Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Make do tools >

Make do tools

Make do tools

Old 07-27-2010, 09:08 AM

I have some chopsticks that work great as a stiletto as well as a point turner.

Recently a friend bought a battery operated 'mustache razor' to use as a seam ripper...wow, now that works fast to take out full seams! But it wasn't cheap.

I've heard that an eyebrow razor works great as a fast seam ripper too.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 07-27-2010, 04:04 PM

I found a magnetic bowl in the tool dept. that i use for my pins. Cheaper than the ones in the fabric stores.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:26 PM

I am learning so much on this thread. I had already some of the suggestions here, but the other ideas are great. Thank you so much.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by blueeyez
I found a magnetic bowl in the tool dept. that i use for my pins. Cheaper than the ones in the fabric stores.
Do these bowls keep the pins lined up like the good magnetic pin holders? I bought some cheap magnetic pin holders and the pins stay in a big piled up mess. I bought the Clover magnetic pin holder and the pins stay nice and neat and so easy to reach and get a pin without getting pricked.

I like using other tools but I have found most tools made for quilting actually do the job I want them to do much better.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Originally Posted by blueeyez
Do these bowls keep the pins lined up like the good magnetic pin holders? I bought some cheap magnetic pin holders and the pins stay in a big piled up mess. I bought the Clover magnetic pin holder and the pins stay nice and neat and so easy to reach and get a pin without getting stuck.

The pins do not stay nice and neat. But I like that I can toss a pin and it goes right in the bowl.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:52 PM

I have great kitchen counters and my breakfast nook table is just 3 feet away so I sew in the kitchen a lot. I got frustrated with my little padded sewing box, so I went to Wal-mart and found the perfect fishing tackle box to keep my tools handy. It's bursting at the seams now, so I need to get something else. (I wish I could get another one just like this - but they've changed the designs) I will keep this one for traveling no matter what I find next. I really want a Gerstner Machinest Tool Box (oak) but they're expensive. ($500) so for now, this will work. And it does work great - it's been working for 12 years now.

It's @ 6 1/2" x 13 1/2"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69821[/ATTACH]

2 trays and a good sized bottom compartment
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69822[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-69816.jpe   attachment-69817.jpe  
Old 07-28-2010, 04:14 AM

Great tips thank you - I bought a fishing tackle box from WalMart cost about $14 for quilting supplies and bought a fishing box that has cubbies on top and a second compartment that I store all my Wilton Cake supplies (well a lot of them any way)- I will need to go and visit my local Home Depot and WM stores. The T-sq ruler what awesome idea - thank you all
Old 07-28-2010, 05:03 AM

I received two zip pouches to hold the sun glasses when I had my cataract surgery. They are perfect for carrying my small tools to class.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:27 AM

What ever you do with the snap marking line tool, don't use the chalk from the hardware store....it will not come out of your quilt...
D in TX
Old 07-28-2010, 05:29 AM

If you glue magnets (at walmart) to the bottom of your plastic soap dish, or even a pretty ceramic one, the pins will stay in the dish.
D in Tx