Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Marking on a quilt

Blog Entries
    you should test what ever you want to try to use. just because it came out of my quilt does not mean it will come out of yours! i have had good luck with chalk and with just a pencil, but i always test to see if it will show-up enough and wash out. i ruined a quilt by using a (disappearing-ink) pen a quilt shop owner insisted was what i should be using. now i test everything, and i use what ever can be the lightest and least amount of marking as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    you should test what ever you want to try to use. just because it came out of my quilt does not mean it will come out of yours! i have had good luck with chalk and with just a pencil, but i always test to see if it will show-up enough and wash out. i ruined a quilt by using a (disappearing-ink) pen a quilt shop owner insisted was what i should be using. now i test everything, and i use what ever can be the lightest and least amount of marking as possible.
    Best tip here. I always test mine on a scrap of fabric first also...

Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    Thanks ladies! I DID test the disappearing pen with a few scrap pieces that I am using. It came out of everything. So far so good

Quote Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
    Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    Thanks ladies! I DID test the disappearing pen with a few scrap pieces that I am using. It came out of everything. So far so good
    I sure liked it. So far so good...

I loved this thread... I, too, had concerns as to marking a quilt for "quilting". A very dear and a quilter since I think she was 2 yrs old had told me to use the disppearing ink pen. WEll I did pick up a blue one and proceeded happily along and drew out the entire pattern over the entire quilt top. The next day all I had to was set it on the machine and go for it. I have to tell you from personal experience that in doing that, by the next morning everything had already disappeared. DUH... but a learning experience is always a good experience as a bad experience is one that you will never made again. Still giggling over that wonderful job I had done.. undone.

Quote Originally Posted by bluestarmom
    I loved this thread... I, too, had concerns as to marking a quilt for "quilting". A very dear and a quilter since I think she was 2 yrs old had told me to use the disppearing ink pen. WEll I did pick up a blue one and proceeded happily along and drew out the entire pattern over the entire quilt top. The next day all I had to was set it on the machine and go for it. I have to tell you from personal experience that in doing that, by the next morning everything had already disappeared. DUH... but a learning experience is always a good experience as a bad experience is one that you will never made again. Still giggling over that wonderful job I had done.. undone.
    I know that is wasn't funny at the time. But, I have done the exact thing. Now I think it is hillarious!!

Quote Originally Posted by bluestarmom
    At least you knew it worked :mrgreen: bummer though :?

Blog Entries
    I use and have very good luck with the childrens washable Crayola markers. I like using the thin ones vs the wide. Make sure they say washable on the marker. I have used them many times and have not had a problem with them washing out. They come in a package of many colors.

Judy in Michigan

Banned
    That is a great idea....I use the Golden Threads paper and hate picking it out!!! Never gave your idea a thought and sounds really easy to do....

Quote Originally Posted by stevendebbie25
    I took a class from Sharon Shamber, who LOVES the Pilot Frixion pens. We did this in class, amazing how a hot iron makes it totally disappear.

http://www.sharonschamber.com/Home%20Page.htm
    Sharon Schamber won Best of Show in Houston - $10,000. The quilt was unbelievable. The picture of it here on the board does not do it justice. You need to see it in person.

Blog Entries
    great tip, thanks for sharing with us

Quote Originally Posted by Gal
    I use the Hera marking tool or water soluable artist quality pencils for my hand quilting. I also use masking tape for straight lines.

Gal

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3