Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making quilt surface like on Youtube >

Making quilt surface like on Youtube

Making quilt surface like on Youtube

Old 03-28-2010, 10:13 AM
Power Poster

I bought my vinyl at Walmart. It's on a roll, wide, and I think about $4 a yard.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by fabric-holic
I have another question--
Should I take the tool box thing off the front of my machine and then make the foam fit around just the free arm?
Or does it really matter?
If you have to take the tool box thing off your machine in order to reach the bobbin, I would leave it off when cutting your foam table. Less work to get to the bobbin when you run out of thread. My machine doesn't have a tool box, but does have a table extension. I left that off and had dh cut the foam to fit the free arm.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by ToucanSam
I just bought the insulation and nailed it to my wall with roofing nails. Works great!
LOL...I don't think I could get my sewing machine to stay on my wall...
But I know you really meant your husband made you a "wall" for pinning into etc.
That's my next project but right now I'm trying to make a sewing machine cut-out in the insulation and build up my sewing table surface.
Thanks for the laugh.

oops! never mind! (i'll claim to have posted this before i had my caffeine so as to not look stupid!)
Old 03-28-2010, 10:42 AM

JoAnn's and Hancocks carry vinyl
Old 03-28-2010, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
I have another question--
Should I take the tool box thing off the front of my machine and then make the foam fit around just the free arm?
Or does it really matter?
If you have to take the tool box thing off your machine in order to reach the bobbin, I would leave it off when cutting your foam table. Less work to get to the bobbin when you run out of thread. My machine doesn't have a tool box, but does have a table extension. I left that off and had dh cut the foam to fit the free arm.
Thanks that's what I've decided to do too.
I think I'll need to cut out a little more in front of the bobbin door.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Sharon321
JoAnn's and Hancocks carry vinyl
I don't have a Hancock's anymore, nor a WalMart that carries fabric.
I wasn't near my Joanns so I just bought a clear vinyl shower curtain. I won't really know if it's thick enough till I try moving fabric around on it.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:33 PM

I used the vinyl that you put on your windows to keep the cold out (I know it has a name, can't think of it.) I have to remember to take the tool box off my machine before I start-usually don't remember then have to slide the insulation board out of the way to get to it. I just taped the vinyl real tight on the bottom-wrapped it like a present. I think a shower curtain would work if it's shiny and slippy (is that a word?). Good luck-let us know how this works for you.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by janRN
I used the vinyl that you put on your windows to keep the cold out
The kind that you shrink with a hair dryer?
I'd thought of that but I was afraid it'd be too thin.
Now I'm not as worried about the thickness of the shower curtain I bought since reading your post.
I haven't finished doing this yet. I've fit 2 out of 3 foam boards around my sewing machine.
Had to stop and go to my DD's for dinner.
Maybe I'll finish it tomorrow after work.
It's going to be about 1/2" too low, not exactly flush with the needle (because I measured wrong...I can't believe I did that....duh). But it'll be a big improvement compared to before.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:09 PM

Thanks for the laugh ToucanSam. I was trying to picture how you were sewing on your wall when I too realized what you were actually trying to say.

I have seen this before but didn't think it was necessary for me. I am re-thinking that since my DD's quilt will be queen size and I will need more workspace than I currently have.

JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby also carry the vinyl. JoAnn's has many thickness' available. Hobby Lobby had two or three I think last time I was there. Only Wal-mart's with fabric dept. still in store carry the roll vinyl which is normally found on a stand with several other rolls of vinyl tablecloths by the cutting table.

Otherwise, go to the Hardware dept. and go to the aisle where they sell the heaters, fans, plastic window coverings, and such. I think most of these will be too flimsy and don;t get heat near them as they are meant to shrink when placed on window and use a hair dryer to shrink to fit. Be sure you get the size package you need for your table. Remeber, "measure twice, cut once."
Old 03-28-2010, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by wvdek
Remember, "measure twice, cut once."
Yeah yeah...smarty :-D
You must have read my earlier post about not measuring this stuff correctly. I still can't believe I did that.
If this shower curtain turns out to be too thin, I'll go to Joanns and replace it with a thicker vinyl. But, boy, the curtain only cost me about $3 at Meijers. Can't beat that, eh?