Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making a quilt for someone without knowing what they like >

Making a quilt for someone without knowing what they like

Making a quilt for someone without knowing what they like

Old 12-13-2019, 04:00 PM
Power Poster

I have gotten lucky so far and all have liked my quilts.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:24 PM

I'm going to vote for doing something you really like. It is an expression of who you are and what you love to do. If you can convey a warm comforting love and let that come through in a quilt for her, it will be treasured. Pox on the groom.
Old 12-14-2019, 05:19 PM

What colors does your niece tend to wear? Make a very simple quilt in those colors. Or, if she has a general color scheme in her house, use that. My goto, Donna Jordan, will have some easy quilts on You Tube that could be modified to the colors that your niece prefers.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:06 PM

I am suggesting a memory quilt of her wedding. You could use half square triangles and let each couple write something on their half square triangle at the wedding, sew it up into a quilt after the wedding. Use the colors of the wedding.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:43 PM

Sorry, I am new to this forum. I come from a long line of quilters, but I just like to embroidery and have someone machine quilt. I don’t know where to ask this so if you can direct me elsewhere, please do. I recently found several large blocks embroidered beautifully by my late aunt. I chose a delicate green for the inserts and just wanted a plain border with the same material. My quilter chose to add a broken dark green border with arrows in the corners. The border is not even symmetrical on the top and bottom of the quilt.
Is it possible to take the border off, even though it has been quilted and bound? If that isn’t possible could the bottom be cut and be rebound to match the top and I learn to live with the dark. I am just sick about this. I was not consulted about the change. Thank you!
Old 12-15-2019, 04:15 AM

I always look at people's homes and what they wear. It tells you a lot about their color preferences. Does she tend to wear a lot of the same color, or have a color going throughout her home? Or...does she collect anything or have any hobbies ? That might also be a good place to start.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:53 AM

It's nice that you want to make her a quilt, however, maybe she isn't into quilts. Many young ladies think they are old fashioned. I do not like quilts hanging on the back of my couch or chairs. We do have lap quilts in the closet we pull out to use. I make mine in colors I love because they are put away after each use. A safer way to give her a handmade gift would be to make a table runner or placemats. You could make them a holiday theme like Halloween, fall, Christmas, etc. That way she won't feel obligated to use them daily. Also making something small is less expensive and you know it won't be thrown on the floor for the dog to sleep on.