Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Make quilts to keep, give away or charity? >

Make quilts to keep, give away or charity?

Make quilts to keep, give away or charity?

Old 06-25-2011, 05:37 PM

My 1st one was for me & I was having so much fun I accidentally made enough blocks for two quilts, so one went to DD for Christmas and all that followed were for other family members. Nowhere near the end of the family members yet who'd like one & just finished making the last block for the lap robe for my DH yesterday.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:59 PM

I started out making for family, a couple very scrappy ones for hubby and I, and now am making lap size for charity (Indy transplant center). One of these days I will get around to making one for me. I have the pattern and know exactly what colors I want, just have to get all the fabric. And I have a daughter who finally decided on a bargello for her queen size bed and will have to start collecting fabrics for that. I think I have enuf on my plate to keep me busy for a while!
Old 06-25-2011, 08:40 PM

I made my first quilt by myself when I was 17 for an anniversary present. 5 years later they gave it back saying it was too warm....I made one for my brother and SIL for a wedding gift, 7 years later when they were moving, I noticed that it was used to tarp a piano........Then I started making them for myself. I still have the first on my bed. It is a very homely scrap quilt, but me and all of my animals stay warm. In 1997 I made a quilt to raffle off for the American Legion. In 1998-2006 I made them to raffle off for the VFW. When my ex-MIL and FIL finally got their sail boat to float I made them the perfect quilt to fit in the hull of the boat where their bed was. I made a tumbling block quilt for my ex-DH to take on the road for the sleeper of his truck. I made another one a bit later which my ex-BF talked me into letting him have because he was not man enough to go out and get a job to afford to keep his sorry arse warm.

In the process of this seemingly horror story, I have managed to complete 13 wall hangings and various gifts for friends that don't "rely" on me. I have also donated around 20 quilts to the Sheriffs Office for the children that are taken into protective custody. I am currently working on a Log Cabin wall hanging that I will send to my friend Karen that proved transportation for me when I was gravely ill in 2006. I am designing a wall hanging for my great friend, Heidi who works with those existing with Aids/Hiv. I'm hoping that they can use that for some sort of raffle. I have another one for my friend Rachel who is a regional director for HUD, and helping the homeless. (This will be a wonky selection of houses! I think she'll love it!) Please don't tell her though.

So yes, this is how my quilting time is spent. Little BU is telling me it is time for bed and I agree. G'nite :-)
Old 06-25-2011, 08:44 PM

A little of each.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:36 AM

I still don't have a bed-sized one for myself. I do make a lot of them for gifts. And quite a few more get donated. I used to have a lot more quilts in my house, but they keep disappearing. And, always seems to happen when my mother visits. Hmmm...wonder if the two are somehow related???
Old 06-26-2011, 02:38 AM

i can't afford to make a quilt for myself.

i sell my quilts, make some for charity, and the rare gift.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:59 AM

Oh my! I have yet to make anything for myself..except a pair of PJ's! I kick myself sometimes, as I see so many wonderful things I would like to make/ have, but my giving alter ego always takes over! I am "trying" to make my first Bow Tuck, but the instructions (for me the newbie) are clear as a mud packed fence! Waaa