Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making a list of quality fabric brands/designers >

Making a list of quality fabric brands/designers

Making a list of quality fabric brands/designers

Old 05-14-2015, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
Free Spirit IS the name of the mfgr. Tula Smith is one of their designers.
Sandy
It's Tula Pink for Free Spirit. Marimekko has a website (https://us.marimekko.com/shops). Debbie Mumm and Faye Burgos are designers. Thimbleberries was Lynette Jensen's product line, but she retired in 2012 and the fabric is out of production.

Another way to check quality is read the end of the bolt to find out where the fabric is from. I have found that most of the fabric from China is poor quality and very stiff. The best fabric is from Japan, South Korea, and the USA.

Last edited by caspharm; 05-14-2015 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:06 PM

Default Keepsake Calico

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Welcome to QB. You'd be SO much wiser to keep an open mind and learn to judge fabric quality by actual experience, your own or that of reliable friends, not merely the name of the manufacturer. Making a list of "worthy" manufacturers is rather like making a list of states that are "worth" visiting. You won't know for sure until you see for yourself and you risk missing out on something wonderful.

Even with premium fabrics, it is wise to test a sample for shrinkage, bleeding, etc before use, especially in something made for sale.

Designer name has relatively little to do with actual quality of the fabric, btw, unless they are making their own fabrics. Also, Keepsake Quilting is a retail store, not a fabric manufacturer. The Keepsake Calico sold at JoAnn's has nothing to do with Keepsake Quilting.
Thank you for this info I thought it was from Keepsake Quilting, glad now I didn't go look at it when it was on sale.
Jeri
Old 05-15-2015, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by caspharm View Post
The best fabric is from Japan, South Korea, and the USA.
Wow, I suspect you'd get a LOT of disagreement with that statement, but it's a better discussion for a separate thread.