Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Make do tools

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LAQUITA
    Great suggestios! Besides I would imagine that that MIGHT be some cheaper than being labeled 'QUILT" tools.:)

THANKS for sharing.
    LaQuita
    When walking through a quilt show, I showed hubby the $9 price of a "quilting tool".
    I knew what his reaction was going to be.
    He laughed and said "you can buy those for $2 at the ___ Tool Store".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seasaw2mch
    Quote Originally Posted by ksea
    What a wonderful thread, I was just reading some of it to my DH and he said I had better stay out of his garage, but he offered to take me to Home Depot or the Bass Pro Shop, imagine that!!
    and you'r still here???? LOL Can I go too!
    ROFLMBO - GOOD ONE!!!

Great tips...aren't we a resourceful lot! More funds to buy fabric!

Blog Entries
    I use my grandaughter's Caboodle,she used it mostly for her Barbie things. Now it serves a differen t purpose. Also good for crochet hooks, etc.

Blog Entries
    We going on trips to Harbor Freight. Last trip picked up a magnetic bowl, meant for nuts and bolts, works perfectly for pins. And a velcro wrist magnet, meant to hold screws and stuff while you are working on something, i use for pins when i am stitching and dont want to pay attention to where i put the pin down as I pull them. The bowl was 1.99 and the wrist thingy was 99 cents.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard
    I use my grandaughter's Caboodle,she used it mostly for her Barbie things. Now it serves a differen t purpose. Also good for crochet hooks, etc.
    What's a caboodle??

Power Poster
    Thanks for the tips. I learned a long time ago that anything specifically marked for quilting will be more expensive.. I look everywhere else first for tools.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kathome
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard
    What's a caboodle??
    It's a plastic case, in this case it is pink. Reminds me of a fishing tackle box and it's about 15in. long and 6 or 8 in high. Has lots of compartments and the top compartment lifts up to expose the bottom section. Something like a sewing box. Clear as mud ? Wish I knew how to post pics. One of these days I'll ask my daughter to help. She's a whiz on computers. Also all the grandkids are proficient on the fandangle computers.

My hubby took my 5in circular saw to work 6 years ago I haven't seen it since even though I hint every Christmas it still never shows up under the tree either. He borrowed my 5 ft ladder and his boss just threw it away because he wore it out and wouldn't buy a new one for him or me. Now he just bought a big bucks one for him and I guess mine is still at the store. I started making a list of these things. It is on the fridge. When Christmas comes we are going shopping.

Hubby cuts my templates out of plexiglass to. I use a cheap emrey board for sanding. Cheap from the $ store and esy to store. Love this thread to!

I went to a screen and window place and had the gentlemen make all different odd sizes rulers from Plexiglas - round - square - triangle etc. he thought I was nuts his wife asked why was I doing this and I explained that I quilt (beginner) and found that for 1 ruler I could spend big $ - her reaction was funny - she turns to her husband and say honey your "Honey Do" list just got bigger he just shook his head and smiled - but for 12 rulers I paid maybe $22 bucks. Can't beat that - I also had him put a hole on them so that I can store them on a round belt hanger.

I love to use things from the office supply store. My sewing room has two 2-drawer file cabinets I use for storing books, patterns, magazines, tips, etc., so I have lots of file folders, hanging folders, and dividers. I also use storage containers and other items I purchase at the office supply store. Another idea is the scrapbooking section of the local craft store. I bought several 13" square clear snap-top boxes which are 2" deep--perfect for WIPs.

Blog Entries
    WM has some plastic pencil ( I think that's what they are suppose to be) boxes in different colors for .69 right now; gearing up for schools opening. I love to use these for storing small items in, like hand scissors, used dryer sheets, and even makeup.

WOW! What wonderful tips.
    I have a metal exterior door in my workroom. I use it for hanging things that are magnetic. This can also hold a flannel-backed tablecloth if needed.
    At Sam's club you can often get product in storage containers, which makes them free.

My favorite is a battery operated mustache trimmer. If you need to remove a long seam (like recently when I stitched my two backing pieces in different directions...,) you simply turn the trimmer upside down, so it doesn't cut the material and run it along the seam! Took out a ten foot seam in about 60 seconds!! Works great for even the little mistakes. I suggest battery power because it is more portable than electric cord. About 18-20 dollars at any drug store or Walmart.

All good ideas. I find the items from the hardware store are more durable and last forever. I have had some of my things for way to many years to mention or you might figure out I am old. These items are usually cheaper than the ones made just for quilting.

I've gotten a pair (actually a couple of pairs) of chopsticks from a local chinese place. They work pretty good.

Blog Entries
    Another old stand by is using pizza boxes to hold blocks nice & flat.Some pizza shops will give you a couple, others charge a nominal fee.They also stack nice & I use a black pen to write block pattern on the side.

Doncha just LOVE this thread? You should write a book about this - thank you so much for starting it. YEARS ago, when alot of us wore wigs, I remember paying BIG bucks for a wig hair brush - and then noticed that a pet brush - WHICH WAS EXACTLE the same thing sold for $1.

My hubby goes into a lot of the quiltshops with me. When we travel anywhere, he makes sure I research what shops are in the area. We also have a harbor freight (that we both love) in town! I bought my wooden tool box with drawers there and it cost $29 a few years ago, great for storing little things in! He used to be an aircraft mechanic, so he will always look for little things to help me out and save some money!
    In the school supply section at WM they have fabric pencil bags with zippers. They run $2.50 and have flowers, trees etc on them. My rotary cutter would never seem to fit any of the plastic boxes made to hold them. I can fit it in there and an extra pack of blades! Also, I use the plastic pencil boxes for all the accessories from my sewing machines. Each machine has it's own box! I have been lookting at the tables and carts at HF lately, working on some ideas there! Will definitely keep checking the thread and print it out for mom and sis!

I seem to get a lot of tote type bags anywhere from subscriptions to hospital stays.
    I love the Teachers bags that you can buy from Walmart.
    They come in 2 sizes. They are black with a choice of blue or red-wine linings.
    Anyway I use these for all kinds of storage. Books, magazines, WIP.
    One is sitting by my recliner with my favorite books on blocks & bindings. I thought I would share the titles.

Quilter's Mix and Match...Leisure Arts...Love it
    Encyclopedia of Classic Quilt Patterns...L Arts...Like
    Block Party...Marsha Mc Closkey...Love
    Quick and Easy Scrap Quilts...L Arts...Love
    Block by Block...Beth Donaldson...Beginners

Designing with Built-In Borders...Sally Schneider...Variety
    The Quilter's Edge...Darlene Zimmerman...More Variety
    Beyond the Blocks...Nancy J. Martin...Interesting

I know this may be a little off topic. But, I have always considered books to be tools. If I can read it, I can do it. Pictures with it, even better!

I use parchment paper from the grocery store (used in baking cookies, etc.)on my ironing board when using fusible webs. The pieces come right off the parchment with no residue on the ironing board.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thank you for the information, and God bless. Penny

Can also, flip a door back hanging shoe holder around backwards and use hookies to hang templates, cutting mats, yard sticks etc. :) ( might be a good place to hide tools in the front pockets) No Honey, Don't see the tools in my drawer anymore !! HeHe ;)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragann63
    My favorite is a battery operated mustache trimmer. If you need to remove a long seam (like recently when I stitched my two backing pieces in different directions...,) you simply turn the trimmer upside down, so it doesn't cut the material and run it along the seam! Took out a ten foot seam in about 60 seconds!! Works great for even the little mistakes. I suggest battery power because it is more portable than electric cord. About 18-20 dollars at any drug store or Walmart.
    I think my husband has one of these. Maybe I'll steal it. Reverse of what everyone has been saying.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast