Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making a quilt sandwich >

Making a quilt sandwich

Making a quilt sandwich

Old 07-26-2012, 11:58 AM

If you have an empty, wall you can pin it to the wall and do any of the methods.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:07 PM

I combine methods according to size. For bed size quilts, I start by basting with herringbone basting stitches along the sashings or the outside edges of blocks on my dining room table with all of the sides hanging down. With this method I can check alignment of the pieced back as I go. Then I safety pin once in the center of the blocks until I get ready to start quilting that section. If I am straight line quilting, I will add straight quilting pins. Otherwise, I add some more safety pins. To me, this adds less weight than heavy pinning all over the quilt and doesn't take as much time as basting the whole quilt.

If I make smaller quilts such as baby or lap quilts, I will baste all over. I've tried the boards and dangling over the edges of a folding 24" X 48" table, and have no preference. The trick to basting for me was finding long 5" needles that are fine, but not too fine, and thread which won't tangle. I can baste much faster now.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:35 PM

I also use Susan Schamber's method of basting. It worked perfectly on one quilt where I didn't have much play room w/ extra batting or backing. Things barely shifted or puckered up while i was quilting. When I quilt, I always start in the middle and work my way out in all directions.

btw - i used to do counted cross-stitch and i use my leftover embroidery floss..
Old 07-26-2012, 01:40 PM
Power Poster

It's hard to say what will work best for you. I like anything that does not require me to do a lot of odd bending coz my lower back can't handle it. I also refuse to crawl around the floor. Unfortunately I have no room for a basting wall but I think I will convert to the Schamber's Method too because it takes less space. It may be a bit more time-consuming but in the end, you have no puckers. When I SID, I use the curved pins about hand-width apart. Not that I have a quilting machine, I will try to use the 505 spray. Good luck finding your way - there are lots of options.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:55 PM
Power Poster

I pin my sandwich with regular long safety pins, about 3-4" apart. I have a small glass topped dining table so no need to worry about scratching the table top. For a long quilt I set up a 4x8' folding table at the end and just pin and smooth until it is all pinned. I use clamps from Home Depot to hold the sandwich to the table. I have done many quilts like this. Everyone has to try to find what works best for them.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by susiequilt View Post
If you have an empty, wall you can pin it to the wall and do any of the methods.
Not enjoying the crawling around on hands and knees part, and with inadequate table space, this is what I do. 505 spray baste works great but the room does need good ventilation.

Hopefully this link takes you to the post Mamagus made showing her pictures of stand-up spray basting. It's helpful.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...te-t28280.html
Old 07-27-2012, 09:51 AM

I'm so glad you mentioned using your bed and holding the can a bit closer because I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE 505 basting spray and have no place to sandwich my quilts..... thank you, thank you.....
Old 07-29-2012, 10:55 PM

Thank you everyone. Over here in England the 505 is very expensive. I do have small rooms and a round dining table. From all your fantastic comments glueing seems the most popular. Here taping and pinning is most popular which I find too difficult. I may look at cheaper glues. But again thank you to everyone who replied