Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
marking quilts >

marking quilts

marking quilts

Old 02-05-2007, 02:09 PM

Julie,
About your bleeding thread, when you finish your quilt wash it again with a 'dye magnet'. There are several different brands out there. I am using the one by Shout. I was told a story about a woman who made her quilt without pre-washing the fabrics and ... you guessed it, the red ran. The woman re-washed the quilt a few times with the dye magnet and managed to get most of the 'pink' out, not all but most. It's certainly worth a try.

Remember also what Elenor Burns says, "Hang it high and keep it moving!" :lol:

Most importantly, DO NOT tell anyone or point out to anyone the lines on your quilt. Most people will never see them! Trust me! Just smile and say thank you when everyone raves about your beautiful work.

Oh, the hard way we learn our lessons! :wink:
Old 02-05-2007, 02:37 PM
Administrator

I'm still betting you'll be the only one who doesn't just love the way it turns out. :-)

Just stand back, relax, and bask in the glow of their praise. Before you know it, you'll be glad you couldn't get the marks to go away.
:wink:
Old 02-14-2007, 09:25 AM

I'll add my 5 cents worth. I have never had a problem with any kind of pencil markings. They always washed out but I tried to make them as light as I could get away with.

Good luck.
Emma
Old 02-17-2007, 08:45 AM

Wal-mart sells a stain remover brand "carbona" they are formulated esp. for a variety of stains sold in small bottles for $2.50-$3.00 I've used the oil and grease formula and it works great. :D
Old 02-17-2007, 10:34 AM

Please what ever you do don't touch where the markings are with a iron even water soluble blue markers have been known to reappear Quilt like you have marked and you will [probbly like it when you are finished I quilt with a church group and have yet quilted one we didn't like when finished doning this for 15 years Good Luck
Old 02-14-2008, 10:35 PM

I thought I was smart in using tailor’s chalk. Think again, the blue can stain. I’m in the middle of quilting the Amish 9 bar and got to the light colored violet where I couldn’t see the soap stone. I tried the blue tailor’s chalk, which showed up great, but now that I’ve quilted the one bar, found it difficult to remove the stain. I tried to brush it off like usual, but it wouldn't. Then took a sponge a corner, then mild detergent. I ended up using simple green on a swatch and it did a pretty good job, but I can still see it if I look really close enough. I’m hopeful a good wash will take the stain away completely, but it's a lesson learned the hard way I fear.

TEST YOUR MARKERS ON FABRIC FIRST!

I should have known better as many times as I got that piece of advice in each and every book.

Now if I could just find something to mark the other pale bar with I’d be half way happy.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Lucia
Julie
Sorry, but I have bad news: Regular pencil does not come off fabric! I think almost every quilter learned it the “hard way”. :( You can use a graphite pencil (art supply store) but, just in case, I always try in a small piece to make sure it comes off.
Other things you can try to mark quilts are: soap stone pencil, color pencils, pencils sold as markers in quilting stores, ball point pens :shock: , crayolla washable markers :shock: and my favorites, chalk markers (if you mark as you quilt) and hera marker :) . I had a bad result with blue chalk! I know some of these sound crazy, but it is much easier to wash a ball point pen mark than pencil. The bottom line, as I mentioned above, always try in a small piece of the fabric you will use on and wash it before using it in the quilt top!
I used pieces of muslin and made samples of all the things that I can use; I mark 2 pieces and wash one. Then I file both of them and that way I have an idea of what I can use in the future.
Hope this helps. Lucia
One thing I really like to use are little slivers of soap. Whenever my soap gets very thin, I steal it out of the shower and off it goes to my quilt room. I find it makes an excellent marking tool and it always washes out. :D
~Tiffany
Old 02-14-2008, 10:59 PM

And of course the blue marking pen that I was leery of, and didn't try before now, works excellent on this fabric. Also, I think I'm getting rather nervous over a little matter. I mean I could hardly see the lines when I was quilting atop them, and now that I find they are difficult to remove that's all I can see.
:roll:
Old 02-14-2008, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Andie
Please what ever you do don't touch where the markings are with a iron even water soluble blue markers have been known to reappear Quilt like you have marked and you will [probbly like it when you are finished I quilt with a church group and have yet quilted one we didn't like when finished doning this for 15 years Good Luck
I also learned that if you leave a quilt top that is marked with the blue pen in the sun it will become permanent, just as if ironed. I learned that one the hard way.
~Tiffany
Old 02-15-2008, 03:35 AM

Try Tide to Go, available in the laundry products. This worked for me.
Phyllis