Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: machines on ebay, has anyone ever bought?

I chickened out of buying on line. My husband convinced me when he said that he would never buy a used car with out first test driving it. That worked for me!

But then.....My son has bought 2 used cars on ebay. one was a Beamer great condition and then just recently a Toyota Camry for the granddaughter just graduating high school. Maybe Ebaying isn't for everyone, but there sure are some great deals out there! :wink:

I bought a new Janome from Ken's Sewing Center on E Bay and was very satisfied with the machine, shipping, etc.

Don't give me ideas about buying a Bernina! Oh, I have just been dreaming about one for some time and may have to check out what E Bay has these days. It is one of my favorite places to shop! I just bought a Dyson vacuum (I know totally off subject) and it has been wonderful!

(I would question seller about "how" they ship--ie. pack for shipping.)

I love Ebay...even bought a used Toyota Corolla Wagon for work from a dealer in Ohio (about 6-8 hours from my home). Anyway, back on track. I am sooo glad you decided to go with the Bernina from a dealer. I don't know about your dealer, but mine has a great rep and gives great tradeins. I got a used 440QE, with very few hours on it for about 1/2 the price of a new one with all the attachments. free lessons and the remainder of the 25 year warranty. I am in love!! Went back and got a good deal on the embroidery module 3 weeks later.
    When buying on Ebay, I do as the others suggested - research the product and the buyer thoroughly.

Good luck with your new machine! Enjoy!

Blog Entries
    Aside from everything else mentioned, I would look for a seller who clearly states in the ad that they are very experienced in packaging sewing machines. They should describe how they pack too.

If you don't see this information up front (which is the best way to see it, as it indicates the seller realizes that packaging is critical for sewing machines), email the seller before bidding and ask how the machine will be packaged. They should reply with a detailed description that includes double-boxing.

The key to safely shipping sewing machines is to pack them so *nothing* inside moves during transit, and so that the case is protected against knocks with a thick padding of styrofoam or other material. Packaging a sewing machine properly is something of a science. Occasional sellers of machines usually do not understand how to package properly, and many of the packaging places also do not understand how to do it properly. A seller who takes it to a packaging place still often won't get the correct packaging.

Always take out insurance on a sewing machine purchase. Whether or not the machine has been packaged properly, you need that protection against damage in transit. Understand that you are paying for the insurance so, if there is damage, the machine is still yours, you have to file the damage claim, and the damage amount will be paid to you. This is not the seller's responsibility!

I have had great luck with ebay, my theory has been and still is, never bid more than you can afford to loose! Check out the sellers' reputation, what is the feedback and comments. It wouldn't bother me to buy one on ebay!

I saw a post on another group recently that stated that you do have to be careful with the seller. There were alot of machines from hurricane areas that were on ebay.

If the seller has a good history with ebay, then you should have no problem. Ask about returns in the event there is a problem and pay the extra for insurance. Ask for the proof of insurance.

I have purchased machines from internet dealers for over eight years with no problems at all, but have not used ebay.

You may want to try a Bernina yahoo group to see if anyone would like to sell their machine.

FYI I purchased a great Quilting/sewing machine about 9 months ago and will not trade it for anything. It is a Janome 6600. It has automatic thread cutter, so after piecing, you have no thread tails to cut, none on you or the floor either. It has AccuFeed built in, so you don't have to put on a bulky walking foot and you can see your sewing beause the foot is open.
    It was designed specifically for quilting, but it has a huge assortment of decorative stitches too. It has a free motion foot and bobbin case specifally for free motion quilting. There is a yahoo support group for the 6500/6600 that is great as well. I would not trade this machine for any other. It has alot of the same features as the most expensive Bernina. Bernina is a great machine, but for the money, this Janome does everything I need. Price ranges from $1200 - $1500. No, I don't work for Janome. Ha! Feel free to contact me if you need more info.
    Diana in Texas

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2