Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine Snobbery? >

Machine Snobbery?

Machine Snobbery?

Old 01-25-2012, 11:15 AM

I'm also sorry about the snotty attitude the store/teacher dished out.

My LQS is a Bernina dealer. However, they do offer a beginners class titled "Welcome to Your Machine" which is open to anyone with any brand machine. What they do ask is that you've at least turned the machine on so that you know it works before showing up at the class. There is a modest fee to cover the teacher's time. They also offer a series of classes for new Bernina owners specific to the machine that they've purchased - those are restricted to the particular machines - and I have no issue with that policy.

I've taken several of the quilting classes through the store now, and been very impressed with their customer service. When I walked in with my "new to me" - "purchased of eBay" vintage Bernina, several people got excited about seeing one of the classic machines and told me stories about how this was the machine she bought when she started sewing in the 70's. I'm glad to give my "new to me" machines a new home.

Cheers, K
Old 01-25-2012, 11:17 AM

i`d finish my class then go elswhere...lots of good suggestions on here .....i only took one basic course and learned the rest on my own....your machine will do just fine....thy do have to charge for the course, that`s understandable , but thy don`t need to get snobbish lol
Old 01-25-2012, 11:22 AM

ditto........
Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
I don't think paying $50 for a class was her point...she paid the money to take the class, and then was singled out as having an inferior machine in front of the class...and THAT is not good business, and it'd be a cold day you know where before I EVER spent another dime with that dealer.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by CorgiNole View Post
I'm also sorry about the snotty attitude the store/teacher dished out.

My LQS is a Bernina dealer. However, they do offer a beginners class titled "Welcome to Your Machine" which is open to anyone with any brand machine. What they do ask is that you've at least turned the machine on so that you know it works before showing up at the class.
That's a nice class. The three different Bernina dealers I've known all allow you to use a classroom model of their machines if you don't own a Bernina (for no cost)- but I've never known one that lets you bring another machine in.

My first sewing machine was a Walmart brother, but I took a class using a Bernina. All the skills transferred fine to my machine. Twenty or so years and another machine too, and now I own a Bernina
Old 01-25-2012, 11:40 AM

My husband always says that everyone is a potential customer. I worked as an account receivable clerk and dispatched orders for a propane and petroleum company for 8 years. I always put a smile on my face even when I didn't feel like it. I left that job in 2004. Just yesterday, I visited with one of my customers at Walmart. He is in his 80's now and still remembered me. He couldn't remember my name, but he knew where I worked and that I was the girl that always smiled.

Life is too short to let other people ruin my fun. Keep on using your machine and enjoy every stitch. btw - I sew on a Brother cs6000i and I do enjoy every stitch.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:02 PM

Yikes! That woman would have gotten an earful from me! If quilting, the very best machine is the simplest ever made - an old fashioned Singer (now a machine that quilters are now clamoring for!), and NOT one of those blow your mind high cost, does everything but cook your supper, machines. Just remember, some of the most beautiful quilts ever made were not made on a high cost snobby machine, but by very talented quilters on the simplest machine. Expensive machines can't help at all if the quilter is not talented. You just proudly go to the class with your machine and your talent gained by practicing and your quilting will shine. The snob is just showing everyone how ignorant she really is.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:21 PM

I wouldn't worry about what was said at that shop. I have the same machine you have and am very pleased with it. I did have a warranty issue and when I tried to get it repaired through an authorized shop, she told me flat out that they can't do warranty work on something that was mass produced and would only do the bigger more expensive machines.... I contacted Brother and needless to say they are no longer an authorized company as she had done this many times to others. I found another company who did it for me and didn't have any issues with the warranty. Some dealers think that if its not sold there than it isnt good enough. I say buy what you can afford and it will be what you want... Like I said, I have that machine and my mother has a bigger model, but I like mine the best as it is so easy to work with. If you have any problems I know there are tons of us who are willing to help you out, myself included

Enjoy your new toy!!
Old 01-25-2012, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by majormom View Post
Expensive machines can't help at all if the quilter is not talented.
I'm not sure this is true. My quilting has become miles better since I got an expensive machine. My piecing accuracy has increased, and my FMQing ability has skyrocketed from what it was.

HOWEVER- a talented quilter (and I'm not one of them) doesn't need an expensive machine as a crutch. They can work with anything.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:55 PM

I've noticed that no one on this board has admitted to having a new Singer machine. Some have stated that new singers are'nt any good. I just bought a Singer Futura 4in1 back in Nov. and love it. Does everything the other brands do but about a quarter of the cost. Machine snobbery is everywhere.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:43 PM

I have personally experienced machine snobbery at my LQS. It's sad because they offer some great classes but I go away feeling so inferior it's not worth the pain.