Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
making potholders? >

making potholders?

making potholders?

Old 04-21-2011, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by cabinfever
Originally Posted by Eileen
I only use insulbright for casserole carriers & such. When I make pot holder, potato bags, etc I use Thermalam. You can put it in the microwave without having sparks. I usually use two layers though.
I didn't know what the 2nd item was...so here is a link for those who were uninformed like myself; it is a fusible batting. http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...+plus+45%22.do
It is spelled "Thermolam", a pellon product. I think since it's fusible, you wouldn't need to overquilt the center...& remember it's the air pockets that make it an insulator. Every stitching line is a perforation & pulls the layers tight together, reducing the insulating effect.
I don't use the fusible themolam. I'd rather do large quilting for the pot holders & usually very little for potatoe bags. You can also use it for tortilla bags.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug
here is a quick fun tutorial on making potholders with no bindings. http://www.thriftyideastoday.com/201...-can-make.html
will have to try this one, looks fun
Old 04-21-2011, 02:05 PM

I used insulbrite between batting with no problems but I'm not sure that I think insulbrite is everything they say it is. Next time I would just use batting Or towels
Old 04-21-2011, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by normasews
Ok, I too may be asking a dumb question, but why would you need batting? Isn't the insulbrite thick enough? It would seem to me it would make it to thick. What do I know?!
The package directions on the Insulbrite say to use it with a layer of cotton batting. I'm not sure why, but I guess they know their product.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:35 PM

I use insulbright and warm and natural.
simple quilter
Old 04-21-2011, 08:23 PM

Hi Rag Queen, Yup, one layer of insulbrite and one layer of warm and natural, or the bamboo quilt batt. I also use the warm and natural for the potato bags, it has no scrim (glue) in it. It is specifically for the tater-bags. I have also used 6 layers of flannelette. That works great too, and everyone has flannel hanging around left over from pyjama pants. And yes, up the size of your needle, try a sharp or quilting needle, as long as it has a larger shank. Auntie B in Saskatchewan. I like to use the quilt as you go patterns for pot holders and then just bind them. I made several pairs of pot pinchers for my sisters for xmas, I picked colours to match their kitchens, I also made them cupcake pot holders, too cute. They look like a big cupcake, your hand slips under the icing. My sisters loved them !!!!!!!!
Old 04-23-2011, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Eileen
I don't use the fusible themolam. I'd rather do large quilting for the pot holders & usually very little for potatoe bags. You can also use it for tortilla bags.
Sorry, I didn't find anything by that name that wasn't a fusible. Is it also from Pellon? Is it just a type of batting, or does it have some other heat-resistant quality? Thanks for your input; I am always here to learn.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:16 AM

[quote=Rose_P]
...but why would you need batting? Isn't the insulbrite thick enough? It would seem to me it would make it too thick.
Originally Posted by Rose_P
The package directions on the Insulbrite say to use it with a layer of cotton batting. I'm not sure why, but I guess they know their product.
Normasews...are you perhaps using the insulbrite that already has a padding attached? Joann's sells this type for about $12.99/ yd. I only buy it @ 1/2 off, whenever they have interfacings on sale; & hadn't used it for potholders, but I guess you could.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:55 AM

[quote=cabinfever]
...but why would you need batting? Isn't the insulbrite thick enough? It would seem to me it would make it too thick.
Normasews...are you perhaps using the insulbrite that already has a padding attached? Joann's sells this type for about $12.99/ yd. I only buy it @ 1/2 off, whenever they have interfacings on sale; & hadn't used it for potholders, but I guess you could.
This might be confusing with all the list of replies, but the one I have is a 36" X 45" piece that comes in a package for about $8 (I used a coupon, or probably wouldn't have bought it). It's called Insul-Bright Needlepunched Insulated Lining. It is not fusible. I was not aware of any other type of Insul-Bright than the one I have. This looks like thin poly batting attached to both sides of a sort of plastic material that is "metalized polyester" according to the package. I think I have seen some directions for potholders that said to use it without extra padding, but I don't remember where, and can't find it now. The manufacturer says to use more cotton batting. Because of metal content, it can't be used in the microwave.

It would be too thick to hand quilt, but I'm pretty sure machine quilting would not be a big problem, using a denim needle. Sorry, I have not tried it yet.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Auntie B
Hi Rag Queen, Yup, one layer of insulbrite and one layer of warm and natural, or the bamboo quilt batt. I also use the warm and natural for the potato bags, it has no scrim (glue) in it. It is specifically for the tater-bags. I have also used 6 layers of flannelette. That works great too, and everyone has flannel hanging around left over from pyjama pants. And yes, up the size of your needle, try a sharp or quilting needle, as long as it has a larger shank. Auntie B in Saskatchewan. I like to use the quilt as you go patterns for pot holders and then just bind them. I made several pairs of pot pinchers for my sisters for xmas, I picked colours to match their kitchens, I also made them cupcake pot holders, too cute. They look like a big cupcake, your hand slips under the icing. My sisters loved them !!!!!!!!
cupcake potholders - how cute! would love to see a picture as well as a tute (hint hint)