Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Marking Quilts...what tool for what technique? >

Marking Quilts...what tool for what technique?

Marking Quilts...what tool for what technique?

Old 11-19-2010, 08:06 AM

I know there's a zillion topics on marking, but I haven't found one that is a "comparison" type post...can you guys help me out?

In your experience, when is it best to use:

Tailor's Wax (those flat, different colored chips that are maybe 2"x3")
Pencils (including white, blue, etc?)
"POUNCE" (What the heck is this?)
Disappearing ink (How long can your item be marked before it goes away?)
Chalk (does this rub off if your quilt is handled a lot? Only for quickie jobs?)

Me, personally? I want to try my hand (heh) at hand-quilting. I am thinking it will be a long process, while I sit with the family and listen to TV while they watch. I can just about guarantee the kids will want to be "under" the loose part while I work. They will probably place their hands on it, more than once. :lol:
Old 11-19-2010, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

If it is a project that can be marked in small sections - I think I would use the chalky pencils. It does rub off - but if it stays on long enough to do the section one is working on - that would be good enough for me.

It would require marking the unquilted areas as one went - but that can be done.

I just don't have enough confidence in the pen types to use them. I had bought some "old" fabric that had light areas where it had been inked.

And as someone on here said - for heavens sake, do NOT NOT NOT use a ball-point pen.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:15 AM

Right now I am in love with the Fon's & Porter mechanical pencils...White "lead" works great for dark...I think I saw some dark "lead" for it also..but only that one time..Haven't ran across it again. I just use a regular pencil when I need to. I also have some of that colored chalk that comes with its own little holder. That works good too but its not easy to sharpen.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:19 AM
Banned

Tailor's wax was most commonly used in dressmaking. I am told it can be removed with steam. Havn't tried it.
Pencils... Lots of different pencils for marking fabric/quilts. there are a number on the market that indicate they are washable. Always test before using. There is a new mechanical pencil (Sewline, Fons and Porter, Collins, etc) that are supposed to be washable. This means there is no wax in the led. If marking with a regular #2 pencil, keep the led sharp and mark just enough to see.
Pounce. This is a chalk substance that is used with stencils. There are two kinds: regular which is just chalk and will rub off if rubbed and lots of dust in the air.The second is similar to the tailors wax. It is a mixture which also is used with stencils but can be removed with steam. Both are put in an eraser type pad and either:
Pounce (first kind) which is patted. The second has to be rugged across the stencil like erasing a blackboard.
Chalk: Regular chalk will rub off easily so if machine quilting have to be really careful. Another is "Multi-Pastel Chalk) which is an artist pencil. It contains chalk and clay and is easy to remove with eraser and then wash out.I use this one only in white, light grey and dark grey. Stays on while machine quilting. However, I find that any chalk needs to be marked during the quilting. If the entire quilt is first marked then it will rub off while quilting.

About hand quilting. Start by practicing on 1/6" gingham check. This helps to keep the line straight and the squares to help in giving uniform stitches.
Don't try for tiny stitches at first but even stitches. Tiny will come with practice.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:33 AM

Woo. This all makes me feel much better!
Old 11-19-2010, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

Thank you for asking all of this in one place, what a wealth of information :D:D:D
Old 11-19-2010, 12:13 PM
Power Poster

Rebecca, You already got a lot of comments. I will add one about thread. Be sure not to thread your needle with a piece too long or it will tangle. I go about 15-18 inches max. I also thread several needles so that I don't have to stop and start once I get in a rhythm.
So that's my tip :)
I also love the Hera Marker for straight lines. That's a great tool!