Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Magazines >

Magazines

Magazines

Old 04-03-2014, 06:12 AM

I subscribe to AQS, it usually has great techniques, American Patchwork for the scrappy quilts, McCalls Quilting for the quilts and Love of Quilting. I keep all my magazines for later reference.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:23 AM

Quilt Trends - wonderful patterms that are not repeated in other magazines.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by charsuewilson View Post
It depends very much on taste and skill level. I would go out to a store and page through a number of different magazines. JoAnns and Hancock fabrics have quite a few. Walmart has fewer, but enough to start with.
This is excellent advice. I prefer magazines that have a much heavier dose of technique instruction than just specific pattern instruction. I want to learn new techniques and skills that I can apply to quilts of my own design, not how to make quilts that someone else has designed.

Quilting Arts Magazine and American Quilter (the AQS magazine) are two examples that I currently get. I'm also considering resubscribing to Quilter's Newsletter Magazine. Until then, I have most of the back issues from 1970 thru 2008 to refer to when desired.

It's a personal decision and the best way to decide is to look forward slightly and 'taste test' the ones you think might be a good fit for where you want to go on your quilting journey. Stretch yourself a little bit with every new quilt and it will never become boring.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:01 AM

Bought a mag called Quilt It Today for $3.99. Liked it so got a subscription. Cheaper than other mags and like it more.
Also get Block and like it a lot. Still getting others but will let them lapse.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:12 AM

The only magazine I subscribe to is MSQ Block. It doesn't have all the advertisement in it it is just quilt patterns. I don't lilke to pay for advertisement......I can always google it if I need to know something about a product.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:25 AM
Power Poster

I like quilts that are simple to make for charity. I don't want to get tired making the same pattern over and over. My friend subscribed me to Quickly Quilting and I am pleased with the designs. I shop on eBay for individual patterns and then check to see what issues the pattern I like is from. Some publishers allow you to see what patterns are in an issue so I know if I should just go buy a used or new copy of the magazine.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:35 AM

At one time, I subscribed to all of them. Now, I just buy the least expensive ones. I only receive 2 now. They all seem desperate to put patterns in them that are basically something that I think they made up themselves on the computer programs. I like the "old fashioned" looking quilts and they are basic. I think some of the patterns are so "WILD" and ugly. I do like the books that give new techniques, etc. My problem is that I don't want to dispose of any of them and storage has become a problem. I tried cutting out the patterns that I liked and organizing them in binders, however, not I also have a lot of binders to store. Then, too, one day I like one pattern and not another and then the next time I look at the book, I find out that I like one that I didn't like before. I guess I am fickle. I do love reading through the old ones, too. They were better in the old day than they are now. My opinion! ha ha
Old 04-03-2014, 10:15 AM

I get several, including the new Block from MSQC which I like so far. I have decided to not renew most of my subscriptions. If you have a Hobby Lobby nearby, you can use your 40% coupon to purchase magazines. I'm going to be doing that for a while to see how it goes. I do look forward to getting quilt mags in the mail, but they are getting pricey and all seem to come at the same time. I would rather they were spread out more so I could get one every month.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

I don't get any magazines. In the past I did get Quilters Newsletter and Quiltmaker (I think) Years ago. At that time they were not using any short cut methods.
I have lots of quilt books.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:45 AM

Magazines run in cycles for me. I've subscribed to American Patchwork and Quilting for several years, but the last few issues haven't interested me much, so I'm going to let that subscription lapse. I think Fons and Porter has been the best ever from the 2012 issues forward, so I just started a new subscription with them. And McCalls (which is totally new to me) offered a great deal, so I'm also starting a subscription with them. I agree that your best bet is to browse through different magazines at your local stores and decide for yourself which one(s) you'll get the most out of.