Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
marking your quilt >

marking your quilt

marking your quilt

Old 07-20-2012, 05:53 AM

I use the blue water soluable pens and stencils. After I complete a section, such as border etc. I use a brush and water to take the marks out as I go.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:04 AM

Love the firxion pens. Used the blue marking pen that was supposed to come out with water and never could get the blue out. Will never use those again.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by quiltykim View Post
I use the blue washout marker...always comes out with a short soak in cool water.
Me, too. I've never had any problem with them.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by happyquiltmom View Post
Sewline ceramic mechanical pencil with interchangeable leads. They wash out, or you can erase the marks. I like them because they don't have to be sharpened.
Me too my favorite tool
Old 07-20-2012, 07:07 AM

Default Negative experiences with Frixion Pens ????

Has any one had any negative experiences with the Frixion Pens resently.....i had heard that the
ink returned in cold, and therefore have not been using them
Old 07-20-2012, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees View Post
Has any one had any negative experiences with the Frixion Pens resently.....i had heard that the
ink returned in cold, and therefore have not been using them
I did my own test. If you iron them, then launder them, the marks don't return in the cold, but if you just iron them and don't wash them they return in the cold. I bought one to see for myself because I don't always believe everything people tell me. So my suggestion is to buy cheap muslin, buy a few pens and run your own tests. Thats what I did. Made small blocks drew, ironed, placed in freezer, marks came back, re-ironed the marks, placed in washing machine with laundry, placed back in freezer, marks did nor reappear. II suggest doing this test with a small portion of the fabric you intend to use it on before using the pens on the entire project

Last edited by Dolphyngyrl; 07-20-2012 at 07:43 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
I did my own test. If you iron them, then launder them, the marks don't return in the cold, but if you just iron them and don't wash them they return in the cold. I bought one to see for myself because I don't always believe everything people tell me. So my suggestion is to buy cheap muslin, buy a few pens and run your own tests. Thats what I did. Made small blocks drew, ironed, placed in freezer, marks came back, re-ironed the marks, placed in washing machine with laundry, placed back in freezer, marks did nor reappear. II suggest doing this test with a small portion of the fabric you intend to use it on before using the pens on the entire project
Thank you for sharing your experience, that is exactly what I needed to hear...
As I now always post wash my completed quilts, good to know the marks will not return
Old 07-20-2012, 10:04 AM

I swear, I have tried everything. He's my experience, for what it's worth.

When it works, pounce chalk is my current favourite. But I find it doesn't work well on heavily pieced items (like a watercolour quilt with 1" squares). And doesn't show on light fabrics. The blue pounce requires water to remove, so I haven't tried that.

I used quilter's pencils, and had a heck of a time getting the marks out (took 2 washings). I know I was pressing too hard, but I was not overly impressed - neither with how quickly I went through one pencial, trying to keep a sharp point. I some mechanical pencils (white and dark) which I haven't tried yet, so that's next.

Chalk comes off soooo easily - but it is currently my second choice marker, after pounce (or if I'm not using a stencil). I had a set of coloured chalk pencils in hand one day (I swear I've bought pretty much every type of marking tool my quilting store carries). But the store owner told me not to use it. Esp. the yellow, because it doesn't come out. So I put that one back and didn't tempt fate.

The blue water soluble works really well. And I have found that I can remove the marks simply by lightly blotting the quilt with a damp cloth (heavier blotting required if my marks are dark).

I have used the frixon pens. So far no issues, but since it requires a wash to fully remove, I'm reluctant to use. I've also read of some issues with them discolouring very dark fabrics.

I bought a white/invisible marker for darks. I hate it. The lines don't show - they supposedly get darker as it dries, but I still couldn't see the marks on my blacks.

I have disappearing ink pen - I think it is great, but disappears SO fast. I used it for handquilting, marked just a few inches at a time (I was echo quilting). And I use it for quick marking like mark & sew a diagonal across 2 squares for HST. But could never mark a quilt with it for machine quilting, because the marks would fade.

All my troubles lead me to believe that true free-motion - unmarked - is the way to go for quilting. But I'm not that brave (yet)
Old 07-20-2012, 10:17 AM
Power Poster

I use my Fons & Porter pump chalk pencil for dark fabric. It does need to be washed to completely remove it after you're done. I use Frixion pens for marking small sewing projects. I use the blue pen that removes with water for large areas of light fabrics. I am using less marking tools since my FMQ is getting better.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:31 AM

The other negative comment that I've heard about the frixion is that when used on darker fabrics, the iron is used to erase the ink, there is a "white" line left....NOW, i've not thrown it into the wash to see if that whitish line disappears w/ washing ~ I will have to do that next time. I always test the fabric to see what happens.