Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
mailing a quilt >

mailing a quilt

mailing a quilt

Old 04-24-2015, 06:33 AM

Have had success with UPS. Just dropped one off this morning. They're not inxpensive but come with $100 insurance so the fabric, batting and thread for a crib size quilt is covered. But I don't insure for my time.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

Do Not write on the outside of the box what the contents are. You don't even have to mention scraps. You don't even have to tell them what it is. I just tell them it's repairs needed.
Originally Posted by Tink's Mom View Post
A Priority box is the way to go...it includes tracking. You can watch as it travels the country.
But please, if anyone asks what it is at the post office....tell them you are trading scraps with a friend. Never mention that it is a quilt.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:06 AM
Power Poster

Make absolutely certain that "someone" has to sign for it. I sent one to my favorite new correspondent. The post office said it got there just two days after I sent it out. He says he never got it.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:16 PM

I use a sharpie and write the address TO: right on the box and then no one can tear it off.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:49 PM
Power Poster

Write the name and address of the recipient on a card, and safety pin it to the quilt. Wrap the quilt in a clear plastic bag. If you don't use a metered box from the post office, use strapping tape and go all the way around the box in at least one place, (two are better) in both directions. This is in addition to taping the box closed along the entire flap area on the top and bottom. Look at the box and also tape the edges where the flaps meet the sides. You do not want there to be any loose place on the box that can catch on something. Write the name of the recipient in large print with a permanent marker on the box. Same with your return address. Request a signature.

The nice postal clerk will take your money for any amount of insurance you want, however, as far as collecting the insurance goes, you can only collect anything you have a receipt for. Materials, long arm quilting (get a receipt) or if you have had the quilt appraised by a licensed quilt appraiser. Otherwise, there is no way you can get paid for your time. Go to the PO site:
http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/609.htm
and read the last entry under:
"4.3 Nonpayable Claims"
Even if you use another carrier, the claims process is similar.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:39 PM

Smile

Well I can tell you that I had my husband send off a quilt to my Aunt. When he got home from work that day I asked him for the tracking #. He didn't have one as he just sent it without insurance, with no tracking or anything. This was an applique, lots of time and money into it. I held my breath until it got there, no problems, thank goodness. He sent it USPS. That was the last time I had him do that for me.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:01 PM

I have had good luck using the USPS, knock on wood. I have never ever had to tell them what I'm sending. They do have a standard question they are required to ask as to hazardous substance, glass, fragile, etc. I just say no. They don't really care what we are sending, other than that. There are so many options as far as insurance, shipping time, tracking. You can request a signature for delivery. You just need to decide what works for your situation. I do send quite a few things to my daughter and grandkids who live in another state. I do put my items in some sort of plastic wrapping, either a clean garbage bag or whatever fits. I like the idea of including a name and address inside the package, just in case, but so far haven't remembered that before closing up the package. As far as insurance, I usually just choose the standard amount. We all know these things are actually pricelessI don't ever take the fastest delivery time, like next day, expensive and so not necessary. Usually two or three day is pretty reasonable and often is delivered early.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:20 AM
Power Poster

I've only had to answer no to the questions asked about the contents, never had to say what was in it. If your first instinct is to say what is in the box, that is not a good thing.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:56 AM
Power Poster

Definitely insurance. I took one to the local pack and post where they can tell you which shipping method is more reasonable.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:06 AM

I totally agree with cjsews. I would go with the US Post Office. I would also require a signature and with extra insurance. DO NOT tell them it is a quilt, just non liquid and non perishable. I too would send Priority, may cost more, but well worth it in the long run. You can track it through P.O. and will not be just left at the door, like UPS does. I would never send it UPS. I really hate to get anything by UPS, because of their delivery practices. The last time I sent by UPS was in 1997, when DD was going to school (only 100 miles away), mailed her some T-shirts she has yet to see that pkg. UPS said they delivered but who knows to where - took forever to get reimbursed and they were really tacky about it. Yes the pkg. was insured I always insure any pkg.. Be sure to keep your receipt and tracking number.