Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Marking accuquilt go dies?

CRO

Marking accuquilt go dies?

I got a Go for Christmas and could not be happier.
    I see many posts about marking the dies on different lines. What do you all use to mark them that you know won't transfer to the dies?
    Thanks for any info.

I use a Sharpie metallic marker.

CRO
    Thank you Candace. I actually meant transfer to the fabric. Sorry.

I use black thin line Sharpie. I use painters tape to mark half a die shape plus 1/4".
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I use the silver permanent sharpie....on the older dies I ran it right onto the die edge all around then some registration marks on bkgrd so I know where the die is ....once you lay fabric on you would always have to peak to make sure you are on mark.......now the new dies are two colors so that helps, but I still make " notes/marks" on mine......and once the ink dries....safe. " permanent"

I also measure the size piece of fabric to be cut that will fit the die and write it in silver sharpie on the foam, too. I add 1/4" to the actual die measurement but have done fine with even less.
    Laura

Blog Entries
    I use a silver sharpie. I haven't noticed any silver transferring to fabric.

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    I use a sharpie...if you have time go view some of Ebony Love's videos on Youtube! She is GREAT!
    Valerie Smith - pumpkinpatchquilter
    Obsessed Quilter and APQS Long Arm Machine Quilter
    www.pumpkinpatchquilter.com

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter View Post
    I use a sharpie...if you have time go view some of Ebony Love's videos on Youtube! She is GREAT!
    I agree! She is awesome!
    Confirmed fabric-holic seeking 12 step treatment program or a storage building.

pw6
    why are you marking them for? I have never heard of that, what does it do? all my dies have the seam allowance already in the dies.. but then I have a studio Mark

Quote Originally Posted by pw6 View Post
    why are you marking them for? I have never heard of that, what does it do? all my dies have the seam allowance already in the dies.. but then I have a studio Mark
    Not marking seam allowance.....marking the actual cutting line of the die. The older ones were all black sponge in which the die blade is imbedded.......using the silver sharpie to mark that blade so we can lay the fabric correctly on it.....I make registration lines near the edge of the sponge at about 1/4" more than end of cut....just to make sure am putting down right when doing scraps. The newer dies are two colors so outlining is not necessary...but I still put grain line arrows or marks on sponge for my own I do......just to clarify the use of sharpies