Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Masterpieces of art >

Masterpieces of art

Masterpieces of art

Old 06-19-2012, 04:14 PM

I disagree with your statement. I've only been quilting since January and my work is definitely not up to the standards of some of the work I've seen posted here. I feel that the more I look and read and post the more great advice I'll get!

I've seen some incredibly beautiful work, and then I've seen some not-so-incredible work, but we're all enjoying doing what we love to do and that's the fun of it!
Think positive!
Old 06-19-2012, 04:35 PM

"Perfect" or not, I love seeing all the quilts here on the QB. Not only are they the poster's pride and joy, they are very inspirational to me. I love seeing the different way blocks are joined, and the joy of discovery when those two blocks create another design. We are our own worst critics...so post those pictures and give us a chance to see your masterpieces of art!
Old 06-19-2012, 05:22 PM
Power Poster

KSue if you need help getting your pics loaded I will try for you. I have PhotoShop 9 and Paint that I use to re-size and color-correct. Just send me a PM and we'll go from there.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:32 PM
Power Poster

I feel for you having trouble with the QB. If you PM one of the moderators they will be helpful in teaching you to post pictures and there really are all sort of quilters on the QB. I am a self taught quilter. I really enjoy not knowing everything that others do cause it doesn't matter if I make a 'mistake' or not cause I don't know better. I enjoy quilting and I am far from what most people would consider perfect. Keep on playing with the QB. It took me a long time to learn the little I do know about how it all works but I get by!
peace
Old 06-19-2012, 05:32 PM

The photos posted here give me courage and inspiration to keep trying. And I hope you will post yours. You may not feel like a professional, but many of us are rank beginners and we learn a lot from each quilt we see. So keep in mind that you are helping us and that this is not a competion, but a fun hobby we share. I haven't posted a photo yet because I haven't completed a peaced quilt. But when I do, I'll post it because I have no friends or family who is the least bit interested. You all are my only "friends" who will let me show off my work no matter how amaturish. And it will certainly be that. Keep up the good work and share you fun and quilts with us.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:44 PM

I've discovered that the pictures of my quilts often make them look much better than I think they look in person! And besides, with the camera I don't have to focus in on the boo-boo's like I do automatically when I look at it in person.
So share your pictures with us, we promise not to tell you anything derogatory, even if you ask for a critique. I've found that the people here can tell you ever so nicely what you need to do to improve without making you feel like a blithering idiot for making whatever mistake you are trying to correct.
I love this board!!!
Old 06-19-2012, 09:41 PM

just as your signature states: Only God is perfect, our quilts don't have to be, live by this motto and your quilts will come alive and everyone will enjoy them!!
Old 06-21-2012, 10:30 AM

I have to agree here, I am by no means a pro nor want to be ... and have so much to learn..I quilt for the enjoyment of it.. seeing what others have accomplished gives me ideas of what I might want to try...
This board has helped me so very much... Thanks to all for the inspiration and ideas that are submitted..
And yes I have had some trouble posting pics with this new site... but have to admit I have not taken the time to find out what I am doing wrong... one of these days I will.
I have no other connections to quilters but thru this board and love to see all the different trials, errors and accomplishments of those here.
So, what I am saying is don't give up the ship... all are here to help..
Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
I'll second what AuntPiggy has said.

KSue, If you feel that this is only for professional quilters, then I'm not sure why? I've been here for over a year and have never had that feeling. There's a lot of us regular, average-Joe's or or should I say Josie's here
I'm a long way from being a professional quilter ... and have no aspirations to become one.

As for posting of pictures, there's been many helpful threads about this in the Help Centre. Here's a link to the Archives ...
http://www.quiltingboard.com/sitemap/f-27.html

I'm far from a geek, and figured it out from How To;s that others shared.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey View Post
While the photos that some of the members here post are really "professional looking' the majority of the photos are posted by 'ordinary" quilters of all levels. My quilts are simply made and meant as a 'fun' outlet for me and as a way to share some of my joy of quilting with family and friends. So don't put yourself down and join all of us 'ordinary' quilters, we're a huge group that loves to add new members. May in Jersey
I agree with May in NJ--I am having fun with the board and quilting. I used to make my clothes and quilting is much different. I look at all the beautiful items and sigh because while I was a fairly good seamstress I am a lousy quilter. I love to switch and swatch out patterns and colour. I may start with one idea and end up with another.

My BFF says I quilt like I drive-all over the place!!! with no real idea where I am going. Quilt for yourself and don't judge your quilts or life by anyone else.

Just enjoy the board and listen to all the people here who share ideas and advice. There is a lot to learn and while we all can't be brain surgeons, we can all take out a splinter!!
Old 06-21-2012, 01:22 PM

Please don't stop....this is a wonderful place to see all levels of performance and skill. I know my attempts are far from masterpieces but I get positive re-enforcement and good advice for what is wrong. I understand I see some superb and breathtaking items on here; but anything made by hand filled with love and time is just as worthy for display!