Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Made half doz tops now. Is it silly to want a HQ Sweet Sixteen to learn to quilt on? >

Made half doz tops now. Is it silly to want a HQ Sweet Sixteen to learn to quilt on?

Made half doz tops now. Is it silly to want a HQ Sweet Sixteen to learn to quilt on?

Old 11-11-2012, 07:14 PM
Power Poster

I don't have a LA but I have enjoyed all the input everyone has given you. I'd love to have an HQ16 or Avante.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:20 PM

Thanks all your help ladies.
What's the main difference between the HQ16 and the HQ Sweet Sixteen. Is there a chance the HQ16 is no longer being made?
Old 11-11-2012, 07:37 PM

I also have the Janome 6600 and I love the machine for piecing/sewing. But my fmq skills are not what I want them to be....mainly because I am moving the fabric under the needle, exactly opposite of drawing with a pencil on a paper.... my poor mind can't get the transition right, but I keep trying. So learning on your 6600 won't help you at all if you purchase a LA.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:48 PM

The HQ Sixteen is the longarm machine version (used on a frame). The HQ Sweet Sixteen is the sit-down machine.

I tried the Sweet Sixteen at a quilt show and, if I could afford it, I'd buy one in a heartbeat!!
Old 11-12-2012, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by malfromcessnock View Post
Thanks all your help ladies.
What's the main difference between the HQ16 and the HQ Sweet Sixteen. Is there a chance the HQ16 is no longer being made?
They are the same machine. The Sweet Sixteen operates by foot pedal in a stationary table. The HQ16 operates on a carriage on the frame. You can take the one from the table and put it on a frame at a future date, or vice versa. Some people buy the HQ16 on the frame and find out they have back or leg issues that prevent them from quilting standing up. They then take the machine off the frame, add the foot pedal and it becomes the Sweet Sixteen in the table.

I have the HQ16 and love it. The company is fantastic on quality of product and service. Good luck!
Old 11-12-2012, 04:28 AM

Is there a shop close to you that has. LAQ that you could use / rent to see if maybe you should go ahead and buy or wait till you practice more on FMQ on you home machine?
Old 11-12-2012, 04:38 AM

All I use is my Janome 6600. I have quilted a queen size on it. I use the free motion quilt foot. But if you can afford a sweet sixteen and have the room go for it.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:18 AM

I have the Sunshine and am very happy with it, I've made dozens of quilts, and only sent out 2 for long arm quilting. Before I purchased my Sunshine, I did all my quilts on my Viking domestic, and with every quilt dreamed of having more throat space someday. With each quilt I was getting lots of practice that made using the Sunshine that much easier once I purchased it.
The Sunshine is less expensive than the Sweet 16 or a long arm set up, so I don't feel as bad about it sitting idle when I'm not able to quilt as I'm sure I would feel if I'd have gotten a full long arm setup.
Another thought - if you think you may do work for others to make a bit extra $$$ there is much more to consider.... Enjoy your quilting and whatever setup you end up with, I'll be watching to see how it goes!
Old 11-12-2012, 05:21 AM

I have had an HQ 16 since it first came out. I have drug it across two continents now and it still sews great plus they are divine at answering questions when I am 4,000 miles from the US in SA and it starts misbehaving. I call them and they give me great advice. Also there is an active Yahoo group for the the HQ's.

Quilting on a LA is totally different that using your regular machine. I love mine and will someday get really good at it. Now I do a few things I know how to do well like FM but can't do pantos as the current room it is in is too small. I can only sew from the front as I can't get around it. (Remedying that soon!)

I say go for it and offer it for resale if it isn't what you like. After all this time I could get what I originally paid for mine on the second hand market---but I have had it a while so the prize has amortized out......
Old 11-12-2012, 06:04 AM

Sewing on your sewing machine and a HQ is very different. There is a learning curve on the HQ but if you can afford it and have the room for it I think you would love it.
Originally Posted by malfromcessnock View Post
Hi ladies. I've now made half a dozen tops and am eager to getting them quilted. I've watched so many videos and been to so many QS and now have this desire to buy a HQ Sweet Sixteen before I take the plunge into the world of quilting.

In your opinion - should I FIRST learn to quilt on my Janome P6600?

Cheers,