Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine Travel Trolley >

Machine Travel Trolley

Machine Travel Trolley

Old 02-05-2018, 11:51 AM

Default Machine Travel Trolley

I am shopping for a trolley to take my new machine on quilt-aways and would love some recommendations. I was looking at the Bluefig bags and the Tutto. According to the manufacturer size chart for the Tutto I would need the monster size for my Juki TL2010q but the interior dimensions of the large size Tutto and the front opening seem plenty big enough when I measure my machine. I am getting the same thing with the Bluefig bags. Does anyone have my machine and a travel trolley that could give me reasons why I should buy the largest bag over the in-between for this machine? I would also love to hear which rolling bags people have an whether they like them. Thanks for your help!
Old 02-06-2018, 05:16 AM

I have one of the XL T*utto for my machines. I wanted to load machines from the top and not from the front of bag. The wheels roll and swivel which is a great feature when moving it. Some bags only have two wheels that roll "one"direction. They aren't as easy to maneuver.

Are you looking at serger bags or machine bags?

It is harder to load a machine in the front of bag over loading the machine from the top. For me, it would depend on the weight of the machine. These are nice bags and I would order the larger size to have room for a few more supplies. I added a layer of 2 inch foam to the bottom for extra cushion in the bag to protect against bumps.

Check your manual for the specs and your measurements then compare against the size chart.

http://store.tutto.com/serger-on-wheels-size-chart/
Old 02-06-2018, 08:34 AM

one thing to consider too is the combined weight and how high you have to lift the filled tote to get it into your vehicle. When I had a van, I had a low cargo area, now I have an SUV, and it can be hard to lift even my suitcase, let alone a machine and tote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:06 PM

I have the Large Tuto and the Juki 2010Q. The Juki does fit in the case. It could stand to be about 1/2" taller, because the thread stand is tall, even when it's pushed all the way down, hopefully nothing will fall on the case and break the thread stand! I probably should have gotten the XL, then there is no doubt!

I was able to load my machine from the top - so much easier, although you can do either way on this case. They roll so nicely, much better than my other carrier which is not a Tuto.

Last edited by Bjbaxter; 02-06-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:52 PM

I use a rolling tool case purchased for $25 from Harbor Freight. Fits my Big Brother 1500 perfectly.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by scrappingfaye58 View Post
one thing to consider too is the combined weight and how high you have to lift the filled tote to get it into your vehicle. When I had a van, I had a low cargo area, now I have an SUV, and it can be hard to lift even my suitcase, let alone a machine ?and tote
I've had lots of totes. But now the most important thing is, Can I lift it into the car myself?. Each machine has a tote. The Bernina 850 only moves for service....it's just too heavy. The Brother Novelle 1500 S is longer than most totes, so I had to look a long time for one that fit and didn't tempt me to fill it up to the point I could lift it. The problems I've had with totes include legs breaking off and handles getting stuck up/down. So now I get the cheapest and plan on replacing.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:56 PM

I guess I am old-fashioned. I bought a cargo dolly (aka hand truck) that has rubber wheels. I strap my machine to the bottom (in it's plastic case), then add a tote bag with all my other quilting needs on top of the machine. Both are secured to the dolly with a heavy duty bungee cord. It's very easy to maneuver and I've never had problems going to/from class with it. I bought mine at either Lowe's or Home Depot for under $50. I've looked at the machine totes and can't justify the cost. Maybe I'm cheap? Then again, I don't own a very expensive machine - mine were under $300 each. Just my thoughts....
Old 02-06-2018, 04:15 PM

for my DSMs and my serger I have a cheap luggage trolley that I got at a big box store and I strap the machine in the plastic universal case to it. for my Juki 2010 my hubby gave me a very large red and gray toolbox that has wheels and a handle from Home Depot. it's super sturdy and very heavy even when it's empty but I don't need to lift it much and he does all the lifting in our home anyways. Truthfully I'm not into classes or retreats so my machines don't go that far but I like having the option and sometimes I have been known to loan a machine to a friend that I trust. Plus I store them across the house from where I sew so it's nice to wheel them instead of carrying.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:45 PM

Is everyone talking about carrying those semi-industrial straight stitch machines around? I want one(the price is stopping me) but I wouldn't consider taking it anywhere(35 lbs.) except to another room!
Old 02-06-2018, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jaiade View Post
Is everyone talking about carrying those semi-industrial straight stitch machines around? I want one(the price is stopping me) but I wouldn't consider taking it anywhere(35 lbs.) except to another room!
I own 7 machines, but I can and I do take my big Brother Nouvelle 1500 to retreats. It is a solid workhorse and I have learned it is well worth the extra minor effort. My other machines just don't compare.