Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
MASSIVE shrinkage - beware >

MASSIVE shrinkage - beware

MASSIVE shrinkage - beware

Old 02-07-2013, 05:54 AM

Here, Here!!!

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Let's hear it for .... the Sisterhood of the Fabric Abusers!!!
Old 02-07-2013, 05:56 AM

Good thing you prewashed!
Old 02-07-2013, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
aaaaaaaaaaah the old question resurfaces .... why wash in hot and dry on hot?

For me ....... the answer is ..... I abuse it as much as I can up front.
I know the shrinkage is dealt with.
I use the Colour Collectors to know the bleed status ... and re-wash or treat with retayne until that is under control.

Yes, abuse ... however, a far better feeling, knowing that I have done so, and minimize disaster AFTER I make a quilt.

I sure as H**** do NOT want to put all the work into a quilt, and then have it ruined when it is accidentally washed in hot water ......... or one fabric shrinks more/less than the other ......... or someone forgets to toss in a Colour Collector ............

That, Ladies and Gents, is why QuiltE pre-washes in HOT water ... and probably why many others do too!
I totally agree with you! I prewash everything just to make sure if the color is going to run or the fabric shrink that it happens before I put all the time and work into a quilt. That is a lot of shrinkage but you protected your quilt from being ruined the first time it's washed.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:31 AM

For those of us older gals who live with only a DH or alone, waiting for a "full load" means we don't sort our laundry (Gasp!) and the luckier ones have a DH who does the laundry as well. SO, my quilts have to be ready for just about anything, in or out of the laundry! Fabric had better be able to take the worst abuse up front around here.

I also dress myself out of the dryer to cut down on folding. Yep, this means I wear the same two or three outfits out here in the swamp over and over again! Sue me! Love having a washer and dryer in the bathroom!
Old 02-07-2013, 06:32 AM

I pre-wash and pre-abuse all fabrics.
Line drying is not possible when you live on the Gulf coast and have high humidity. I tried to be more eco-friendly and not using the dryer for towels and sheets. The towels would smell sour and still weren't dry. The sheets were rough and damp feeling. I gave up. A quilt would never get dry.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by mhollifiel View Post
For those of us older gals who live with only a DH or alone, waiting for a "full load" means we don't sort our laundry (Gasp!) and the luckier ones have a DH who does the laundry as well. SO, my quilts have to be ready for just about anything, in or out of the laundry! Fabric had better be able to take the worst abuse up front around here.

I also dress myself out of the dryer to cut down on folding. Yep, this means I wear the same two or three outfits out here in the swamp over and over again! Sue me! Love having a washer and dryer in the bathroom!
Glad someone else does that. They sorted in the old days to do the cleanest dirt (like sheets and pillowcases first) and the dirtiest (work clothes) last. It was a pain with a wringer washer. They didn't have auto fill.
Now it's mostly fabrics - delicate , heavy.

Since I make a lot of the stuff and won't buy specialty type fabrics - everything in the house can go in any load.
We use cold water mostly and sorted by whose laundry. The kids would do all theirs in one load. The only no-no is new blue jeans.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:15 AM

I appreciate the heads up on this issue. I like you would have assumed that top name goods would not have had this much of a shrinkage issue. Being forwarned is being forearmed.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:17 AM

Why wash anything in hot water other than whites? Normally cool to warm is what is warranted. And most quilting fabric new wold not need such stringent treatment. Just curious; but I know that many people do use this method.

Last edited by hopflower; 02-07-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:27 AM

I don't wash batting before hand but if I did I would wash it in cold water and dry at a low temp. that might help. So sorry you had this problem. It is very frustrating.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

That seems like a lot of shrinkage! Thanks for info.