Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Magazines--what todo with them?

I don't even know where a quilt guild is close to me nor do I even know what they do!!! I am just now beginning how to make quilt tops and hope too learn too make a complete quilt before long. That's the reason I don't have any quilt magazines. Now a friend of mine told me today that she had a couple that she was gonna bring me and I told her thanks and after I read through them I would return them too her and she OH NO! I don't need them back. They are for you. And I thanked her again. Can't wait too see what is in the magazines

I have the worst time parting with quilting magazines. I love them and sit and reread them. Any other magazines I donate to local library...but cant seem to part with the quilting magazines.

Margie

Donate them to a senior center with a sewing/quilting group, your local library, rest homes where some of the residents are able to sew, 4-H sewing groups, quilt guilds, ask around to find new quilters, women's shelters, prisons, church quilting groups, etc. etc.

farmer, put you fav. patterns on a CD by scanning them first to your computer. Then label your CD's and keep them in a portable CD holder. You coould cross index them into a little file so you know what patterns you have. You could even print out a small pic to go on the index card.

I had accumulated about 15 years of several different quilt magazines. I had all issues of my favorite magazine. The other magazine were not complete. When I got an especially tempting offer, I'd subscribe for a year. When my subscription ran out, I might or might not renew. Probably, I'd just subscribe to a different magazine. The magazines were about to run me out of my sewing room. I took a day and went through all the magazines, culled out the ones that no longer interested me and gave them to a charity sponsored thrift shop. I'm now down to one shelf and a box of magazines. Don't ask me to count them. I still have one subscription that has not yet run out, so I 'm still accumulating magazines, just not as fast.

That sounds like a really good idea & I would like to do that. It would sure eliminate alot of magazines. Only thing I wonder is would it be a violation of copyright? Sure wouldn't want to get in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by marla
    farmer, put you fav. patterns on a CD by scanning them first to your computer. Then label your CD's and keep them in a portable CD holder. You coould cross index them into a little file so you know what patterns you have. You could even print out a small pic to go on the index card.

I donate mine to the Sr. Citizens in this town; the ladies love them.

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by Teresa 54
    by the looks of it,you have plenty of suggestions. One rainy day, I sat on the floor and looked at every magazine, I cut the pages of the magazine I wanted and threw the rest in recycling. I made a stack of INSPIRATION. When ever I am down, or just wanting something different, I grab my inspiration stack and gaze. It motivates and inspires me to get up and do something wonderful
    I really like this idea!! Up to now, looking over the magazines themselves has been my inspiration, but it makes much more sense just to look over the pages that you already KNOW you are interested in. It's such a peaceful time when you're sitting quietly, or in bed hoping to fall asleep soon, and you're perusing the pages of quilts you know you would love to make some day. 8-)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    A few lady's on the board have sent me some magazines, that helped me out a great deal with new ideas, so you could donate some. I no there are a few of us that don't get to treat our selves, and a new treat in the mail is always a instant joy, even if your having a bad day. God bless. Penny

I am not sure about copy right law. I will look it up. I don't know why you couldn't do the CD storage for yourself. You bought the magazine. I imagine if you were holding a quilting class and teaching others how to do a certain quilt featured in a magazine, you would have to get permission beforehand. Anyway, I know that is what I plan to do to make a CD with my fav patterns. And I have done this for my knitting patterns.

you are right Penny about treating ourselves. I never have extra money too buy a magazine with. Rarely ever go too town unless it is too see a doctor. I have a friend that brought me two quilt magazines just the other night and I have looked and looked at those.

I don't think the copyright laws apply unless you are going to sell the pattern. Copying it to a CD for your own use would be the same a saving the magazine.

I take digital pics of those quilts I love in magazines and download them to my computer. Then I take the mags to my quilt friendship group and share them.

Baloonatic that sounds like a good thing to do. Do you scan your pages or use a camara. I found out one of my cameras has a setting for copying pages of stuff. I have tried it but haven't looked at the pictures yet as my big monitor quit and I can hardly see on this old monitor. But I am glad I kept this monitor even though I have to strain too look at anything.

hey there. i bring any old magazines to our local Bookman's. it's a used book and music resale store that gives you instore credit so you can buy other items you want or they willl give you cash. i've gotten lots more quilt magazines and books with my credit with ideas that i will use in them. great way to recycle magazines you don't want or need and get some new stuff you want!

I have tons also...but I found myself looking thru them and finding a pattern I wanted to do....so I still have them...they went from the get rid of pile back to the keep pile....lol

I, too, have a bunch of magazines that I am going through and sorting them getting ready to sell them when the time comes. I have moved from a 6 room house to a 4 room apt. and do not have room for them all. Hopefully I will be posting them on here so I know they will be enjoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by redneckgal
    I have tons also...but I found myself looking thru them and finding a pattern I wanted to do....so I still have them...they went from the get rid of pile back to the keep pile....lol
    Yeah, I've spent the last two weeks going through all of them, and I've had the best time. It's 20 years of my history, and a lot of them bring me back to a happier time. I see things I wanted to do but didn't have the time, things I'd forgotten about, quilts I'd still like to do. I can't get rid of any of them. I plan to put them where I can get to them, and go through them regularly. Neatness will never happen to me and I will be a hoarder forever.

Have a couple of feet worth here also, do look back at when I need the inspiration, sometimes find something skipped earlier to try... :)

A nice lady here on the board sent me some magazines and some material to go along with them. I have had the best time looking through the magazines and visualizing what too do or make out of the material. Not feeling well today. After I cooked dinner today, my DH and I sat down too eat and something happened too me. I just passed out. I still don't have it all together but I am at least moving around a bit. I just get frustrated since they are making me learn too walk with two crutches now, instead of one. So I am so thankful for the magazines and material as I have been having to go to therapy and sit around way more than I want too for the last few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodles
    A nice lady here on the board sent me some magazines and some material to go along with them. I have had the best time looking through the magazines and visualizing what too do or make out of the material. Not feeling well today. After I cooked dinner today, my DH and I sat down too eat and something happened too me. I just passed out. I still don't have it all together but I am at least moving around a bit. I just get frustrated since they are making me learn too walk with two crutches now, instead of one. So I am so thankful for the magazines and material as I have been having to go to therapy and sit around way more than I want too for the last few days.
    Hope you feel better soon.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4