Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making a quilt for someone without knowing what they like >

Making a quilt for someone without knowing what they like

Making a quilt for someone without knowing what they like

Old 12-13-2019, 05:15 AM

Ask the Mom, what the daughter likes have they register with any stores yet?? Again, I'd ask the Mom about that also.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-13-2019 at 07:19 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 12-13-2019, 05:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Patchworkbarb View Post
I would do a low volume quilt, with white, cream, pale gray. A disappearing 9patch is easy and looks wonderful sewn up. I say low volume, because then it would go with anything.
It was very hard for me to make this quilt for a friend, because I do t normally do low volume. I’m more of a Freddy Moran type personality.
Great idea, Barb..sweet quilt...and you've helped me...I'm in a similar dilemma for a chemo quilt for my DIL's dad and don't have many masculine pieces in my stash...thanks for the suggestion... and good luck with your quilt marand Oh and I like himnherr's idea as well.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:47 AM

I think a lap quilt in neutral colors would work well. The other thing you might check is what are her wedding colors as that is probably some of her favorite colors.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:22 AM

I would ask her. You will have a substantial investment in time and money. As her to email you an inspiration picture, it will help. I would also refer to her registry.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by himnherr View Post
I made this for my sister in law for her 2nd marriage. I didn’t know the husband at all, and she doesn’t really seem to have any preferences- tastes run very eclectic. I made this completely from my stash except for the batting. It was very well received. This has become my go to pattern. I’ve made 4-5 of them so far.
I love this. I know I've seen it before but can you give me the name of the pattern?
Old 12-13-2019, 09:25 AM

I wouldn’t do it without consulting the recipient. I always consult with the people I am making a quilt for. I just finished a quilt and let the bride pick the main fabric in her signature table runner from my stash. I didn’t know her well, my husband volunteers with her husband. I’m making a boomerang swap quilt for a dear friend and I let her pick the color choices. Many, me included would not care for a low value quilt. Quilts take a lot of time and money. Don’t waste yours on something the recipient won’t like. You don’t want your quilt to end up in a closet only coming out when you visit. That’s a burden on you and her. Don’t gift a burden.

That being said I limit what I allow people to choose. Color or one main fabric, never design. It’s got to be something I will enjoy working on.

Good luck
Old 12-13-2019, 10:11 AM

another idea....how about making a couple of his and her flannel lap quilts.....great for snuggling on the couch and watching a movie....maybe in neutral colors? My brother and his wife...love the flannel scrap lap quilts I made for them...they were easy to make and so cuddly!
Old 12-13-2019, 11:55 AM

I would ask, but if you really want it to be a surprise, try to find out what colors she likes or decorates with and make something geometric and modern-ish in either solids or non-busy prints. Unless you know she likes traditional quilt designs, florals, or batiks I wouldn’t use them. Something like this is probably more likely to appeal to them: https://www.vacilandoquilting.co/sho...n-tutorial-pdf
Old 12-13-2019, 01:04 PM

When a good friend's kids got married I offered to make a quilt or buy something from their registry. I suggested that I would work with them to find a design that they'd like, but if they weren't interested in hand made stuff, I'd prefer to get something in their registry. My friend asked the kids, and then came back and said they prefer from their registry. I was really glad I asked. No feelings were hurt. Some of our mutual friend were shocked at the response, but I was happy because I don't want to work hard on a quilt that's not going to be appreciated.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:09 PM

Is she on FB or Instagram? You could get a lot of clue there from the colors she wear, possibly even pics of her home.