Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Masculine fabric; teen men/boys >

Masculine fabric; teen men/boys

Masculine fabric; teen men/boys

Old 11-30-2022, 08:55 AM

I have struggled with this as well. The males in my family like high contrast with simple patterns. I google "two color quilts" for ideas. This one was a big hit. It was black, dark gray and white. The second one was also a big hit. Both went very fast.
Attached Thumbnails arrow1.gif   blackandgrayblocks.gif  
Old 11-30-2022, 11:23 AM

One grandson's quilt had a lot of food-themed fabrics. His dad worked in restaurants to earn college money, and his uncle worked in a diner for 10+ years during high school and after. His brother's quilt was camping/outdoor themed in browns and greens. All in the family. A friend made her grandson's quilt with an auto mechanic theme. All of these were well received.
Old 11-30-2022, 06:00 PM

Liking the info, thanks
Old 11-30-2022, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
When making charity quilts, most are feminine.
when making quilts for church children, it’s hard to find male/teen fabrics.
When decorating the house, it’s hard to find gender neutral, especially male teen.

So, I’ve been looking for teen/male fabric. What motifs would male/teens like? Teen idols, rock stars, sports idols, hobbies, tools,activities with dad, extreme sports, demolition derbies, speed, and testosterone. It’s an all true statement, the difference between men and boys is the size of their toys.

My brother was a nerd. His interest was astrology. As an adult it became scuba diving with underwater photography, then computers, then knowledge.

What male interests do you think of?

Any ideas on motifs for male teens and men
My brother's was for as long as I can remember Marines--if a Marine did it then he liked it. But if a Marine never did it my brother always said it was stupid nonsense. He was sent to many schools thru the Corps to learn about computers among other things but when he retired he worked a couple of trucking jobs but now does computer repair for his family and a few (Marine friends).
Old 11-30-2022, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by mkc View Post
Please don't use novelty/themed prints. Most respondents in this topic advise solid and low-volume prints for men and boys:

Fabric for masculine quilts

The guys I know (husband, brother, brother-in-law, etc.) much prefer solids and definitely dislike theme-y prints.

Think of it this way - would you want or use a quilt with all kinds of kitschy "female-themed" prints in it?
sorry, missed this other Thread. Really liked Tim Holtz
Old 12-04-2022, 10:36 AM

spam reported
Old 12-04-2022, 12:22 PM

Maybe Martin is just trying to tell us that long URL codes are also a good theme for manly quilts.
Old 12-04-2022, 12:46 PM

LQS had many of the masculine fabrics I found on-line.
Old 12-05-2022, 09:23 AM

My husband would lay on the carpet to do some of his exercises and wanted a quilt to lay on. I made him a quilt with realistic steam engines, planes, and motorcycles which were all of his interests. I had a printed patch that said, "Your husband said that you can buy all the fabric you want" that I put on the back of it. in the corner. He loved it an used it every day.
Old 12-22-2022, 08:14 PM

All People Quilt .com has some patterns foy boys. I know it's not fabric but it may help fill in the gaps.