Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Marking on white >

Marking on white

Marking on white

Old 10-21-2018, 04:57 PM
Power Poster

I use Crayola washable markers on all colors. They wash out easily when I wash the finished quilt.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:28 PM

Avoid pink, yellow and green chalk! And I've had problems with Green Crayola UltraClean Washable Marker once--had used before and only thing different is that client had started fabric first.
My favorites are water soluble blue line pen or the purple air erasable pens--test both first and once done, be sure that first "wash" is without detergent.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
White is more difficult and if I had to mark a lot, I would buy the quilter’s water erasable blue pen. If it is straight lines, I use painter’s tape on the quilt top or my Hera marker. A Hera marker works best with the batt under the top and pressing firmly on a table or hard surface. If it is simple shapes, you can cut the shape out of freezer paper and iron it to the quilt top to quilt around.
I do as Tartan mentioned, with the exception of the Hera marker. I have never heard of it. Will have to check that one out.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:07 AM

Don't just test washability on the fabric, test on the THREAD. I once had markers wash out of the fabric but cling to the thread. I'm always very reluctant to mark on my fabrics except with chalk that will brush off, and this was one of the few times I tried something else. Fortunately it only shows if I go looking for it. Or maybe I've gotten used to it and don't notice it any more.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mitty View Post
Don't just test washability on the fabric, test on the THREAD. I once had markers wash out of the fabric but cling to the thread. I'm always very reluctant to mark on my fabrics except with chalk that will brush off, and this was one of the few times I tried something else. Fortunately it only shows if I go looking for it. Or maybe I've gotten used to it and don't notice it any more.
Good idea - I usually don't even think about the thread!
Old 10-23-2018, 03:25 AM

I love blue and black Frixion pens, but find that orange, pink and red can leave a white "ghost" image behind.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:39 AM

I love LEONIS 5 Air Erasable Marking Pens Pink

. get them on Amazon. They disappear on their own, or if you want to speed up the process, you can spritz with a little water.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:41 AM
Power Poster

Hera markers are great for making a straight line in your quilt. It's a tool that makes a crease. For other designs I use chalk mostly.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:42 AM

On white I use Roxanne's grey/silver pencil. It doesn't harm the fabric over time.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mitty View Post
Great idea. I would never thought of that.