Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Managing Large Amount of Fabric >

Managing Large Amount of Fabric

Managing Large Amount of Fabric

Old 08-15-2020, 06:09 AM

In other news, are those two hinge pins really supposed to be the only things holding the machine up when it is stored away? I was fixing the underside of the table while looking at a 25 pound sewing machine suspended over my face.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:18 AM

When I'm at the end of making my quilt and am adding borders I'll fold the length back and forth and lay it on my lap so as I run it thru the needle the weight is in my lap. Or if you have any pool noodles roll the length on that and lay it on your lap if possible. I have an extra sewing machine I use, placed at one end of my cutting table (4x8) and run the quilt thru this machine to add the borders and/or binding. This way most all the weight is laying on the table and not hanging down over the table. Sure beats breaking needles.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:49 AM

Are you pressing hems, folded in place, too? That helps eliminate any pulling on the fabric you may be doing to get it in place.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:10 AM

Hems are all neatly pressed and hemmed--it's all in the fussy steps innit? I have tried neatly folding the panel with mind to how it feeds through the machine, and so far it's going OK. I better run out to Wally World to get more medium-duty needles just in case! Thank you for the tips, gang!
Old 08-15-2020, 02:28 PM
Power Poster

I would get heavy duty needles. Medium duty would be too light, I think.

Good luck with your drape making.
Old 08-15-2020, 03:54 PM

Heavy duty needles are probably a good idea. Four needles gave their lives for these curtains. Their sacrifice was not in vain.
Attached Thumbnails 20200815_175548.1.jpg  
Old 08-15-2020, 04:26 PM
Gay

I put a hook in the ceiling to hang long dresses while I sew the hems, so they don't hang to the floor.
Perhaps you could do the same using a length of dowel (the metal type with a hole ) and feel wire through to hang the curtains, like an oversized coathanger.
Another thought is similar to a frame some quilters have constructed with poly pipes (forgot what they're made of).
Old 08-16-2020, 05:16 AM

If you can tighten the presser foot tension, it will help feed the fabric more evenly. On an old Singer, it's the round metal knob on the top, left.

Also, Singer needles are smaller at the top, and can work loose. Use a Schmetz or Organ needle.

Last edited by quiltedsunshine; 08-16-2020 at 05:18 AM.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:53 AM

As you've found, there are tricks and techniques for dealing with large pieces of fabric. Grats to you for working through it and learning what worked for you, you'll be able to share that with the next person

I don't think accordion folding the piece so you can keep it on your lap while supporting the unsewn weight was mentioned. Likewise, I've spent many hot months (it always seems like I have a quilt that requires me to finish it in the summer) with fabric slung over my shoulder...