Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Magazines >

Magazines

Magazines

Old 10-11-2013, 05:55 AM

Default Magazines

All the magazines are now being enclosed in a wrapper. I can see the point, no one wants a magazine with stuff missing, dirty, or articles torn out. However, why can't they put a small image index somewhere where you can see what is inside? Right now, I'm looking for small Xmas ideas, it will say Christmas Crafts on the front, and if you do buy the magazine, it's a full sized quilt! I hate buying stuff I don't want. I have no objection to buying the magazine for a pattern I do want.

Is there a list of web sites anywhere where you can get a pictorial preview of what's in each magazine? I found McCalls, they did a nice job of showing the index. Others just seem to have the articles printed with no picture. I found more but no real info. Just looking at the magazine sites that showed up in search wasn't a lot of help in most cases.

Like I said, I will buy the magazine if it has what I want. Some mags have gossip, recipes for cookies and other articles I'm not interested in. Nor do I care if the pattern was supplied by someone well known in quilting circles, or just a reader submission. I also don't need articles about what to have in stash, I have my own ideas, I will fix up the sewing room my way, so that's another piece of info that I don't want.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-11-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:14 AM

It would be nice if they put one open copy out, like a tester. Maybe suggest it to your store manager.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

In my area, it's not uncommon to see magazines with the wrappers torn. Especially if the magazine has a free booklet or cd enclosed.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

Ditto what BellaBoo said! Down here after some of the clerks at the cutting table have measured the last of the bolt and marked and wrapped for remnants, many of the women mostly will take it apart decide they don't want it and throw it back into the remnant bin. I saw this happen at a Hobby Lobby. Also saw (at the same store) a women take the wrapper off and stuff the remnant into her bag. She did not get out of the store with it. When she got to the check out the cutting clerk followed her up to the cash register and handed the wrapper to her. There were words and the woman was arrested for shop lifting. Over a half yard of fabric that was priced at $3.00. She had 2 children with her.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:37 AM

There are so many free patterns on the internet, I never buy magazines anymore. There are tutorials, YouTubes, blogs, newsletters. I save them on my computer, so I can print them out any time I want. Or there are sites like ePatternCentral.com and Annies where you can see, purchase and download patterns on your computer. I found that I probably wanted one or two patterns out of a magazine, so I was buying something and saving 4 or 5 pages and throwing the rest away.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:44 AM

I have several subscriptions to mags but have not made a single quilt from them.
Usually run into a quilt to make online so mags are just eye candy. I do like the Missouri Star mag Quilting Quickly.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

I rarely buy a magazine if it is in plastic. I only buy magazines that have at least one idea/pattern I want to try. I figure the price of the magazine is about the same as buying a pattern. I have also found that mediocre magazines are usually the ones wrapped because no one would buy them otherwise.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:12 AM

I never buy a magazine wrapped in plastic, either. If I can't see what I'm buying, I don't buy it.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:47 AM

Perhaps magazines are not the way to go for you, as there is too much extra stuff in them that you don't want (even if you could see what was inside, and found a pattern you wanted). Why not try just looking for single patterns, either on the internet or at a quilt shop?
Old 10-11-2013, 11:15 AM

I rarely buy magazines wrapped in plastic for exactly the reasons given here. I need to have 2-3 good projects in a magazine before I will buy it. If I can't see what's in it, I am highly unlikely to buy it.

I'm with Weezy Rider. I don't want all that other garbage that many magazines have. I have no use for those magazine that just highlight specific quilt shops, unless there are some excellent ideas for quilts in/from that shop.

Plus, I really don't need to be buying more. I have enough magazines and books and individual patterns to keep me busy for the rest of my life.