Look to the antiques where no machines were used. You don't need a $2500..00 sewing machine to make beautiful things. Just skill. I learned to hand piece and quilt before using a machine. I love the process and the satisfaction of a job well done by any means. Use your machine and love the process. That is what is important and you can not go wrong. Your equipment is just part of the process. Enjoy it all. Don't let others diswade you from your goal. Be creative and have fun.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    I don't think paying $50 for a class was her point...she paid the money to take the class, and then was singled out as having an inferior machine in front of the class...and THAT is not good business, and it'd be a cold day you know where before I EVER spent another dime with that dealer.
    That's what I was thinking Charlee - IF she accepted the money for the class, then there should have been no mention of superior/inferior machines.
    TwandasMom

ah....we have a local quilt shop/bernina dealership. Not really even interesting in selling fabric to anyone who did not purchase a machine from her. Really cold shoulder...wonder how the woman ended up in retail.

I think there is an attitude in general about the type of machine you buy. Seems to me that if you don't have a top of the line Bernina (and not too many of us can afford that) then you are part of the lower echelon. Who cares? If I am correct, I think that Ricky Tims still sews his quilts on his Mom's (or could be his Grandma's) old treddle Singer sewing machine and I certainly think he does a pretty good job - don't you? I have a Janome myself that I bought at a Quilt Festival and I just love it - so much so that I bought a smaller version to take to classes with me. My one complaint is that I do not have a place less than about 100 miles where I can take my machines to have them serviced. Of course my local Bernina dealer won't (or maybe can't) do this for me even though they serviced all makes of machines before they became exclusively Bernina. I really hope you enjoy your Brother - I know you will and as someone else said you can get a bunch of information on line and from the great quilting books out there. Also - join your local quilt guild as I am sure they will have some really good classes and it won't matter what machine you have.

Quote Originally Posted by dopeterson View Post
    If I am correct, I think that Ricky Tims still sews his quilts on his Mom's (or could be his Grandma's) old treddle Singer sewing machine and I certainly think he does a pretty good job - don't you?
    Ricky Tims appears in quite a bit of advertising for Bernina, so I imagine he does use their machines. He at least seems to be telling us too... Here he is talking about the 830 (a machine that, in my opinion, should drive you home from the store) http://www.berninausa.com/popup-fT-n...-p306-sUS.html.

He often mentions his mother's old electric Kenmore in interviews (and that he still has it), is that what you are thinking of?

I have to say, when I got a Bernina, I had no idea it was an "it" brand. It cost less than the Janome I was looking at, so I picked it as the affordable option. (Brother was my other choice. I recently found out there is a Viking dealer near here, but didn't know it at the time.)

I think Brother gets a bad rap. I loved my Walmart brother and had it for decades- I couldn't afford one when I was looking for a machine that go round, but wanted a CS6000i and recommend them to any beginner, the dealer machines are really good too. And the 1034d is the best entry level serger there is.
    Last edited by Skittl1321; 01-26-2012 at 12:56 PM.

Blog Entries
    You can say she is not being a snob, but there are a multitude of ways to handle things without talking down to a person, and she sounds like a snob to me. If she's not a snob, she's doing a mighty good impression of one!

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    actually dealer shops have a contract with the machine companies they sell for...they really do not have to offer you classes at all if you buy a NON-dealership machine!
    Do not blame the shop person, she is not being a snob it is just that the machine company has rules.

Our Bernina shop sells Bernina and Janome and that is ALL she is allowed to do repair/cleaning on! If she get caught working on another brand, she loses her licensing with the machine company!

Same at the Pfaff shop..he is only allowed to work on Pfaff machines!

and neither of them will do classes on machine NOT bought at those stores!
    Kerry
    ~ American by birth, Southern by the grace of God ~

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast