Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
machine stitching the binding questions >

machine stitching the binding questions

machine stitching the binding questions

Old 09-03-2009, 06:27 PM

Can you show us a picture? I can't imagine!
Old 09-03-2009, 07:45 PM

I have been machine binding my quilts for a while now. I am not making any heirlooms and I think that they will hold up better. :-) The last big quilt, that I sewed the binding on by hand, made made the area running below my thumb hurt for a long time.
I did like the youtube tutorials by Leah Day that someone suggested. I learned some things from them. Thanks.

When using Elmer's School Glue, do you hit it with an iron to dry as you go? I woould appreciate an answer to that. Do you also use a smaller tip on the glue?
Old 09-03-2009, 09:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tallulah
When using Elmer's School Glue, do you hit it with an iron to dry as you go? I woould appreciate an answer to that. Do you also use a smaller tip on the glue?
Sharon Schamber uses a small tip on the glue and also irons it as she goes. Here is a link to her Youtube video on bindings. She demonstrates how she uses the glue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PE0Yq9iGlc
Old 09-04-2009, 05:25 AM

I just did a quilt where I used the Steam A Seam 1/4" tape. I sewed the binding to the front then I ironed the steam a seam to the back edge and ironed my binding to it then I sewed my binding down from the front and it all came out real even. lizziebethsblogspot.com
Also if you go to patchworktimes.com Judy has a real good video of how she sews her binding on by machine.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
Originally Posted by Esqmommy
Stitching by machine NEVER looks as pretty as hand-sewn - I don't care what anyone says... :D
Well, I beg to differ with you on this point. I'm sure you meant no offense by your comment, but I would like to toss in another perspective here. There are many of us out here, that, for whatever health reason may not be physically able to whip stitch our bindings by hand, myself included. To me, our quilts are quite beautiful because we have found a way to pursue our love for quilting and giving to others despite our various handicaps.

When I give someone a quilt or other project that I made for them, they look not at the binding and the perfection of the workmanship, but rather, they look at me and smile appreciatively, grateful for the time and effort that I gave to their gift knowing that it was more difficult for me to do than someone without health issues.
Of course I meant no offense!!!!! That's why I had the little laughing guy next to my statement. Humor never comes across very well when it's in an email or a forum like this..., so for anyone that took offense - please forgive me. :) Frankly, it was just an off the cuff statement and not meant to degrade or minimize ANYBODY's beautiful quilt work. I am a quilter first and foremost and can appreciate everyone's skills, limitations and the love that goes into each and every quilt that's made. So, sew how you can, how you want, do what you want, enjoy your quilts...all that stuff. It's all great work in my eyes too.

I will say, I just prefer to hand sew mine down because personally, I like the way it looks better and I have the ability to do so. That's probably the nicer way of saying what I first posted.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:21 AM

Very good point quiltgranny !!
:lol: :lol: :lol: I agree 100%.....
Old 09-04-2009, 10:55 AM

For me, personally, I prefer to hand sew the binding to the back. It just has a neater finish to it. I just do a simple whip stitch with matching thread and it just all blends in.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing
I seem to prick every finger on both hands, so I do AVOID picking up a needle in my hand to do anything! :D
How true is that I actually wear bandaids on my fingers when I hand sew anything! I am dead serious. My husband walked in one night and I was sitting here stitching some binding and he said WHAT are you doing, I was like uhhh I know you can see. He was talking about all the bandaids, he asked if I had taken a page from our five year olds book, she LOVES bandaids and thinks she needs one for EVERYTHING! I told him NO I was simply keeping my 7.00 dollar a yard white fabric from becoming blood stained! lol Thank goodness a box of them is only 97 cents right!
Old 09-05-2009, 12:30 AM

I would like to toss in another perspective here. There are many of us out here, that, for whatever health reason may not be physically able to whip stitch our bindings by hand, myself included. To me, our quilts are quite beautiful because we have found a way to pursue our love for quilting and giving to others despite our various handicaps.
I'm in this same category. I learned to quilt by hand and just this year started using a sewing machine for ANYTHING. I now have to machine bind - I just apologize if someone questions my sewing the binding by machine. I haven't learned a specific PRETTY way, the binding looks ALMOST topstitched on the front - BUT it's the BEST I CAN DO - and that's enough. My health issues prevent me from even holding a needle now except with wire pliers - which have been a godsend.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:39 AM

The quilt comes from your heart that is what matters!!!