Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: Make do tools

Blog Entries
    Last summer our local "Christmas Tree Shops" had large fabric totes in a variety of colors with prints for $1. I bought several to use when giving a quilt to someone. Then they can have the bag to use also.

I keep a packaged meat tray by my domestic sewing machine to hold extra bobbins, thread, needle threader, pencil ... all those small items that used to get pushed around the table and hidden under my project.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragann63
    My favorite is a battery operated mustache trimmer. If you need to remove a long seam (like recently when I stitched my two backing pieces in different directions...,) you simply turn the trimmer upside down, so it doesn't cut the material and run it along the seam! Took out a ten foot seam in about 60 seconds!! Works great for even the little mistakes. I suggest battery power because it is more portable than electric cord. About 18-20 dollars at any drug store or Walmart.
    :shock: Wow! As someone who is a professional at reverse sewing, this is something I'm definitely going to have to check out!

Blog Entries
    I used stainless washers to go inside fabric yo yos to make trivits and coasters. A round honing stone, smooth on one side, rough on the other is great to smooth a cutting mat.

What really good ideas you all have. Thanks so much for sharing.
    Going to make a folder just so I can remember all these good tips.

Quote Originally Posted by grammyj
    One thing that is great is the magnetic bowls that you get at Harbor Freight. they are for car parts ( nuts and bolts etc) but they work fine for pins. That's what I use and they come in 4" and 6" I have both sizes, 1 for safety pins and 1 for my big quilt pins.They don't cost very much.
    thanks for the idea. i got them for $2.99 at harbor freight. hancocks was selling the plastic ones for $11.99

Just wanted all you Harbor Freight people out there know that I'd never heard of that store until this post. So I Googled it, and there was one very close to my LQS about an hour away. So I went there for the first time yesterday - and came home with many of your great ideas. Thanks!

this sure was a good thread! makes us all think of ways to save where we can. what a creative bunch.

Blog Entries
    Good for you! Our HF srore is also about an hr away,but so is a great LQS ...& both are near where DD lives.I plan to visit her next wk & might as well stop in the good stores while we're in the neighborhood.HF prices can't be beat,especially compared to LQSs.

Quote Originally Posted by sosewcrazy
    Just wanted all you Harbor Freight people out there know that I'd never heard of that store until this post. So I Googled it, and there was one very close to my LQS about an hour away. So I went there for the first time yesterday - and came home with many of your great ideas. Thanks!

Well, you've done it again, folks! Things like this thread just make my day. Thank you all for your handy tips.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN
    Cool tip Mary I think I will velcro one to the back of my machine
    I missed Mary's tip; what will you velcro to the back of your machine?

Great ideas. I also use a different magnetic parts holder to hold each type of pin I use regularly and bed risers to lift a table to a height comfortable for cutting with no back strain.

I use the magnetic ash tray for my pins but keep it away from my electronic sewing machine. Magnets can erase the electronic drive in the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyce
    Miss mona, get yourself a dirty old box (only has to look dirty) set your toolbox inside it. Do you think that might work?
    Those old "personal hygiene" boxes are great hiding spots to keep snoopy hubbies away!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oatw13
    Walmart sells great plastic boxes that are meant to hold Hot Wheels cars. They are about $5 in the toy department. They work great to hold thread! They sell a similar box in the fabric department that is smaller for thread that is about $20!
    I found a double-sided Hot Wheels carrier at our local Wal Mart, really sturdy for only $12 :lol:

a lot of scrapbook tools and supplies can be interchanged with quilting supplies too.

I clamp my quilts onto my glass topped ding table with Hubby's Clamps he bought for gluing wood. I did let him keep the little bitty ones.
    Hubby bought me a set of plastic saw horses to extend the table length, I lay a card table on top of them, I pull the quilt up onto the glass top to pin.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5