Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making 2 identical quilts >

Making 2 identical quilts

Making 2 identical quilts

Old 05-02-2018, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I assume there's a reason for making two identical quilts, so there should be less worry about not following through.
I bought the first butterfly panel to make a lap quilt for my grand niece. She's a really flamboyant child, and it reminded me of her. I didn't have a pattern, so I bought what I thought I would need. Then, I found the pattern put out by Timeless Treasures. Because of the way the borders are cut, I didn't have enough of the wave fabric for the lengthwise border, so had to go back for more. Since I already had a piece large enough for the cross borders, it allowed enough extra to make another quilt. So I bought another panel.

I bought the floral panel just because it's beautiful. And again, I didn't have a pattern for it. But once I found one, I went back for another panel, so I could use up the supporting fabrics.

So, no, I didn't have a plan. All the fabric came from an off price outlet, so it seemed reasonable to buy two at the time. I knew I would never find those fabrics again.

Now my plan is to make some of these quilts and to quit buying fabric until I use what I already have.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 05-02-2018 at 04:47 AM. Reason: additional thought
Old 05-02-2018, 04:53 AM

I would do them at the same time. It would save a lot of time. I would use lots of pinned on notations as I went along. I sew for a craft-boutique group and always make things in multiples. It is tedious to do them one at a time and then repeat the process.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:03 AM

I just finished 2 crib quilts for great nephew twins. I cut both out at the same time. I pieced both at the same time; however, I sandwiched, quilted and put borders on as separate quilts. Since these were my very first quilts, I learned from the first one. I think if I had completed one and then started the other, I would have been bored and have wished I was done. This way, I was excited as I saw how each one was progressing.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:10 AM

Dunster shared an interesting point...you might find an easier step while making the first one. My initial thoughts were the same as the majority of the group...do both at the same time, however, I’m one that would probably want to change my colors of the second one if the first one wasn’t coming together pleasingly. Good luck. <script type="text/javascript" src="https://beacon.krxd.net/optout_check?callback=Krux.ns.internetbrands.kxjso np_optOutCheck"></script>
Old 05-02-2018, 06:31 AM

I think I'd probably work on both at the same time, for the reason you stated.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
Dunster shared an interesting point...you might find an easier step while making the first one. My initial thoughts were the same as the majority of the group...do both at the same time, however, I’m one that would probably want to change my colors of the second one if the first one wasn’t coming together pleasingly. Good luck. <script type="text/javascript" src="https://beacon.krxd.net/optout_check?callback=Krux.ns.internetbrands.kxjso np_optOutCheck"></script>
I already did that. I had put a border together with fabrics that I thought would work, but didn't. I ended up finding the fabric that is used in the pattern online and ordering it. I'm going with it just like it's in the pattern on both of them.

bkay
Old 05-02-2018, 01:37 PM

I would do them at the same time to be sure they both got completed. I might do them one at a time if they were much larger and a more complicated pattern.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:34 AM

My inclination would be to do them both at the same time. Good luck and I hope you post photos when you finish.