Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Magazines--what todo with them?

Blog Entries
    I wish I had an answer. I WILL NOT throw away a quilting magazine!!! That is almost a sin! I have thinned out older interests and given them good homes to relatives but my quilt magazines will go in the coffin with me! lol

bj
    I donate my books and magazines I'm finished with to the Friends of the Library. They use the funds to buy new books and to help fund projects for the kids.

When I was a new quilter. I really enjoyed looking at old mag. I still do after 10+ years of quilting. So donate them to some of the new quilter we have on here. Its fun to look back at how they did thing in the 80 campare to now.

Thanks to everyone with all your good ideas. The more I think about them, the harder it will be to get rid of them. I'm a hoarder. I'd want them to go somewhere where they will be appreciated. I not only have them stored in a closet under the steps, they are in closets all over the house. When I've gathered them all together and looked through them, then I'll decide. I liked the idea about the file folder and then just giving them away. I'll let you know what I decide and exactly what I have and maybe some of you can have them.

Include them with your swaps!

I had a de clutter before Xmas - took everything out of the swing room so I could paint. Put boxes in the family room, and things I knew I'd never use again in there - including cross stitch and lace making materials. Then spent a few nights going through magazines. Ended up keeping about a dozen, the rest went in the boxes.

My sister does volunteer work at 'The Olds' as she calls them, so when I went down there for Xmas I loaded up the car and took them down to her. When she took them over they thought all their Xmas' had come at once.

Maybe you could look at donating them to one of those places. Most of them are on pensions and can't afford to buy them. I know the lady who took the lace making materials was in seventh heaven. She could make lace, but couldn't afford to buy the pillows and bobbins.

I love the idea of using a file cabinet. I have a short (2 drawer) one I was about to ditch since I had pared down all my old paperwork. Have binders and binders of needlecraft and quilting patterns (as well as recipes); couldn't fit them on the shelves anymore. Now I have a home for them and will donate the binders to the local school. Thank you so much.

Donate them to a quilt guild. I know that some of our guild members are on a fixed income and can't always buy the ones they want. The guild can either put them out as "freebies", or they can sell them for a minimal amount. Or maybe a local senior center.

Try a site called freecycle.com - check your city/area on there if you are looking to give them away. I gave a bunch away on this site and asked for postage only. I keep 1 or 2 year's worth of only 2 magazines and because of expense I am letting my subscriptions run out.

When I get toooo many quiltnig magazines or books, I will go thru them and copy the ones that I really think I will make and then donate them to the quilt group at the local Senoir Center. These groups always do so much for our military men and women, hospitalized children and community that it is just a little treat for them as a giving back gesture.

My mom, sister, and I all share magazines (not just quilt mags either!).

When I buy one, I tell them not to buy that one. Then I look through it a couple of times. If there's something I want to make, I scan it in my color scanner and keep it in a file on the computer and then pass it on to my mom. My sis lives with her and they have a sewing room. The magazines get stored there.

I don't like clutter at all!

If there are any that we don't want, we donate them.
    Also, if you have newer issues, Half Price Books might give you a few cents. They sell them (even old ones) for $1. I just bought a bunch that are a couple of years old from there.

Blog Entries
    I rip out the patterns I want and pass them to my DD, but then she sends them back LOL, I would gladly mail copies to anyone willing to pay postage...they do pile up...

Donate to a friend who is new at quilting and know she doesn't buy magazines or place on the freebe table at quilt guild.

Blog Entries
    A thought just occured to me reading all the posts here..

Has anyone on the board ever had a Quilt Magazine Swap? That might be fun.. Perhaps 6 issues of Simply Quilting for 6 issues of something else?

I've only been involved in 2 swaps, so I'm not sure how it would work.. but those of you who know how to run a swap might give it some thought.

I like ripping them out and putting them in plastic page protectors and keeping them in loose leaf binders. If I want to make one, I first copy it so that I can write on it while keeping the original pristeen.

I just recently went through alot of my stuff and it was like giving away a child! lol But I had to do it. I picked out a few patterns that I might try if I ever got around to doing another cross stitch pattern, but gave the rest away. Same thing with my crocheting and so on. I got a binder and some plastic sleeves to store the few patterns that I cut out of the mags. Even had to do it with my quilt books. Hubby is a tyrant and sees it all as trash. Don't get me started....grrrr

Quote Originally Posted by farmer623
    I'm in between quilting projects for the first time in years, and I'm using the time to catch up on my spring cleaning for about 1985. I've got boxes and boxes of Quilters Newsletter and cross stitch magazines. I figure if they've been stored away this long, I don't need them, but I don't want to throw them away. I guess I'll sit down one afternoon and look through them, but I'm trying to unclutter my life. Any ideas?
    Oh wow do you by any chance have any of the Cross Stitch & Country Crafts? I did the Little Aviator which was published in the Jan/Feb 88 issue and also did the Tea Party which was published in the Jan/Feb 86 issue but I only had a copy of the Tea Party I have the picture done except for the back stitching which I need the original for the colors, if you have that issue I would buy it from you pm me if you do. thanks for your trouble in looking for that mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Judie
    A thought just occured to me reading all the posts here..

Has anyone on the board ever had a Quilt Magazine Swap? That might be fun.. Perhaps 6 issues of Simply Quilting for 6 issues of something else?

I've only been involved in 2 swaps, so I'm not sure how it would work.. but those of you who know how to run a swap might give it some thought.
    This is a great idea...as long as I didn' get back ones I already had :|

Blog Entries
    If you decide to give them away, I am starting a prayer quilt club at the church and could use anything that has to do with quilting!
    I see we are both from Tennessee, send me a message if I can take any of them off your hands. lol Have a blessed day!

I would donate to a local library or give to Goodwill or Salvation Army stores.

The lady who does my longarm quilting for me took all of my old magazines for her quilt guild. I just needed some more space in my quilting room and finally decided I couldn't keep them anymore. She was thrilled to get them.She said they sell them at quilt shows.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer623
    I'm in between quilting projects for the first time in years, and I'm using the time to catch up on my spring cleaning for about 1985. I've got boxes and boxes of Quilters Newsletter and cross stitch magazines. I figure if they've been stored away this long, I don't need them, but I don't want to throw them away. I guess I'll sit down one afternoon and look through them, but I'm trying to unclutter my life. Any ideas?
    contact either omak or amma. one of them is on the serious lookout.

by the looks of it,you have plenty of suggestions. One rainy day, I sat on the floor and looked at every magazine, I cut the pages of the magazine I wanted and threw the rest in recycling. I made a stack of INSPIRATION. When ever I am down, or just wanting something different, I grab my inspiration stack and gaze. It motivates and inspires me to get up and do something wonderful

it's just such a shame to cut into them.

KathyN............. that is a great idea....hugs SG

PS Kathy said to send one along with your swaps

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast