Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making changes/corections - - - >

Making changes/corections - - -

Making changes/corections - - -

Old 10-07-2015, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

Default Making changes/corections - - -

I know that I am usually in the "change it if it seems to be wrong to you" group -

However - there are times when leaving it be might be the better way to go.

Examples:

If one has no more of the "perfect" fabric - and there is a chance of making it worse instead of better.

If the piece was made by someone near and dear to you - or that was someone's best at the time. Memories are more precious than perfection.

Sometimes the anomaly does make the piece more interesting in a good way.

If the quilt is for hard use such as a car quilt or kids' tents - finished is much better than perfect.

I still think things such open seams, or 1/16 inch seam allowances should be fixed.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I still think things such open seams, or 1/16 inch seam allowances should be fixed.
I agree with this statement. If something will impact the functionality of the quilt, I fix it. If my quilting stitches aren't formed properly, the seams aren't large enough or are crooked by 1/8" or more, I fix those. Other than that, I usually leave my mistakes. I figure I can either spend loads of time practicing my seam ripping skills or I can move on to the next quilt, apply what I've learned & make a new quilt that is better for the lessons I learned. By not fretting too much over my little mistakes (and I stress the word "little" -- big ones need to be fixed), I have more time to actually practice piecing & quilting.

Of course, show quilts are entirely different. If I have to unsew something 15x on a show quilt, so be it. For those, I really do strive to make it as close to perfect as I can.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:40 PM
Power Poster

I do what I heard what M. Porter (of F&P) said once. I will only rip out something 3 times. Then it is tossed and remade. I also contemplate on how obvious the error is.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:54 PM
Power Poster

Interesting to me that people ask and really know what they want to do. If they are the type to change something, they will, regardless of how many people say "galloping horse" etc. If they are the type to live with it, they will disregard when people say "It is your quilt, but it would bother me and I would change it". I think we all pretty much already know what we will do. At least that is my humble opinion!!
Old 10-07-2015, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Interesting to me that people ask and really know what they want to do. If they are the type to change something, they will, regardless of how many people say "galloping horse" etc. If they are the type to live with it, they will disregard when people say "It is your quilt, but it would bother me and I would change it". I think we all pretty much already know what we will do. At least that is my humble opinion!!
I don't know. I'm sure that's the case at least some of the time, but speaking for myself -- although I generally don't unsew a block I've finished, I asked for feedback here on how to rescue my block without unsewing & was told I needed to either unsew or remake it. I tried for a bit to get away without doing so & quickly came to the conclusion that I truly did need to cut new pieces for the exterior of a few blocks & use them to replace the ones causing me trouble. I'm truly grateful for the feedback from QB-ers because it helped me realize that this was one of the rare times where refusing to unsew would result in practicality issues (not just minor aesthetic problems). I work mainly with applique where unsewing is almost never a necessity so I needed the insight of those here who are more practiced with the piecing aspect of our craft.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:11 AM

I am making a scrappy quilt for my grandson and went back and removed some of a paisley fabric that I just didn't like. Too bad I don't think of these things FIRST.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
I don't know. I'm sure that's the case at least some of the time, but speaking for myself -- although I generally don't unsew a block I've finished, I asked for feedback here on how to rescue my block without unsewing & was told I needed to either unsew or remake it. I tried for a bit to get away without doing so & quickly came to the conclusion that I truly did need to cut new pieces for the exterior of a few blocks & use them to replace the ones causing me trouble. I'm truly grateful for the feedback from QB-ers because it helped me realize that this was one of the rare times where refusing to unsew would result in practicality issues (not just minor aesthetic problems). I work mainly with applique where unsewing is almost never a necessity so I needed the insight of those here who are more practiced with the piecing aspect of our craft.
Good input. I stand corrected!!