Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Machine Snobbery?

Quote Originally Posted by crafterrn1 View Post
    Oh does this strike a cord with me. Many years ago I wanted to make a Trip around the world colorwash quilt. I paid for the class. I had the horrible experience of having the instructor picking out all my fabric. Then I loaded my Kenmore into the car. Drove 45 mins to the store. I was setting up when this same woman looks at me and says. Oh you have a kenmore machine. Think looking down her nose at me. Yes I said why? She luanched into a tirade on low end machines. Then I had the wrong thread(Coats and Clarke grey). I go to the thread rack to buy the "correct thread". They were out of the light grey so I bought the darker grey. I was never comfortable in the class. I dii finish my quilt. I actually sleep under it every night. I teach quilting now. I never ever say anything about a machine or supplies unless it really is a bad choice. But I do so with gentleness. I as a consumer would never take another class with them and I never did. BTW the 4 stores closed about 3 years later. Luann
    I have been following this thread and just had to comment on your post. For many years Kenvore machines were made by Janome, as are New Home. Most of the big machines manufacturers were more than willing to make their machines for big retailers to be sold under a private label. Brother also makes machines for others. I noted a post that thought that the machines sold by JoAnns, Walmart had cheaper parts, not entirely true, unless they change a model number or private label it in someway. I teach sewing classes locally one on one and have seen so many machines that I can tell you that unless someone needs fancy stitches, if it straight stitches, zig zags, goes forward and reverse its really about all one needs other than a zipper foot. A lot of the old singers only did straight stitching, and forward/reverse and some dropped their feed dogs, not all. Perfect for quilting. Give me vintage metal gears any day over the plastic junk that is computerized and has gears guaranteed to disintegrate. I am sure some of the top of the line machines have better service records than others, but for me I know what I do not need. There is no place for snobbery in the marketplace, no wonder those people had business failures.
    pat design

I agree, she wants you to upgrade, hold you ground! I still have a Viking 1+ and still love it! I needed it cleaned and the owner of the store tried her best to tell me that it wouldn't last forever. I told her I loved this machine. Still using it today!

Quote Originally Posted by patdesign View Post
    I have been following this thread and just had to comment on your post. For many years Kenvore machines were made by Janome, as are New Home. Most of the big machines manufacturers were more than willing to make their machines for big retailers to be sold under a private label. Brother also makes machines for others. I noted a post that thought that the machines sold by JoAnns, Walmart had cheaper parts, not entirely true, unless they change a model number or private label it in someway. I teach sewing classes locally one on one and have seen so many machines that I can tell you that unless someone needs fancy stitches, if it straight stitches, zig zags, goes forward and reverse its really about all one needs other than a zipper foot. A lot of the old singers only did straight stitching, and forward/reverse and some dropped their feed dogs, not all. Perfect for quilting. Give me vintage metal gears any day over the plastic junk that is computerized and has gears guaranteed to disintegrate. I am sure some of the top of the line machines have better service records than others, but for me I know what I do not need. There is no place for snobbery in the marketplace, no wonder those people had business failures.
    I had a brother cs6000i and loved her while she was working, and I did work her daily, even fmq on a king sized quilt. The machine did everything I asked until the day she locked up (after 3 years of use). The repairman said she was toast as the plastic gears had stripped, so I bit the bullet and bought a Janome 6600. I could tell right from the start that this was a well built machine. I haven't regretted the cost once and I am sure that she will outlast me by many years. A new brother, Singer, or any of the other "cheap" brands may be appealing, but think twice. They will not last with the constant use a quilter puts a machine through. The older Singers, like previously mentioned are still good machines because of the metal parts and simplicity of design, but the new ones are mostly junk. JMHO

Power Poster
    If the shop offered a "how to use YOUR machine" class - then it should have been honored with no belittling commentary.

I have some older "simpler" machines that sew beautifully. As someone else said, if it does a decent forward and back stitch and zigzags decently, for many people that will take care of 90% or more of their sewing needs.

One has to take into consideration what type of sewing (or styles) one might do.

I'm a jeans and t-shirt person. I need "muscle" in my machines, but not many fancy stitches.

If I worked on/with satins, laces, sheer fabrics, etc. -my needs might be different.

Blog Entries
    I have had several different types of machines...as of now I have a Brother PC-420, and a Brother PQ-1500...and I love them both! They both have several of the "high end" options such as a knee-lifter and a thread cutter, and I just could not see paying more money for a "brand" name...when my machines have exactly what I wanted! I also have run into what I would call "machine snobbery"...I just take it with a grain of salt, at my lqs meetings, my machine works just as good if not better than a lot of the other more expensive machines. Not only that, but this way I have money left over to buy more fabrics!!... I also must say that at the lqs I attend most of the ladies I am in group with would never make someone feel "less than" about anything, let alone the price/brand of their machine.
    Take care all,
    Kif
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest~Mark Twain

Folks do put on airs.

The machine/fabric snobs--it is their shop and inventory, they may only work on specific brands, but there is a polite way to treat people, even if they are not customers today. I, too, have experienced curt answers when inquiring about machine repair. A polite explanation of franchise rules would only take seconds more than the brush-off.

Our late, lamented local Singer store sold Singers but the repairman would work on anything. The sales staff were always patient and polite.

Blog Entries
    I have had several different types of machines...as of now, in addition to the vintage Singer 66 I inherited, I have a Brother PC-420, and a Brother PQ-1500...and I love them both! They both have several of the "high end" options such as a knee-lifter and a thread cutter, and I just could not see paying more money for a "brand" name...when my machines have exactly what I wanted! I also have run into what I would call "machine snobbery"...I just take it with a grain of salt, at my lqs meetings, my machine works just as good if not better than a lot of the other more expensive machines. Not only that, but this way I have money left over to buy more fabrics!!... I also must say that at the lqs I attend most of the ladies I am in group with would never make someone feel "less than" about anything, let alone the price/brand of their machine. I totally understand local sewing machine shops needing to make a living, but to pay several hundred more dollars for the same machine is just not something I want to nor am financially able to do. That's one great thing about this board, we all have differences, and we can all embrace them, and share our of love of quilting and ideas with each other!
    Take care all,
    Kif
    Oops, went to edit last post, instead did a double post, sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by childofgod View Post
    I've noticed that no one on this board has admitted to having a new Singer machine. Some have stated that new singers are'nt any good. I just bought a Singer Futura 4in1 back in Nov. and love it. Does everything the other brands do but about a quarter of the cost. Machine snobbery is everywhere.
    Well just let me change that. I have a new-to-me Singer 301a and I love her to pieces or maybe that should be "I love her piecing". There aren't any Singer dealers in my area anymore but that wouldn't make any difference. I have an older computerized Singer, a gift from brother, and a 1930's Singer and I like them all. The 301a may become my favorite, though I enjoy the fancy stitches on the comp. and the easy piecing on the oldie.

I favor simplicity in machines I have to operate and maintain--my kitchen range with burners, broiler and oven and nothing else and the plainest washer and dryer I could find. If I could have a car without a computer I'd be happier than a cow in clover.

Does she think the high end machine the dealer sells are made by hand? They are mass produced too. They may have more stitches and other amenities (and a higher price) but every sewing machine is mass produced.

P.S. I too would go elsewhere. I have no patience with people who make snide, passive-aggressive remarks. Too vexing.
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

Oh yeah, the lady was protecting her territory - and sales. I just find it deplorable that a reputable place would resort to such tactics. Shame, shame, shame. It would be a store I would have trouble visiting again.
    Sharon in Dayton
    ....with God, all things are possible....

Fabriclovr
    I have read through this post and it makes me sick to think that a 'teacher' would look down on the machine that is being used by a new student! They should be concentrating on the student and any good teacher, should be able to teach the basics on any machine purchased from any location. Insisting that they pay for the class, ok, I can understand that because they didn't buy the machine from the dealer and most dealers give complementary starter classes if you purchase a machine from them.

I look at it this way, buy what you can comfortably afford, if that means a machine from Walmart, then buy it, if it means a 10k TOL machine from a dealer, then buy it. It is what makes you happy and you don't have to apologize for using the machine you love. Lots of quilters use vintage machines. Lots of new quilters use the machine that was handed down to them from their mother or grandmother. You don't need all of the bells and whistles to do this craft (dont get me wrong, they are nice) but they are not necessary. If your machine can sew a straight stitch and is in good working order and you are comfortable with it.. USE IT and be proud of it!

Machine snobs.. give me a break, geese!

About 3 years ago when I decided that I was going to learn to quilt I bought a Brother XR-9000 from Amazon. It was a factory refurbished machine and was a good price for me. I bought it because it had the drop feed and there were lots of different decorative stitches. This little machine has ran perfectly and I've never had a problem with it. It's light enough to pick up & take anywhere. It is my go to machine when I piece my quilt tops. The only problem is the small throat space and the fixed size in the numbers & alphabet. I have bought a used Juki & frame to do my quilting. I have actually looked at the SE-400 for the embroidery functions. Please, let me know how you like this machine. Debbie

Fabriclovr
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie B View Post
    About 3 years ago when I decided that I was going to learn to quilt I bought a Brother XR-9000 from Amazon. It was a factory refurbished machine and was a good price for me. I bought it because it had the drop feed and there were lots of different decorative stitches. This little machine has ran perfectly and I've never had a problem with it. It's light enough to pick up & take anywhere. It is my go to machine when I piece my quilt tops. The only problem is the small throat space and the fixed size in the numbers & alphabet. I have bought a used Juki & frame to do my quilting. I have actually looked at the SE-400 for the embroidery functions. Please, let me know how you like this machine. Debbie
    Personally, I love anything Brother, so get what functions you dream about. I also use a Juki on my frames and it works wonderful! I used to do embroidery, but have strayed away from it so the embroidery functions are not my cup of tea anymore. I cant justify paying that much for a machine if I am not going to use the functions to the fullest. JMHO Buy what you can afford and the features your looking for at the time is my motto (but I own 8 machines....just saying ) LOL

Susan, I have 3 machines (a 1953 Singer 15-125, my Brother, & the Juki) and my husband thinks that is overkill. Can't wait to tell him that Susan from the board has 8! I keep asking him "How many golf clubs does it actually take to play golf?"...ha. Debbie

Fabriclovr
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie B View Post
    Susan, I have 3 machines (a 1953 Singer 15-125, my Brother, & the Juki) and my husband thinks that is overkill. Can't wait to tell him that Susan from the board has 8! I keep asking him "How many golf clubs does it actually take to play golf?"...ha. Debbie
    I have often wondered how many different types of wrenches it takes to fix a car myself.. then he asks me how many spools of thread do you need to make a quilt.. ok, he wins this round! LOL

You payed the extra fee so she should not down talk your machine. I would approach them and let them know you are not comfortable with the way you are being singled out.

As for quilting and what sewing machine is best, all you need is one that you can get a good consistent 1/4 inch on and if you like wonky, all you need is one that sews a line. Enjoy your Brother machine. I bought a "mass" produced Brother quilting edition for a dear friend over Amazon and send it to her on the other side of the world. She is loving hers. I bought it because other people over all liked it very much.
    Last edited by Annaquilts; 01-28-2012 at 07:38 AM.
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabriclovr View Post
    I have often wondered how many different types of wrenches it takes to fix a car myself.. then he asks me how many spools of thread do you need to make a quilt.. ok, he wins this round! LOL
    AAAhhh, gotta love our dear hubbies, eh??.. I have my quilting, he has his woodworking, fishing, and hunting.. I talk "quilt", he talks "shop", and we both are quite content...

Fabriclovr
    This is the one that I sew with. There isn't anything that I have found from fine lace to leather that this won't sew through like butter. I'm in love if its possible to be in love with a machine

http://www.brother-usa.com/homesewin...0#.TyR1usU1_NU

On my earlier post I failed to mention (Janome owner), I do have 3 Singers, have never had a problem with them except one that I let set too long and it froze up..Got it repaired and it's good as new. Two of the Singers I have are regular workhorses, can't beat them. I definitely will/would not patronize rude establishments!!

Took a class at the LQS. Three ladies came with their super-duper highest end Vikings which they could barely get in the door. We spent the beginning part of the class with the instructor showing these ladies how to change the tension and do other simple things. They were so intimidated by these machines they were afraid to touch them.. I could not help but think someone oversold them.. They would have been better off with much simple machines of any kind.

I have the simplest Elna they make. I know other people who have much fancier machine. My sister has an old singer that if she bought a good machine like it today it would cost her over $3000. She never uses it.

I am tired of people who are like this. We went to buy a replacement computer last month. I have my laptop and all we need it a simple computer for my dh to do his emails and some small things, nothing fancy. The guy gave me all kinds of attitude because I wanted one of the simplest towers that they had. I just didn't back down. My sons who love computers agreed with me that this is the one that we needed in the house.

I know they are trying to sell the high end machines but don't get an attitude when someone knows what she wants.

Machine Snobs are directly related family members of Quilt Police. Don't allow either one into your life for a minute.

I have a Pfaff from the 70's that is an absolute workhorse. I've thought of getting a new machine, but my old one just WON'T QUIT WORKING.

So, when I got ready to buy a serger, I found one of the exact vintage and brand on Craig's list, and paid only $100 for it. Downloaded the book off the internet, and once I got the thing threaded, it works like a charm.

Not everyone has several grand sitting around with which to buy an expensive machine. And that snob at the store who made you feel bad should be fired. I own a retail store, and if I found out one of my employees made a customer feel bad, I would be very, very angry. Livid.
    Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and annoys the pig.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
    My machine was the simplest one there and the only one a combination machine. During the class again it was mentioned about mass produced vs dealer. What's the difference and is there an "attitude" about buying machines online or at stores other than sewing stores?
    Sounds downright rude to me. Everyone there would know who she was referring to. Sounds like a case of making her product look good by putting the other guy down. I've never liked those kinds of sales tactics. If you're happy with your machine that's all that matters. Don't let it bother you.

Blog Entries
    Ok, anyone one near Richmond,va. All brands is the place to go: I have been going their a long time now.
    You can use any sewing or sewing embroidery machine. They will bring it in & out for you for service or class, bought their or not. They work on any sewing machine, order parts, clean, etc. They also sell vacums & service them. You can take trips on a bus to Quilt shows with them & they stop at fabric outlets. Most teachers do not work in the store. Their are some free classes, how to classes, quilt, bags, shower curtains, embroidery,etc. They answer your questions, help you figure what you need, some classes like Diva day with lunch. I like it. They have PJ nights, classes for kids, kids camp in te summer, etc.
    Last edited by sherian; 01-29-2012 at 04:12 PM.

My DD just bought a new machine on Amazon, and she loves it.It's a Brother embroidery quilting machine, and it came with a DVD with instructions on the machine and how to clean, oil,and basics.She doesn't care what kind of name it has, it's what she wanted in a machine.
    God creates miracles every day,you just have to look.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast