Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine Snobbery? >

Machine Snobbery?

Machine Snobbery?

Old 01-25-2012, 01:58 PM
Power Poster

Yes, there are snobs in the world. Car snobs, food snobs, wine snobs, clothing snobs, fabric snobs, sewing machine snobs, and snobs in areas I don't even know. The best approach I know is to not buy into their game. Enjoy what you have and don't let negative talk dissuade you from doing great things.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:31 PM

I decided to try my hand at sewing and quilting back in October. My aunt showed me her Singer she bought at Walmart for $79. My friend showed me her Kenmore that she paid a couple hundred for. I hadn't even found this board yet. My mom always had Singers, so I took myself down to Joann (I didn't even know LQS even existed! LOL) and bought the nicest Singer I could afford, the Confidence Stylist. It ended up being more machine than I would've paid for, but it was 50% off, so I ended up with a nicer machine than my actual budget allowed for. I'm pleased as punch with it. I know the newer ones have a reputation, but this thing does everything I need it to, and isn't so basic (like my aunt tried to talk me into) that I'll outgrow it soon. I use it just about every day and I love it. Don't be ashamed of your machine; your LQS should be ashamed of the way they treated you!

I'm a wedding photographer. If I treated one of my brides who couldn't afford my biggest collection the way you were treated, I'd be out of business soon enough! We all have a choice; mine, in this situation, would be to finish this class and move on to a shop that values ALL their customers equally.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:34 PM

Shame on that salesperson!!!!those comments were unnecessary!!! Sounds to me like she most likely lost a future sale and who knows how many people she has turned off with comments like that!!!
Old 01-25-2012, 04:29 PM
Power Poster

It tickles me every time I'm in a Fab Shop and listen to the sales pitch these people have. How did we ever sew anything on a treadle. I love my simple machine and everyone else can keep those high priced jobs. I did buy a Bernina 15 years ago when embroydery was the newest thing. I haven't used the E attachment once in all those years. I do like my bernina, and my simple singer from a school sale and my treadle the best! Oh, and my DGMs 1935 singer. Wow!
peace

Mad Quilter Rocks!

Last edited by ube quilting; 01-25-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
Our Brother dealer cannot give free classes to those who buy the mass-market, rather than the dealer line. They can't afford it.

It isn't that they look down upon the mass market machines (there are a few of the project runway machines that overlap between the mass market/dealer lines and they recommended I just buy that on amazon) it is that the dealer support is built into the price of the machine.

Our brother dealer offers a $200 package where they offer lifetime classes for a mass market machine, as well as the basic cleaning that would come with a dealer purchased machine.

It isn't snobbery, it is business. $50 sounds reasonable for most classes, IMO.
A business owner who wants my business would do well to make me feel good about me and my equipment. She doesn't know when I will want a high dollar machine like the one she sells and if she has made me feel bad, I certainly will not buy it from her shop. In these perilous economic times, shop owners/managers need to watch their attitudes! froggyintexas
Old 01-25-2012, 08:02 PM

don't let people like that upset you. i just tell them its great they have what they want but i am happy with my old new home. it does everything i need it too. as for the lady she just wants to make a sell places like that wouldn't see me back cause i don't like the computer machines to work with so there wouldn't be a hope of her making a sell.My SIL finally got the 5000 dollar combo she wanted and showed it to me . it was great for her but just not my thing. the other sister in law is uppity too cause her quilts win blue ribbons and she has all the toys and all. I caught on though she does the tops and sends them out to be quilted. that is fine but she shouldn't act like she did it all. I am not one to keep up with the jones and happy for what works for me. lol sell persons wouldn't be happy with me for sure
Old 01-25-2012, 08:07 PM

I was told the same thing about my SE270D (disney machine)...it's similar to yours. I took it to a different dealer when we moved here to TX...the dealer said Brother would not let dealers sell these machines...not because they are mass produced (all machines are mass produced...that's a copout)...but because the company wants dealers to sell the higher end machines only. This tech/dealer said my little Disney machine was one of the best & easiest to work on he has seen. I love my little machine...though I now have a 2nd embroidery/sewing machine (Futura CE150)...and like the larger hoop...I love the Brother for sewing...it cuts the thread, it has a cartridge for the top thread..and it really does thread the needle for you.

Don't worry about people putting your machine down...it's a great machine...all the brother machines I have owned have been good machines. Don't forget though...use either 60 or 90 wt bobbin thread only in the bobbin for embroidery...yep...had to have my disney machine timed 3x before I figured that one out...finally read the manual!

Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
I bought a Brother SE400 from Amazon. It's a combination embroidery/sewing machine and it was on sale. I called a local sewing shop about classes and told them my machine. The woman commented about my machine being mass produced (isn't everything mass produced) so they don't sell the machine and I would have to pay $50 for the class. No problem and I attended the class today. My machine was the simplest one there and the only one a combination machine. During the class again it was mentioned about mass produced vs dealer. What's the difference and is there an "attitude" about buying machines online or at stores other than sewing stores?
Old 01-25-2012, 08:57 PM

Sometimes the social interaction with other students is fun. I love my quilting friends, some from classes.
Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
She just wants to sell you one of her expensive machines. If it was me I would
go someplace else. I learned to quilt on my own and using the internet, buying
a few books and reading this board. If I'm looking for a technique I usually
google and if I can't find the answer I just ask here. There are all kinds of tutorials
here and on the web. I save my money for fabric.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas View Post
A business owner who wants my business would do well to make me feel good about me and my equipment. She doesn't know when I will want a high dollar machine like the one she sells and if she has made me feel bad, I certainly will not buy it from her shop. In these perilous economic times, shop owners/managers need to watch their attitudes! froggyintexas
I so agree with you.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
I bought a Brother SE400 from Amazon. It's a combination embroidery/sewing machine and it was on sale. I called a local sewing shop about classes and told them my machine. The woman commented about my machine being mass produced (isn't everything mass produced) so they don't sell the machine and I would have to pay $50 for the class. No problem and I attended the class today. My machine was the simplest one there and the only one a combination machine. During the class again it was mentioned about mass produced vs dealer. What's the difference and is there an "attitude" about buying machines online or at stores other than sewing stores?
Dear Elliegirl, don't you ever feel diminished by any sort of snobs. I started sewing as a young wife and mother when I was 18 years old (53 years ago) on a Featherweight. First thing I made was curtains and slipcovers for my couch and chair. Then I made a lined suit. Did it all on my own, no lessons. I sewed on the FW until 11 years ago when I purchased a Singer cheepie. Have continued to sew for others (mostly bedspreads and curtains and table runners.) Never have I felt guilty or less than a good sewer than anyone who has a machine worth much more money than mine. I now have a Bernina embroidery machine (my Babylock died last year, loved that machine so much) and recently purchased a Singer 401A at Goodwill for $30.00 and it sews beautifully. A lot of money doesn't define what is good and useful. Our use of it does though. Chin up and know that you are alright. Best wishes to you and enjoy sewing on your machine.