Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Major disappointed in my quilting >

Major disappointed in my quilting

Major disappointed in my quilting

Old 04-22-2017, 08:59 PM

I haven't tried this, but others have--a mustache trimmer, as a seam ripper. They say it makes quick work of the dreaded process. But even if you take the stitches out by hand, do it during mindless TV time, and only until you're tired. Then put it aside.

I've looked very critically at my work right at the end and I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to pitch the darn thing. Seems all my mistakes are in glaring neon. But after I've put it aside for a few weeks, I'm pleasantly surprised that it looks good. If I find I need to fix something, at least I'm not grumbling about it--just tweaking.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:56 PM

I have had to take out stitches on a whole quilt because i did not notice a big pleat in the back and did not like the thread color. I would do like Tartan said. Take the stitches off a little at a time and you would be happier when it is done. You said that it took you a long time to make it, so take more time to make it right for you.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:20 PM

Do not donate it. You worked hard on the top and love it, so take the time to rip out the quilting you don't like. Then get someone else to quilt it for you (or hand quilt it yourself since it's too large for you to successfully machine quilt). Make sure you see their work beforehand so you know you won't be disappointed again with the results.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:06 AM
Power Poster

I'm with Tartan and Mamagrande.....get that wonky quilting out and either have another shot at it or get it quilted by someone else. You will feel much better about it and your work deserves the best. Throwing it out or shoving it in a cupboard is not an option.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:21 AM
Power Poster

Finish it up, launder it, set it aside for a couple weeks then get it out, hang it or lay it on a bed and step back. Take another look. You may see it with truly fresh eyes. Up close we can all pick out every little ( self critical) mistake. Look at it from a few feet away and it is really quite ok most of the time. Once washed & dried you probably won't even notice those ( less than straight) lines.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:57 AM

I'm sorry, it really stinks to spend all that time on something and then be disappointed with the results. I agree with those who are saying to put it away for a while. If you pull it out when you're less frustrated with it, it might not seem so bad, or you might find the energy to redo it.

I would never say people shouldn't strive to do their best, but I think sometimes the ideal of 'perfect' harms us more than it helps. I remember seeing quilts back in the '70s and a lot of seams weren't lined up and points were cut off, and everyone thought they were fine. I think the internet has helped to up the ante, since we can all easily look at not just the best quilts in our local sewing group but literally the best quilts made in the entire world. A lot of people post pictures of only their best work (and I don't blame them or anything), so we're often only seeing the best of the best. Even Rembrandt must have painted some bad paintings in his early days.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:59 AM

I'm sorry that you're not content with your quilting. That can be so disappointing when you've already put so much time and effort into a quilt. If you have the time, or will make the time in the future, then little by little remove that stitching. Even if you only do 10 minutes a day. It will make you feel better inside and out if your quilt ends up the way you truly want it to, rather than a disappointment. It will also end up being a lesson you've learned from. I hope to see a picture or two of your progress and your finished quilt, no matter who ends up quilting it! Good luck!
Old 04-23-2017, 03:40 AM
Power Poster

not all quilts can be show quilts... some are learning experiences. like the others have said, put it away, take it out in a while, and look at it on the bed. you will like it better than you do now.
just an example, from this thread http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...n-t287708.html , the pattern linked is the top one on this page http://www.bryerpatch.com/images/qui...Illusion38.htm ... notice that the third row with dark ends is upside down... so even the experts have quilts that are not perfect.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:43 AM

Thank you to everyone who replied. You are all so kind, and it made me feel so much better. I will do as suggested...put it away for a little bit. When I pull it out, then I will decide if I will finish or take out the seams I have done.
Again, thank you so much. It helps to hear that others have been in this same position. And you are all so right..I am way too critical of my work. Hugs to you all!!!
Penny
Old 04-23-2017, 04:59 AM

Quick! Finish it up and give it away! At least that's what I do. Guess what, it has always been appreciated by the person I give it too. They don't see the stitiching or the pattern or even if a color doesn't work. But I always do. I finally realized that I don't have to love everything I do, they don't always turn out. On to the next one. Experience gained.