Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The major cause of my UFOs >

The major cause of my UFOs

The major cause of my UFOs

Old 07-12-2014, 06:59 PM
Power Poster

I put folding tables together and cover with an inexpensive king size cotton mattress pad. I can iron any size backing in no time with no puddling on the floor. I have four of the folding in the middle tables bought at Lowes. Folded in half they are easy to store and to move. The middle seam is flush when opened.

Last edited by Onebyone; 07-12-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:17 PM

I only iron quilts not clothes. I have my iron close on a 36x24" board, still get up and down to press!
Old 07-13-2014, 02:36 AM

I do iron the seam if I sew a back together, but other then that I just put it on the roller on my frame, and the wrinkles are not noticeable. I never iron a 108" backing that goes on my frame. I will remember the spritzing thing if I have a back that is extra wrinkled.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:35 AM
Power Poster

I am always having to piece my backs (budget restrain) and I just find it difficult to get the sections cut that when sewed, comes with the dimensions that I need for the back to be. Have over 6 quilts hanging waiting for backing to be pieced. I would rather lay down on a bed of nails !!
Old 07-13-2014, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Terri D. View Post
Pressing tops is so much easier with a big board--waiting for my husband to make one for me.... Just wondering...are you pressing the seams in your blocks as you go? That makes things easier when you're ready to press the finished top.
I bought 2 pieces of plywood for my big boards- then waited forever for my DH to round the corners a bit. He went out of town and I decided I was going to finish it myself. So I did! Once I lobbed the points off the corners, ran to the store to buy a staple gun because I couldn't find his, it really was quick. I usually just set it on my ironing board, nbut leaving it up all the time takes up a lot of space and tends to get stuff piled on it. So I use a small pad for block construction and get out the big board when I have large pieces to press.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:59 AM

me, too -- I hate the pressing of seams and with small pieces it seems that I spend more time ironing -- I put off that stage of the project and thus it takes me so long to do something simple, all because I hate ironing!! Ironing board is also set up with space and the iron, but alas I hate ironing
Old 07-13-2014, 05:32 AM

Okay, GOOD LUCK!! That what you asked, right?
Old 07-14-2014, 04:18 AM

When I piece my backing I tear rather than cut the fabric. I allow a wider seam allowance because tearing does compromise the threads along the tear. Since it tears on the grain I get a much truer hanging back plus you're only measuring your piece once. I used to dread having to measure all along the length of the fabric when I cut the pieces. I only press the seam area. By glue basting the batting and putting the backing on top of that when I smooth it on it takes care of wrinkles and I never have puckers and such in my quilts.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:31 AM
Power Poster

Clear off the ironing board and thank your luck stars you have the room for a board that size. I wish I did
Old 07-14-2014, 05:22 AM

My UFOs have nothing to do with ironing. I never get that far. I get excited about trying out a new block and bundle of fat quarters, get some ideas, start the project. Get to the point where I've got the blocks made and maybe even putting together to a certain point...and then...challenge met (blocks I wanted to try are finished)...now what do I do with them? And there it sits.