Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Marking on white >

Marking on white

Marking on white

Old 10-23-2018, 11:16 AM

Thanks to all for suggestions. I bought a couple of items mentioned from my LQS. I bought some from Amazon. I will test each one on my white and on my thread. Y'all were a goldmine of info.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:01 PM

Do you plan to wash the quilt when finished. That will somewhat determin what marker you can use.
Originally Posted by lberna View Post
Thanks to all for suggestions. I bought a couple of items mentioned from my LQS. I bought some from Amazon. I will test each one on my white and on my thread. Y'all were a goldmine of info.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:37 PM

Yes, I will wash my quilt.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Whatever you decide to use, test on scraps first to see if the marks come out/off.

Avoid
ball point pen - someone used that - it was a very bad idea. Many people also say to avoid using yellow, blue, or pink pencil/chalk type markers

One can get pale gray General Chalk Pencils - I've had good luck with the white ones rubbing off other fabrics.

I've used a lead/graphite pencil - very lightly so you can barely see the marks. I made heavy/dark lines ones once on a quilt top - thinking that the lines would rub off or be easily erased - Not!!!

Some people have had good luck using the Crayola washable markers. I have bought some, but not used them yet.
Be careful with the crayola washable. I used recently on a baby quilt..the green washed out but the orange did not.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:44 PM

I've had problems with light green chalk. Frixon has worked for me on most fabric but I did have a bit of a problem with white. Test your fabric with what you have before the quilt is marked. Good luck. I'll be checking back for what you decide to do.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by cat-on-a-mac View Post
I love LEONIS 5 Air Erasable Marking Pens Pink

. get them on Amazon. They disappear on their own, or if you want to speed up the process, you can spritz with a little water.
These are my favorite as well. I wouldn't be without them. They are also more economical than the ones found in quilt shops and they don't dry out as fast. They also make a water erasable blue one.