Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Magazines--what todo with them? >

Magazines--what todo with them?

Magazines--what todo with them?

Old 06-18-2010, 03:07 PM

Some libraries do not take them. I volunteer at a used book store where we take donated books and sell them with all proceeds going to the library. NO ONE has ever purchased any quilting magazines along with many craft leaflets, booklets, etc. but we keep them just in case. I just tear out what I need and see if any of my friends would like them, otherwise, out they go to recycling. I keep my pulled out treasures in folders: bags, bed quilts, wall hanging, and whatever else and put them in a plastic carryall and keep that under my chair in my bedroom. At least they are all in one place!
Old 06-18-2010, 03:10 PM

I do this also. I take them to my quilt guild aftert I have gone through them and others take them everyone knows they are not whole. If I need a page that another quilt starts on I copy that page so the next pattern is intact. I go through my magazines several times before I part with them.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by nwm50
let us know which ones they are or the board can inquire to pattern name and pay you for shipping cost?
there's lots of us who are on a tight budget but can send $ for postage. Nursing home are another place that you can donate them to. Or a guild that collects fabrics for downy/abused/sick children could possibly appreciate these mazagines for idea & patterns. JUST A FEW IDEAS, hope this helped? :wink:
Nursing homes can't use magazines like cross stitch or quilting. They love to get large print books, but most of the residents can't do crafts like these anymore. the crafts they do are usually with styro. trays and yarn or pictures pasted onto light weight trays. I know this because I have been going to the nursing home for 14 years and have even helped with crafts and not too many of those dear sweet people can master crafts. The help ususally has to help them with it. You could try the Senior Center or Independent Living (Retirement Home). they are usually more able to do things like crafts.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:30 PM

I only keep magazines 5 yrs or less. Older ones, I donate to good will, the library or a quilt guild.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:29 PM

scan the patterns you like into a file on your PC, then donate the whole magazine. No pages missing that way!
Old 06-18-2010, 05:32 PM

My neighbor just brought me a dozen of old magazines all wrapped up so pretty with a beautiful curly ribbon! I just had surgery and this was so nice and thoughtful. She said "I could have bought you a couple new magazines or bring you all of these "!. Pretty frugal I thought and I love the idea! So, I will save my old magazines for that reason! Someone will be in need of them just like me!
Old 06-18-2010, 06:53 PM

Why not take the unwanted books to the second hand stores, that way the charity gets a small fee selling them onto other new comers to the quilting and other rafts. check to see if you want any patterns first. I love flower patters for applique, plus cats, dogs etc. I think where ever you give them, they will be much appreciated.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:09 PM

I've been trying to go through my magazines and pull out the patterns I like. I put them in page protectors and into a binder. If there's a page that goes with two patterns, I make a copy of it.

Haven't thrown out the leftovers of the magazines, though, can't bring myself to do that.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:22 PM

Well I don't live far from Jackson, Tn. About 10-15 miles depending on how far into Jackson you go but I don't have any magazines on quilting but would love too have some if you are willing too share any.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:57 PM

I like the idea of some sort of magazine swap-good idea! Should be easy enough for quilting groups or guilds, say once every 4 or 5 months or so, but hard for someone like me who doesn't know of any near me. If anyone is interested in the San Diego area, I think I would be willing to part with several years of Quilters Newsletter, and Quick Quilts, and maybe Quilts with Style (great for foundations piecers). I cannot bring myself to cut up any, and still periodically pull old copies of other mags down and find a pattern I want to make. In any case, most mags have great articles/tutorials, quilt motifs, applique templates, etc. which, as a self-taught quilter, still refer back to.