Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
mailing a quilt >

mailing a quilt

mailing a quilt

Old 04-25-2015, 05:51 AM

DO NOT write QUILT on the outside of the box.......don't put the quilt in a box AT the post office or FEDX or UPS stores. Don't let anyone know what's in the box. I used the priority boxes at PO, too and sent a LOT of quilts out.....never lost a one.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:38 AM

Beware using USPS to mail it. I lost a quilt I worked on for months and mailed to my niece in CA. The box labels arrived minus the quilt and an extensive search by the PO in CA, or so they say, couldn't find the quilt. I hope someone enjoyed the Christmas gift meant for my niece.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

My post master said to use the falt rate, and put the quilt in a plastic bg incase of it getting wet.
they said they've seen some boxes go thru #e// in puddles and such. the box comes with $500
insurance . good luck.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Do Not write on the outside of the box what the contents are. You don't even have to mention scraps. You don't even have to tell them what it is. I just tell them it's repairs needed.
[QUOTE] A Priority box is the way to go...it includes tracking. You can watch as it travels the country.
But please, if anyone asks what it is at the post office....tell them you are trading scraps with a friend. Never mention that it is a quilt. [QUOTE]

[QUOTE] DO NOT write QUILT on the outside of the box.......don't put the quilt in a box AT the post office or FEDX or UPS stores. Don't let anyone know what's in the box. I used the priority boxes at PO, too and sent a LOT of quilts out.....never lost a one. {QUOTE]

The only time someone should ask or you were to write on the box what is inside, is if you are shipping overseas. Then you are required to fill out a Customs Form. Shipping within the US does not require a customs form. Why would you write on the box what is inside. I have never heard of such a thing. They are allowed to ask if there is liquid or flammable. But even then, it is a yes or no question. That questions is for bio-hazardous material. If you are shipping soup and it leaks, they need to know it is not necessary to call in the bio-hazard team. Yes, bio-hazard material is mailed all the time. (blood, urine, etc).
Old 04-25-2015, 12:39 PM
Power Poster

I've shipped quilts via UPS as well as the USPS, with tracking and insurance. I always put the quilt in a white plastic kitchen trash bag, they usually are large enough, or if I have one available, I will use the vacuum seal bags, which can compress the quilt. I'm about to ship a quilt top to my niece in KS so that she can quilt it for our family reunion July 4th weekend. She has a long arm quilting machine and I would never refuse the offer of her quilting it for me, as she told me that I cannot retire from making the bi-annual family reunion quilt that gets raffled off, but she at least offered to quilt them for me. It's a God send for me as I'm having shoulder surgery next month and I'm doing good to get it done in time to send it to her so she has time to quilt it. When I made the first reunion quilt umpteen years ago, I never dreamed it would be such a big hit at the reunions, so they have become my legacy.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:55 PM

I have shipped my quilts by wrapping them in a big plastic garbage bag. Always put a label inside with the quilt with your name, address and phone number in case the box is damaged in shipping. Make sure it is a sturdy box. Be generous with the packing tape sealing it very well. I insure them and get a tracking number. I also take a picture of the sealed box at the post office...just in case. DO NOT WRITE QUILT ON THE OUTSIDE. I also ask for a signature when delivered. It is more expensive to ship that way but well worth it. Insure the quilt for what you think it would take to replace it. I have shipped several quilts and they have always arrived safe and sound but I still worry. I have shipped UPS, USPS and Fed EX and had no problems.

Last edited by maryb119; 04-25-2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:57 PM

I just mailed, from Texas, a toddler size quilt to a friend in Tennessee, using US Postal Service. I wrapped it in white tissue then put it in one of those plastic zip cases that sheets come in, and then in a sturdy cardboard box I happened to have (about 14x14x6). I did seal all seams with clear plastic shipping tape. I chose 2 day delivery which cost about $14.00. I didn't insure it but it was not heirloom quality, just a child's quilt I'd made for my friends. The package arrived safely and on time, and apparently without harm. My friend didn't mention any problems when she called to thank me.

Another time, though, I think I might use a flat rate box from the p.o. Not sure what the difference would have been in mailing costs had I done that this time.

Edited to add: I purposefully did not indicate what was inside the box, either in writing or when I mailed it. The clerk only asked me if the contents were hazardous. I did include a note to the recipient but at the rate I paid, I believe I paid for that.

Last edited by Friday1961; 04-25-2015 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
I would not go with UPS. They drop the pkg at the door without a signature. No guarantee it made it to the right house or was not picked up by someone else. I go with post office and request signature upon delivery.
The last shipment from Amazon to me was shipped UPS, and they delivered it to a different address in my town. They let them sign for it, and when I complained, I was told to go get it back myself! Uh. No!
Old 04-25-2015, 05:50 PM

When packing NEVER use a garbage bag. If your box should come open and the contents come out someone could think it is trash and throw it away. Use a clear bag only then put it in the shipping container. But a label folded inside your quilt, then out the quilt in a CLEAR plastic bag , label the bag. Finally put it in the shipping container , seal, and label the box. Then you can ship it.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:21 PM

Priority Mail comes with $100.00 insurance, if the value of your quilt is more than that you have to purchase the additional amount.

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
My post master said to use the falt rate, and put the quilt in a plastic bg incase of it getting wet.
they said they've seen some boxes go thru #e// in puddles and such. the box comes with $500
insurance . good luck.