Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine Travel Trolley >

Machine Travel Trolley

Machine Travel Trolley

Old 02-06-2018, 11:30 PM

Thanks for all the great responses. I have a rolling tool chest, the Stanley 3 in 1 that I always used for my featherweight. I was really amazed at how much quicker I get things done with my new machine having the automatic cutter, needle threader, knee bar etc. I hate the thought of not having it on my next retreat but it won't fit in the Stanley. I have looked for luggage or tool chests (since anything marketed for quilting is so much more expensive than things made for tools) and not found anything that would fit or seem to work for my needs. The rolling duffel bags were a possibility and seemed to be the right size but I was worried that with no frame the machine would be at risk for being damaged.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:40 AM

I was just reading on another forum how someone re-purposed a rolling suitcase she found in a thrift store, and it was sturdier than the totes that were selling for a lot more.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jaiade View Post
Is everyone talking about carrying those semi-industrial straight stitch machines around? I want one(the price is stopping me) but I wouldn't consider taking it anywhere(35 lbs.) except to another room!

I drooled over the straight stitcher semi-industrial for years and I say, save up if you can and go for it!! The stitch quality is excellent and the throat of my machine is so roomy! I use it for making bags, piecing quilt tops and quilting, I'm looking forward to trying it with garment sewing. Keep it clean and oil now and then and you are good to go! Check out either the Brother PQ1500 or the Juki 2000 on Amazon.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:10 AM

I really like my Tutto for my Janome 6600, which is pretty heavy. My view is that if I'm away from home sewing on a less capable machine, I'd rather be home sewing on my 6600. I used to pack my tote with extras, but now have decided it's not worth adding the extra weight. I pack a bag or tote which can be strapped onto the top of my Tutto for wheeling into the building.

I have had my Tutto for several years. (7, I think), and travel with it at least once per month. Last year a couple of the rubber wheels peeled off, leaving the smaller hard plastic inner wheel. To be fair, it happened when rolling along a cobblestone path in subzero temps...
Ordering replacement wheels was inexpensive and replacing them was simple. I like knowing that replacement parts are available, and that when the rubberized wheel came apart, the inner wheel was still there... I wasn't left in a bind.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:56 AM

I purchased a Tutto bag several years ago. I love it. It has lots of pockets and is so easy to maneuver. It will also fold for storage and they come in so many pretty colors. If I ever need another sewing machine bag it will be a Tutto bag.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:31 AM

I purchased a simple shopping cart at Target. My machine fits down in it and my supplies fit around it. Easy Peasy.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:28 AM

I purchased a Janome 15000 that I needed to take in for updates. That is the only time I plan on taking my expensive machine anywhere. I bought the suitcase for her for that purpose only. I can’t lift so need a ramp to run her up on and into vehicle. This way she is safe in the back end unless someone rear ends me.