Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The major cause of my UFOs >

The major cause of my UFOs

The major cause of my UFOs

Old 07-14-2014, 05:27 AM

that's how I have done it for years.I also press the seams open on my long arm frame.Backs do not have to be ironed so carefully.Remember they are going to be rolled up on the frame anyway.So do a "good job" then move on to something else.and enjoy the process.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

cutting asnd ironing are the 2 things i like least about quilting
Old 07-14-2014, 06:17 AM

Martha T, I see you are in Alabama--don't y'all have a county fair where you live? Get busy on one of those UFOs and enter it in the fair. That is my main focus right now--getting two quilts ready for the fair coming up the first week of August. Everyone knows to look for me at my FW or ironing board, or at the foot of my ks bed. I lay my finished lines out on my bed as I assemble (and reassemble) them, and am getting real excited about getting it out to my long arm.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:17 AM

I guess I'm the odd one as I enjoy pressing each piece and particularly when I'm appliqueing and use starch so the piece is crisp for cutting. As for the clutter, that seems to go with quilting or at least it does with me. I start with a clean, neat area and when I'm done with a project it looks like a tornado went through the room. I have finally gotten it through my head that scraps no bigger than a nickel are not going to be used. Being thrifty is great, but I've learned that I cannot save every little scrap of fabric when it really is never going to end up in a project. Right now I'm making new shades for my living room lamps and there is fabric everywhere, but the project will be finished today and then the cleanup begins, again.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:28 AM

The major cause of UFO's for me is ADD. I will get a quilt almost finished and can't wait to start the next project. So I start that one with the intention of finishing the last one as I go along. Ha! Never happens. Then I will dig in my stash to find a back for a quilt that I actually finish and end up picking out and possible cutting fabric for another quilt or 2. I have been piecing my backs so I don't have to buy any more fabric. My stash is out of control!
Old 07-14-2014, 09:34 AM

Yes, I have a project, the front has been done for months, but I wanted to use up the left over fabric on the back.
I just can't seem to get back to that project now.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I've discovered that as long as I press the seams on the back (if any), I can load the back on my longarm frame, spritz the exposed area lightly with water, roll, spritz, ... and all the wrinkles just melt away. It takes a little longer to load the quilt, because I like to let the fabric dry a little before each rolling action, but it means I don't have to iron the back.
Agreed. I just press the back seams if pieced and then spray with 1/2 Best Press and 1/2 water (recommended by one of my LA teachers) and go for it. As far as just piecing a top, I try to do my piecing and then iron when that step is done and so on.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:45 PM
Power Poster

Since I prefer to wash my fabrics before using them in quilts, I would try to take the fabrics out when they are still slightly damp and then iron them sitting in front of my TV watching my favorite shows or movies, and the time goes by so much faster. My major cause for UFO's is sandwiching the quilts. I love the quilting process, picking patterns, picking out fabrics, making the quilt tops and then machine quilting. What I don't like is sandwiching the quilts, I wish I could find someone who likes doing that so I won't have quite as many UFO's.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:20 PM

Wait a minute...you mean quilt tops are supposed to have backs? Not in my house! I can't seem to finish my quilts either. Pressing/ironing is not the problem (I iron my husband's work clothes every morning), space in my room isn't the problem, ADD? Maybe this is my problem. I love to piece the tops, then I lose interest in the project. It's no fun to sandwich them. Quilt them? Forgetaboutit!

I feel your pain all of you UFO quilters! I am a charter member of the UFO club.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:33 PM

I dislike ironing big pieces too. It takes forever and is cumbersome, then the already ironed piece hits the floor and crumples up again.