Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Masculine fabric; teen men/boys >

Masculine fabric; teen men/boys

Masculine fabric; teen men/boys

Old 12-22-2022, 08:34 PM

Don't forget superheros! I have a nephew wanting a black and green hulk themed quilt. He's in his 30s. :-)
Old 12-22-2022, 08:55 PM

Thanks for the reference.
Old 12-22-2022, 10:33 PM

When we make quilts for men or boys we rarely use “themed” fabrics, but the ones mentioned all sound good. We do like to use “outdoor” themes like mountains, trees, water, etc. Usually we minimize florals, and use colors and textures that would appeal to men. Patriotic, darker colors, geometric patterns, monochromatic color schemes, and plaids all appeal to a broad range of men and boys. Also the pattern itself is can help. In my opinion, stars are almost always a good choice for someone when you don’t know what their interests are, and there are lots of different types of stars. We tend to use simpler patterns for men, though if you can match a pattern to some of their interests that works well too (Carpenter’s Star, Cross and Crown, Ohio Star). Also, we have used the color scheme of a favorite sports team and that has been well received. We live in East TN so orange and white is nearly always a good choice.
Old 12-23-2022, 04:32 AM

DH requested a kokopeli quilt. Collected 5-6 pieces of fabric to create one. don't have a pic
Old 12-23-2022, 04:41 AM

I vote for skateboards, too. I've made 5 for Project Linus. Fellow volunteers LOVE LOVE them. I use lots of wild ptints for the "deck" as it's called. Just need 5*10" piece of fab. Half of a layer cake.
Here's a link. https://www.missouriquiltco.com/prod...-missouri-star
My husbnd and both sons love these quilts.
Old 12-23-2022, 04:47 AM

Oh forgot this puzzle quilt: https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/easy...attern-2821825
So much fun and you can use up scraps. Both of my gulds asked for a demo on how to make them and you can make the quilt as large as you want it.
Old 12-24-2022, 08:49 PM

Matthew 1 said anything to do with the outdoors--fishing, mountains, hiking trails, wildlife (not just elk/deer) and he said not hunting type images, motorcross, dirt bike racing, snowboarding/skiing.

Vicki said both her men do these things together and with their girls. She also said that if you do bright colors Matthew 1 is more for the darker colors. He doesn't care for the brighter ones.

Old 12-25-2022, 10:54 AM

I like the " skate board" pattern ( Man quilting's pattern), simple geometrics, " modern" designs, log cabin, 4 patch and square alternating...etc. Fabrics...plaids/ checks add in stripes & co ord solids, outdoorsy fabrics ( fishi(ing, deer polar bear etc.) , any sport from golf to basketball,
Old 12-27-2022, 01:44 PM

Why go with prints, why not go with like a grunge and geometric fabrics and solids. Thats safe for tween and teen boys.
Old 12-27-2022, 01:52 PM

Cancer treatment center here supplies fabric for quilts gifted to those receiving treatment. The fabric selection for men is slim. Right now I’m using brown plaid & there’s enough to do 2 tops.