Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Magazines >

Magazines

Magazines

Old 04-03-2014, 06:57 PM

My two favorites are McCalls Quilting and American Patchwork. MSQC new magazine is really good to its more like a book and reasonably priced
Old 04-03-2014, 07:15 PM

There is so much for free on the net and I have lots of quilt books and older magazines. The only one I get is the Block. I have so many post it notes on all my magazines I would not get them all done if I lived to 200 yrs old. So many quilts and so little time!!
Old 04-04-2014, 04:34 AM

I tired of the expensive, ad-loaded magazines a few years ago. They seemed to have essentially the same patterns over and over and I decided I wasn't going to do that any more. I got the first issue of Quilt and I like it a lot. NO ads, good quilting hints and good directions for simple quilts that most anyone can make. There are so many FREE patterns on the internet that I don't feel the need to buy magazines any more. The public library has lots of quilting books to lend and our local Quilt Guild has a library of books to borrow. I have many, many books of my own that I have purchased through the years.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:30 AM

I love quilters World and BLOCK, and if I see one I like I will pick it up. Got the $3.99 one mentioned last night in WM.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:44 AM

I subscribe to MSQC's BLOCK "bookazine". It goes along with their tutorials. Love it!

The internet is so full of possible quilts to view for inspiration and learning.

I also watch for older issues at yard sales and in thrift stores. The older issues are wonderful resources and one can use the quick and easy approach to making some of them. Quilting has come a long way but most of the patterns are the same.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:58 PM

I agree with Quiltngolfer. Love MSQC "Block" magazine. I got a notice in the mail last week for a book from BH&G to pre-order a quilting book they put together for a free trial. When I decided it might be a good idea, I couldn't find the return postcard.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:27 PM

I like Quilts and More, cause they have other stuff besides quilts.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:23 AM

I don't have subscriptions to any quilting magazines anymore. I found it too hard to part with them, and the stack just got out of control. Even cutting out the patterns I liked was too much of a chore. If I am looking through the magazine racks and find a magazine I really want to buy, I'll do that, but I try to limit myself. I want the space I have to be filled with fabric, not printed pages stapled together!
Old 04-07-2014, 03:39 AM

My absolute favorite is Quiltmania. I also have a subscription to American Patchwork & Quilting, but I have not been in love with their 2014 issues so far.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:55 AM

Location: Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA

Personally I find more on the web for free than I ever found in magazines. If you go to Pinterest and search for quilts or HST or any other pattern type you might be interested in you will find more than you have a lifetime to create. Most of them have a web site with a pattern. Some have dropped out of site but a quick search on Google will usually bring up a pattern. I also will subscribe to a magazine only if it's digital.... cheaper and easy to print the pattern if I so desire. Digital is the way to go - saves trees. :-)