Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Matters of Opinion >

Matters of Opinion

Matters of Opinion

Old 01-24-2011, 04:41 PM

I have made quilts for my grandchildren using the cars material by quilting around the cars. I also made quilts using Buzz and Woody material. I used the material for the backing. I appliqued pictures of Buzz and Woody from their T-shirts that were too small for them onto squares for the top. Trust me your grandson will love his "Tomater" quilt no matter what his mom says.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by cherrio
I am almost done with a new quilt for my grandson. It is a panel of "Tomater" from the movie "CARS" with quilt blocks and borders with a panel of the world on the back with quilt blocks too. His mother asked me on the ph yesterday why I didn't make him a "real" quilt? I was taken back a bit but didn't say so. I worked harder keeping the panel from getting wonky than I did on his other "real" quilts! Kinda hoping he likes it just cause his tomater is on it. do any of you feel it is crappy to use a panel? I used the world on the back so when he is older, or now, he can look at the map and know his dad Army-deployed, is There.
I think that his mother was rude to say what she did
Old 01-24-2011, 04:44 PM

I made a queen size quilt with appliqued hearts on it, 80 to be exact and all in different fabrics that took me hours. When I went to visit I was horrified to see bright blue marker all scribbled on the white background fabric so I am all for panels until the child is old enough to appreciate and take care of the quilt grandma spent hours piecing.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:59 PM

I always love panels for kids quilts. My little ones like their panel and large block quilts best of all.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
Sounds like she might be PMS-ing. He will love it and thats all that matters.
Maybe she was having a stressful day. It must be awful for both her and you with him being deployed. If you had a good relationship with her before, that could be a big part of it.It's bound to be hard for her to be mom and dad during the day and not let your grandson know how worried she is. I know you're just as worried too.It might not be the reason, but I know I know I was a case of stress when my daughter was in the Marines and she was never deployed.Seeing the globe on the back side may have brought it out when she was trying to hide it.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:00 PM

I made my Dad and Stepmom a beautiful quilt for Christmas. I took some fabric that had 6" squares of birds in a repeating pattern (Christmasy birds like cardinals) very ornate looking fabric with metallic gold swirlies and all. Anyway I backed it with a green Christmas stripe fabric, I FMQ'd each and every box of birds and it looked just like I had set each one when I was done. They probably had no idea. I loved it, if I had more fabric I would have made one for myself.

Panels are awesome. I use them alot when I'm not in the mood for messing with stuff.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:12 PM

He will love it....
Old 01-24-2011, 07:02 PM

Shame on this mom. It is a "real" quilt and carries with it the love and attention you put in all of you quilts. The one receiving this quilt will cherish it and that is all that counts. Sorry you had to have this unnecessary pain.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:24 PM

LOVE a good panel! Have a whole crate of them. They make very nice quilts, wall hangings, quillows, etc. Great for quick projects.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:31 PM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Originally Posted by cherrio
Thank you everyone for the supportive answers. This is maybe a stressed reaction to the baby due in feb and hubby deploying in may. That's what I'm going with.and I can't wait to give it to lil man
Y