Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Major mistake quilting >

Major mistake quilting

Major mistake quilting

Old 11-06-2011, 06:07 AM

sorry about your machine.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:11 AM

And these things always seem to happen when a deadline is near. Hope you get your baby back soon and the repair isn't too much. These happenings sure can ruin a day, or a week.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:17 AM

Reading this brought tears to my eyes...literally. I have a Viking Designer 1 and it's my best friend! I use it almost everyday. I have never been able to quilt on it though...it overheats! Just received an email that there has been a recall on it due to a bad power supply, so guess mine will be in the shop for a while too!
I bought a Juki 2000 to do my quilting on and it literally sings along (all metal construction)
Old 11-06-2011, 06:21 AM

I'm not sure if I bent the shaft on my Viking Rose while repairing tie strings of a friends chair cushion or I just wore out my walking foot. I can't use my favorite sitch with the walking foot anyore without the needle hitting the metal of the foot as it goes side to side.

Originally Posted by linda701 View Post
I have been sewing for thirty years and my husband just bought me a new viking sapphire a few months ago. I was free motion quilting for the first time and hit a safety pin. Tryed to sew with machine after that and it kept breaking needles. Took machine to repair shop and repairman said I bent the shaft on it, the timing is off and he would have to order some parts for it. I was trying to keep my fabric flat as I quilted instead of watching for safety pins. I have five quilts I need to quilt by xmas. Probably won't be done by then now. I really am upset about the whole thing. Has anyone else ever done anything like this?
Old 11-06-2011, 06:22 AM

Hope you get in back soon so you can finish your quilts
Old 11-06-2011, 06:31 AM

I have a Janome and I ran over a pin yesterday. I didn't really mess up the machine but, it did mess with the tension. Hopefully, I have it back on track. Sorry it messed up your machine.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:57 AM

Oh dear that is terrible, I have hit pins (straight) in regular sewing, but don't use safety pins to baste as I do Quilt as you go. Hopefully it wont be to many$$$ and will get fixed soon.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:07 AM

Wow, when you posted this I knew exactly what you meant. I have a Viking Sapphire 875Q - I've had it for 1 1/2 yrs. About a month ago - I was sewing along and stopped to move some thread out of the way - well the pressure foot came down on my finger and barely was poked by the needle - after that my machine started clunking - I redid everything - rethread, change needle etc. Took it in to be repaired - thought it was just simple - no they told me the same thing - then they tried to make me pay for the repairs - I refused because its still under warranty - they called me back and apologized then they repaired it and I did not have to pay - the part was over $ 300.00 - I kept saying to them - why would my machine go bad over my finger - it wasn't like I jammed it in there or abused it - accidents happen and the machine should be built to withstand those kinds of accidents. They said the feed dog mechanism was damaged and the shaft was flexing ???? It sounds like you have the same problem.
In the end, it turned out well, they repaired it and now it runs great again - but it was a tense two weeks while I waited. Just remind them of your warranty and I hope this all works out for you - you can pm me if you need more info. Good luck.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:27 AM

I did not hit a pin, but did it on my longarm. Did not bend the shaft - just threw out the timing. Had to take the machine nearly 200 miles to get it fixed and then pay the repair bill, too. Also had to take off a day from work. A costly day. What happened to mine was that my customer had pressed all seams to the side. At the junctions were thick wads of fabric. Can't quilt through those. Once tried hitting them with a hammer (my own quilt thankfully) and the fabric split. Anyway, I hit one of those thicknesses, broke the needle and threw out the timing. I am careful now to check when I get a quilt and give them back for re-pressing when they are very thick!
Old 11-06-2011, 07:35 AM

Oh I'm really sorry to hear that. If we were closer, I'd be so happy to lend you one of mine. It happened to me last year, right around this time, so I truly do feel your pain.

What I did, was to go to Amazon and spent $80 or so on a Brother. It honestly is one of the best machines I own.
Here's a link. http://www.amazon.com/Brother-LS2125...0593578&sr=8-6

I did 3 queen size quilts on it, it can be done.