Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Major mistake quilting >

Major mistake quilting

Major mistake quilting

Old 11-06-2011, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by overtheroadquilter View Post
Haven't hit a pin, but was even dumber, forgot to change out a foot and did zig-zag stitch and hit the foot that shouldn't have been there. So I too bent the shaft on my Viking Emerald....I got it back with-in a few days but the cost was nasty!! Good Luck Linda, hopefully quick and not to expensive fix! ~deb~
Been there, done that with both of these. Luckily, mine was an easy fix to "unbend" just a tiny bit. No easy way around it but to watch, I guess. Good luck and happy quilting. I have faith you'll get it done.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Suzy View Post
linda

I hope you get your machine back fast. I haven't had that happen, but can't say it won't. Have also been sewing for over thirty years, And would be lost without my machines. I use an old singer 66-16 for quilting can't beat them.. I'm still learning the free motion stuff doing table runners and table cloths and wall hangings for practice. The larger quilts I take to a LA. Most machines could possibly take hitting a stick pin, but a safety pin is another story. I'm saying a prayer that you will get the machine back in time to get your projects done.

Good Luck

Suzy
Yes, I have done the same thing. Fortunately, it was a cheap Kenmore that I didn't really like. It was going to cost more to fix it than I paid for it, so I bought my first Janome, a Memory Craft 3000. That was in 1997. Bought my 2nd Janome in 2006, the 6600P!
Old 11-06-2011, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Sunnie View Post
I am so sorry that your machine is hurting.* Wish you were closer as I would lend you one of mine since you have a deadline.
How did you get your font to change. I quite using pins and I spray baste everything. I have hit pins but it never bent anything. I've broken needles.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by linda701 View Post
I have been sewing for thirty years and my husband just bought me a new viking sapphire a few months ago. I was free motion quilting for the first time and hit a safety pin. Tryed to sew with machine after that and it kept breaking needles. Took machine to repair shop and repairman said I bent the shaft on it, the timing is off and he would have to order some parts for it. I was trying to keep my fabric flat as I quilted instead of watching for safety pins. I have five quilts I need to quilt by xmas. Probably won't be done by then now. I really am upset about the whole thing. Has anyone else ever done anything like this?
Yes, I have done the same thing. Fortunately, it was a cheap Kenmore that I didn't really like. It was going to cost more to fix it than I paid for it, so I bought my first Janome, a Memory Craft 3000. That was in 1997. Bought my 2nd Janome in 2006, the 6600P!
Old 11-06-2011, 01:26 PM

So Sorry to hear about your new machine, hope you get it back quickly.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:00 PM
Kas

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
wow..are the shafts made of TIn foil???....how can then bend so easily..and on such spendy machines...sorry to hear that....
I was wondering the same thing! I sewed the claspy part of a safety pin and all it did was dull my needle! Well, and it left a nice big hole in the pin. I also sewed a flowerhead pin down into my race and it cost $15 to fix the part it goobered. And when I changed the foot for my hubby to a zig zag foot but forgot to put on the correct plate, it cost me $75 to have the foot realigned. That's it. I have a Bernina. Hope your baby is fixed soon! And call them and ask about a loaner.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:07 PM

Have not had that happen because I glue my quilt together. However, I know the feeling of needing a machine, so can sympathise. My machine stopped working right in the middle of my making 'masterpieces' for our next exhibition. It will end up costing me $1,000.00 to repair it ($11,000.00 to replace).So with the budget blown out either way I am revising my hand sewing...Perhaps you can make small hand sewn and glued objects for Christmas? All the best.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:15 PM

I encourage you to consider replacing the safety pin approach with Sharon Schambers' hand-basting approach?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...-Ix7qw&cad=rja

While it takes a bit longer, I have experienced significantly better results. AND no broken needles/machines.

Best of luck to you.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:18 PM

So sorry to hear of your machine. Maybe you can borrow a machine from a Sr Ctr to finish off your quilts! At mine we have machines and I do believe they would lend one if I needed or at least use it there! Good luck to you.

Sharon
Old 11-06-2011, 03:29 PM

That is really too bad. Can't believe a pricey machine would break so easily. I have a Janome so wonder if it would do the same. I seldom quilt on it - but will be careful when I do.