Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Making a list of quality fabric brands/designers

Making a list of quality fabric brands/designers

I just got rid of 2 big moving boxes full of cotton fabric. I'm new to quilting and I sure don't want to spend my time making quilts with fabric that is not high quality. I've been trying to find a list of fabric brands that are "safe" since I like to purchase my fabric online. I would love some input...

*I bought some fabric from a local "big box" store and made something with it, sold it, shipped it and the fabric faded out when washed. I ended up having to send a refund. Not good.*

Here is my list so far:

A.E. Nathan
    Alexander Henry
    Andover Fabrics
    Anthology Fabrics
    Avlyn
    Benartex Inc
    Blank
    Camelot Fabrics
    Clothworks
    Cotton Classics
    David Textiles
    Henry Glass
    Hoffman California Fabrics
    Jinny Beyer
    In The Beginning
    Island Batik Inc
    Kaffe Fassett
    Kaufman
    Keepsake Quilting
    Marcus Fabrics
    Maywood Studios
    Michael Miller Fabrics
    Moda Fabrics
    Northcott Fabrics
    Quilting Treasures
    P & B
    Red Rooster
    Riley Blake Designs
    RJR Fabrics
    Robert Kaufman
    Sign Series
    Springs Industries
    Studio E Fabrics
    Timeless Treasures Fabrics
    Treasures by Shabby Chic
    VIP Cranston
    Wilmington Prints
    Windham Fabrics

Blog Entries
    I have used most of these brands and they are great! I have never heard of Sign Series.

Quote Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
    I have used most of these brands and they are great! I have never heard of Sign Series.
    Hmmm...could be an older brand. I'll have to remove that one. I merged a couple lists I was able to find. I have used several of these, but not all of them.

Thanks for letting me know!

Blog Entries
    I like Connectingthreads brand as well:
    http://www.connectingthreads.com/

Kif
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest~Mark Twain

I would be careful with some of VIP Cranston and David Textile, they sometimes run other company's fabric through distributors. When I ordered fabric for the LQS that I worked at we would feel the fabric that was being ordered from them. We only ordered muslin from Springs.

Art Gallery Fabrics are also high quality and my favorite! They wash so soft and colors don't fade. I don't have any issues with fraying either. Their lines and designers are awesome also.

Lakehouse
    Riley Smith
    not sure that i would include VIP myself.

Avlyn is mo lng in business, btw

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Stof of Denmark is also very nice fabric; I prewash and had very little fraying and no shrinkage. Very nice hand as well.

I prefer Moda fabrics for the precuts, mainly because they are so reliable in size. Also the pinked edges are so much smaller than any of the others. I have to use mostly precuts because of a bad spine, cannot stand, bend over to cut. I don't have a particular designer in mind, I just choose if I like what I see.

Power Poster
    Hmmmm ------

I still soak everything in hot water for several hours and then gently wash and dry it before cutting it.

I have had issues with several of those listed - offhand, I can name Moda - a red bled; Michael Miller- shrinkage of over two inches in width of their black; some older Jinny Beyer fsbrics bled - a red and a blue; the red in a Hoffmann floral bled.

I like many of the VIP-Cranston fabrics - but not all of them. They seem to vary.

I made a point of looking at the Moda precuts at Hancocks of Paducah a couple weeks ago. they seemed very loosely woven for my taste.

Actually, some of the fabrics that I like best in my stash have no identification on their selvages.

Elizabeth Studios
    Fabric Freedom
    South Seas Imports
    Last edited by crossginny; 05-11-2015 at 07:16 PM.

I like many VIP fabrics and have had great success with them. They also fit my budget well.

Blog Entries
    Free Spirit
    Art Gallery

I made a similar list. I have a non-quilter friend who visits some super thrift stores while traveling out of state. I made a list which she could use as a "cheat sheet" when looking for fabrics for me. I made the list using fabrics I love plus info contained in posts here on the QB. I had all the fabric names you had plus a couple more on my list. Here are the ones that were not on your list.

Debbie Mumm
    Faye Burgos
    Free Spirit
    Merimekko
    Thimbleberries

I think a couple of these are actually designers, not manufacturers, so you may want to disregard them.

What's funny is she just returned from a trip and found 2 pieces for me. I love the patterns, the fabric is soft and yet substantial, but the names on the selvedge were not on my list at all! She winged it and did great.

What do you folks know about Pressman Gutman Co and Hamil? My friend got me 2 pieces for $ 2.50 per yard. That's higher than my usual thrift store prices, but still super fun fabrics.

Welcome to QB. You'd be SO much wiser to keep an open mind and learn to judge fabric quality by actual experience, your own or that of reliable friends, not merely the name of the manufacturer. Making a list of "worthy" manufacturers is rather like making a list of states that are "worth" visiting. You won't know for sure until you see for yourself and you risk missing out on something wonderful.

Even with premium fabrics, it is wise to test a sample for shrinkage, bleeding, etc before use, especially in something made for sale.

Designer name has relatively little to do with actual quality of the fabric, btw, unless they are making their own fabrics. Also, Keepsake Quilting is a retail store, not a fabric manufacturer. The Keepsake Calico sold at JoAnn's has nothing to do with Keepsake Quilting.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

CORRECTION! Riley Blake!

Not smith....I must have been really tired when I posted last night.

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini

Ghostrider has very valid points....like on everything else...the "name" doesn't always mean perfect.....

Btw...you said you had made/sold something and then had to refund $ because of fading after washing....many ?? in my head....how washed? how often? Care instructions included? Did you check for bleed/fade before construction?

Quote Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 View Post
    I made a similar list. I have a non-quilter friend who visits some super thrift stores while traveling out of state. I made a list which she could use as a "cheat sheet" when looking for fabrics for me. I made the list using fabrics I love plus info contained in posts here on the QB. I had all the fabric names you had plus a couple more on my list. Here are the ones that were not on your list.

Debbie Mumm
    Faye Burgos
    Free Spirit
    Merimekko
    Thimbleberries

I think a couple of these are actually designers, not manufacturers, so you may want to disregard them.

What's funny is she just returned from a trip and found 2 pieces for me. I love the patterns, the fabric is soft and yet substantial, but the names on the selvedge were not on my list at all! She winged it and did great.

What do you folks know about Pressman Gutman Co and Hamil? My friend got me 2 pieces for $ 2.50 per yard. That's higher than my usual thrift store prices, but still super fun fabrics.

Free Spirit IS the name of the mfgr. Tula Smith is one of their designers.
    Sandy
    Sandygirl

Waverely now makes a quilting cotton that's pretty nice to work with
    Be kinder than is necessary because everyone you meet is
    fighting some kind of battle

Quote Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
    Free Spirit IS the name of the mfgr. Tula Smith is one of their designers.
    Sandy
    Thanks for the clarification!

You do have some companies that are not the best. You really have to get to a quilt shop and start feeling the fabric. I usually stick with RK, Hoffman, TT , Northcott, Moda and RJR ( Jinny Beyer).
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I took Timeless Treasures off my list of acceptable brands recently when their fabric shrunk 3.25 inches in width when I washed it.

I have been disappointed with Marcus Brothers. I buy lots on line and have gotten some very thin fabric made by them.

I like a variety of brands, and some with no name on selvage. I'm just not a "brand name" person I guess, have had fabrics from LQS, Joanns, Hancocks, and YES walmart. I do like David Textiles, Waverly, and just bought some Fabric Tradition from walmart. Used a Moda one time for a binding, liked the feel of it, but it raveled sooo bad. I guess I've just been lucky, but have made many quilts that are used and washed frequently with a variety of fabrics, and never had issues with any of them.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    Welcome to QB. You'd be SO much wiser to keep an open mind and learn to judge fabric quality by actual experience, your own or that of reliable friends, not merely the name of the manufacturer. Making a list of "worthy" manufacturers is rather like making a list of states that are "worth" visiting. You won't know for sure until you see for yourself and you risk missing out on something wonderful.

Even with premium fabrics, it is wise to test a sample for shrinkage, bleeding, etc before use, especially in something made for sale.

Designer name has relatively little to do with actual quality of the fabric, btw, unless they are making their own fabrics. Also, Keepsake Quilting is a retail store, not a fabric manufacturer. The Keepsake Calico sold at JoAnn's has nothing to do with Keepsake Quilting.
    You said what I wanred to say.

It seems to me that some of the brands have changed over the years.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast