Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The major cause of my UFOs >

The major cause of my UFOs

The major cause of my UFOs

Old 07-12-2014, 08:40 AM

Default The major cause of my UFOs

I think I have finally discovered the cause for so many of my UFOS. It is not just that I spend too much time on the QB. It is not that I really enjoy the picking the fabric,piecing and seeing how the block comes out. It is not even the layering and basting. It's not even getting the money together for the batting. It is the IRONING. Preparing the backs is what really gets to me. I have been ironing for hours to prepare the back for this QRcode quilt. Now I need to sew it together to make it big enough for the back and then it will need some more ironing. I have an ironing pad that fits my cutting table. However, the table is stacked full of stuff which makes it difficult to get on with it. (Sigh) I need this done for a going away gift, so I better get on with it. Wish me luck.
Kathy
Old 07-12-2014, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

I think your problem is more getting your ironing space cleared off than the actual ironing.

At least, that is my problem.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:49 AM

I'm with you, I hate the ironing part.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:21 AM

Ick, ironing. My room is so squishy I have to set up my ironing board in the hall where the light is really bad. I try to do what I can on the little ironing board in my room, but it doesn't work for everything.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:26 AM

Pressing tops is so much easier with a big board--waiting for my husband to make one for me.... Just wondering...are you pressing the seams in your blocks as you go? That makes things easier when you're ready to press the finished top.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:02 PM

Pressing is not a favorite of many of us and oh so necessary. I would sew the large pieces together before pressing. I do all my pressing in the kitchen where there is lots of room and it keeps me from sitting too long. It takes me about 20 to 30 minutes to press a whole back. Of course, there are only three or four seams. I Understand about little piles getting in the way of the next step of whatever project in the works. Good luck with this project and the straightening up.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:14 PM

for the most part I don't mind the ironing but like you it's the moving stuff, move something to do something and no place to put it but on the floor end up walking tripping into to stuff
Old 07-12-2014, 12:28 PM

I agree about the lack of space. I am trying to get rid of the clutter. I am being very aggressive about throwing away too small scraps, end pieces. I put up a design wall so I don't have to lay items out on the guest bed and throw towels over them so my cats don't sleep on them. Got to get rid of the clutter and I'll have space to maneuver. I also need to work on my UFOs and get them out of the way. That creates clutter.

Last edited by winia; 07-12-2014 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Add another item
Old 07-12-2014, 02:52 PM
Power Poster

I've discovered that as long as I press the seams on the back (if any), I can load the back on my longarm frame, spritz the exposed area lightly with water, roll, spritz, ... and all the wrinkles just melt away. It takes a little longer to load the quilt, because I like to let the fabric dry a little before each rolling action, but it means I don't have to iron the back.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:22 PM

What a great idea I need to try that.
Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I've discovered that as long as I press the seams on the back (if any), I can load the back on my longarm frame, spritz the exposed area lightly with water, roll, spritz, ... and all the wrinkles just melt away. It takes a little longer to load the quilt, because I like to let the fabric dry a little before each rolling action, but it means I don't have to iron the back.