Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Made half doz tops now. Is it silly to want a HQ Sweet Sixteen to learn to quilt on? >

Made half doz tops now. Is it silly to want a HQ Sweet Sixteen to learn to quilt on?

Made half doz tops now. Is it silly to want a HQ Sweet Sixteen to learn to quilt on?

Old 11-12-2012, 08:21 AM

Oops-forgot to mention this in previous post where I said you should go for it. Have you considered the Babylock Tiara? It is also a sit down like the Sweet 16 but has a workspace of 16" and 8.25" height in the throat area. Tested one at the Madison WI Quilt Expo and loved it. I always wanted the HQ Sweet Sixteen and was floored when I saw the Tiara. Now I have a new Christmas list. Babylock.com has a promo video.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:24 AM

These are all excellent suggestions--but YOU make the final decision; and make it with a caveat; if I don't like it, I can move up or down to suit my desires. But LA is way more easy if you don't have the "unlearning" from your sewing machine to do. I say don't bother to try to learn to quilt, FMQ if you will, just go for the LA (or HQ 16) with plenty of lessons from your seller (LQS, CL, whatever)....and go for it. I have a Gammill that I LOVE, and went from an old fashioned quilting machine set up on a 12' frame to used Gammill and didn't need so much training on it. The only thing that I really love about it is the stitch regulator--that's the best thing ever invented for quilting. Good luck, I'll be watching--wish I knew how to type in the "fingers-eye" thing the kids do in this case......LOL
Old 11-12-2012, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Scrappy Gram View Post
They are the same machine. The Sweet Sixteen operates by foot pedal in a stationary table. The HQ16 operates on a carriage on the frame. You can take the one from the table and put it on a frame at a future date, or vice versa. Some people buy the HQ16 on the frame and find out they have back or leg issues that prevent them from quilting standing up. They then take the machine off the frame, add the foot pedal and it becomes the Sweet Sixteen in the table.

I have the HQ16 and love it. The company is fantastic on quality of product and service. Good luck!

I asked the dealer and they said no the HQ Sweet Sixteen is not the same machine as the HQ 16 and can not be used in a frame.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:29 AM

Before you buy a Sweet Sixteen at around $6000 you should check out baileysquiltingmachines.com. I'm getting a 15" next week. All made in America, 25 year warranty and Mr. Bailey is so nice. I'm just learning to quilt too. Good luck.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:36 AM

I tried FMQ on my Brother machine and had a terrible time with it. I purchased the HQ16 with the stitch regulater and just love it. It's so much eaiser to move the machine over the quilt than to move the quilt and try to keep the stitching even. I have quilted at least 40 quilts on it. Mind you, I have not ventured to the feathers yet but do meandering, stippling and loops. I purchased an etch-a-sketch to practice feathers on.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:46 AM

Yup... I'd agree with the others. Go for it. My friend and I went to test drive after the regulator came out. I had some FMQ experience and the regulator was nice, but for her... the regulator was a dream. We tried out with and without it and it was a huge difference for her. She was able to FMQ beautifully with no experience.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:05 AM

The HQ Sweet 16 is the machine I covet. I can't fit a frame in my house, and I prefer to move the fabric under the machine rather than the machine over my fabric. The Babylock Tiara is the HQ Sweet 16, just rebranded under Babylock, so if you have 2 dealers in the area, you might see how prices differ.

I don't think the OP is nuts for wanting to invest in the HQ, if I had the funds (and space) today, I'd do so in a heartbeat. But will have to wait while I save my pennies.

Cheers, K
Old 11-12-2012, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

I recently bought the HQ Sweet 16 with TruStitch and love it. Wish I had more time to play.
1. The HQSS16 does NOT take a lot of space.
2. There seems plenty of space between the needle and the back of the machine to maneuver the quilts.
3. I added two small storage units back to back on the right side (at the same height of the table) to give added room to maneuver and added storage. Then my DH attached a fold-down table from IKEA to the left side. You will want that extra space on either side.
4. There is a difference in height between the table and the machine body. However, it is not a big deal to raise the braces in the table by putting spacers in. (Cheaper than the overlay that you can buy.) If you leave the table, you will notice the bump when using either templates or the stitchregulator mouse.
5. The learning curve on this machine is practically non-existent. You just have to find your sweet spot (speed and motion) It is sort of like learning to drive a standard transmission.
6. She is easy to maintain.
7. Babylock just came out with the Tiara, which is essentially the identical machine.
8. I learned how to FMQ on my Babylock Espire but now that I have the HQ, I am not very tempted to work within the confinded space of the DSM (even one with a large harp).
9. I wish the HQ had feeddogs for doing SID BUT you can set your speed to really really slow and practically crawl along the ditch if you want/need to.
10. Can't comment on the price. I negotiated a good deal so I am happy. I also like my dealer support and the more modern look and feel of this machine compared to the Tin Lizzie and other more industrial ones (read "clunky").
Old 11-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Power Poster

If you can afford it and have the room...go for it....I have spent a fortune on having my larger quilts done by a longarm quilter...It does get costly to do them.... It would pay for itself.....Good luck...
Old 11-12-2012, 02:13 PM

I have to agree with Crashnquilt...two totally different ways to quilt...If you have the desire to learn why not start on the longarm...Good luck, let us know what you decide...